WEEKLY UPDATE - 9.10.2016

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE - 9.10.2016

October 9th, 2016, 12:16 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 9th, 2016, 3:18 pm #2

Managed to sneak some time in this weekend around looking after puppy and Daughter

The Abbot is coming along, got some decals and a pin wash

And the Sabre got the same. Will be a wash on the tracks and some dirt next

And together

And got a chunk done on the Milicast M4 HST as well, and noticed a bit I forgot to sand when I looked at the photos

and its purpose in life has been started, the Milicast M1 155mm Howitzer

And the BW Models Stalwart had a shot of primer

Last edited by paul_bish on October 9th, 2016, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 9th, 2016, 4:13 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.

This is the 1/72 RPM Panhard 178 B, not a bad kit other than some shape problems with the turret and a complete lack of any
steering mechanism, all they supply are straight axles front and back sitting on leaf springs. It was also missing the armoured window
shield for the side door but that was easy enough to remedy. The rivets are not too bad but most had to be sanded down, they would have
been 2" or 3" spikes in some places if scaled to 1/1. Ideally they should be sanded off and replaced. Fit was very good overall although the
fenders took a fair bit of dry fitting and removing some rivets to get in place properly. Also the side doors should be flush with the sides
and OOB they won't be, easy fix is to just remove the step they sit in so you can push them in.

Just a few small details and weld lines added on the turret at this point.

The engine deck had a scalloping pattern across the whole part, like it was 3D printed. You can see it where the arrows and circle are. I toned it
down but wasn't able to get rid of it on the grilles without having to redo them. It was also present on the gun barrel but fainter, I didn't
even notice it until I had put primer on it.

First thing I noticed about the turret shape was the front slope on the roof needed to be greater, so I added some card to build it up.

Then I noticed that while the front of the turret was pretty much in the right spot the front 'corners' overhung the cabin far too much and the
back was too far forward. Easiest solution was to move the turret back, it solved 2 of the three most noticeable position errors. The turret
seems to be too round, should be more teardrop shaped with the front stretched out some more. The top shot shows where ideally I should have
placed the main details on the roof if it was shaped correctly, I had to just do as well as I could since I didn't feel like making a
whole new turret. The drawing, which looks wrong to me as well, at least has the layout of the hatches and view ports right.

As I already posted, I cross hatched the tires to better represent the proper chevron like pattern of the tires, as they were they were
just straight lines across.

Once again problems with the decals, this time I covered them in liquid decal film first so no problems with them falling apart but they would not
come off the backing paper. Taking so long to get them off probably caused any adhesive to disappear because once they went on they would not
stick at all, even using Future as a setting solution I can see carrier film around the 'NAM DINH' decal on the turret although to the eye I
can't see it at all.
I actually changed subject at the last minute when I found a pic of this vehicle and it had white wall tires, not sure why but I just had to build a combat vehicle with white walls, talk about class!

I have to admit that where the antenna wire enters the hull is just a guess, I had no information where it did so other than it did go somewhere in that area.

October 9th, 2016, 4:18 pm #4

Managed to sneak some time in this weekend around looking after puppy and Daughter

And together

And got a chunk done on the Milicast M4 HST as well, and noticed a bit I forgot to sand when I looked at the photos

oddly enough there is a real abbot here in texas parked at a self store facility that is fairly local to me, and a high speed tractor of some sort at another that is only a couple of miles from me.

October 9th, 2016, 4:22 pm #5

This is the 1/72 RPM Panhard 178 B, not a bad kit other than some shape problems with the turret and a complete lack of any
steering mechanism, all they supply are straight axles front and back sitting on leaf springs. It was also missing the armoured window
shield for the side door but that was easy enough to remedy. The rivets are not too bad but most had to be sanded down, they would have
been 2" or 3" spikes in some places if scaled to 1/1. Ideally they should be sanded off and replaced. Fit was very good overall although the
fenders took a fair bit of dry fitting and removing some rivets to get in place properly. Also the side doors should be flush with the sides
and OOB they won't be, easy fix is to just remove the step they sit in so you can push them in.

The engine deck had a scalloping pattern across the whole part, like it was 3D printed. You can see it where the arrows and circle are. I toned it
down but wasn't able to get rid of it on the grilles without having to redo them. It was also present on the gun barrel but fainter, I didn't

First thing I noticed about the turret shape was the front slope on the roof needed to be greater, so I added some card to build it up.

Then I noticed that while the front of the turret was pretty much in the right spot the front 'corners' overhung the cabin far too much and the
back was too far forward. Easiest solution was to move the turret back, it solved 2 of the three most noticeable position errors. The turret
seems to be too round, should be more teardrop shaped with the front stretched out some more. The top shot shows where ideally I should have
placed the main details on the roof if it was shaped correctly, I had to just do as well as I could since I didn't feel like making a
whole new turret. The drawing, which looks wrong to me as well, at least has the layout of the hatches and view ports right.

As I already posted, I cross hatched the tires to better represent the proper chevron like pattern of the tires, as they were they were

Once again problems with the decals, this time I covered them in liquid decal film first so no problems with them falling apart but they would not
come off the backing paper. Taking so long to get them off probably caused any adhesive to disappear because once they went on they would not
stick at all, even using Future as a setting solution I can see carrier film around the 'NAM DINH' decal on the turret although to the eye I
can't see it at all.
I actually changed subject at the last minute when I found a pic of this vehicle and it had white wall tires, not sure why but I just had to build a combat vehicle with white walls, talk about class!

I have to admit that where the antenna wire enters the hull is just a guess, I had no information where it did so other than it did go somewhere in that area.

love the white walls!

October 9th, 2016, 4:43 pm #6

Forgot to add that I started on the 1/72 UM Ba-3. I wanted to do a full interior since I had some good photos but the way the kit is designed was going to require a lot more work that I felt like doing. Hope to do a Ba-6 at some point, maybe then. Don't think I'll get any white walls on this one.

October 9th, 2016, 4:50 pm #7

And together

Good to see some vehicles from the end of the last century putting in an appearance. Is the Sabre a Cromwell Models one, or from CMSC? And how did you do the grass on the base?

You may have it in mind, but if not the ammo pallets need a couple of pieces of plastic strip (.010" by .020") added on each side running down over the shell cases to the top of the pallet.

October 9th, 2016, 5:24 pm #8

oddly enough there is a real abbot here in texas parked at a self store facility that is fairly local to me, and a high speed tractor of some sort at another that is only a couple of miles from me.
... Abots ended up in private hands in the US, pretty cheap and easier to Import than re-importing US manufactured equipment

And a lot of M4 HST's ended up in logging and construction, amazing how many have survived

October 9th, 2016, 5:26 pm #9

Good to see some vehicles from the end of the last century putting in an appearance. Is the Sabre a Cromwell Models one, or from CMSC? And how did you do the grass on the base?

You may have it in mind, but if not the ammo pallets need a couple of pieces of plastic strip (.010" by .020") added on each side running down over the shell cases to the top of the pallet.
The Sabre is a Cromwell one I got via Matador models and the grass base is a remade sheet from Tracks n Troops
http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/inde ... ts_id=6702

I find them really useful for longer grass

I wasn't aware of that so thanks for the tip on the pallets

October 9th, 2016, 5:29 pm #10

can't see it at all.

I bet the white walls were done for a parade of some sorts in Hanoi/Saigon