WEEKLY UPDATE 6.5.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 6.5.2012....

May 6th, 2012, 1:07 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 6th, 2012, 3:01 pm #2

Primer applied, now going to correct the flaws

May 6th, 2012, 3:16 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
A little progress since last week, I've started work on the raised roof of the Eagle. Unfortunately the existing roof is a bit concave, so right now I've put some putty on it, and am waiting for it to dry.

The hood needs a similar treatment, so right now I'm "patiently" waiting!

/Steen

Keep updated on new announcements and releases from the small scale manufacturers at http://inscalemodelling.com

May 6th, 2012, 3:18 pm #4

Primer applied, now going to correct the flaws

Looks already good Augusto. Is this an early BT 5 or a later variant? Can you point out the differences and flaws you found?
Regards, Alfred.

May 6th, 2012, 6:36 pm #5

Browsing through my spare parts and leftover bits from previous conversions led to the following sequence :

The SdKfz 234/Luchs is ready for painting. (The Puma turret will fit the MMS 1/76 Luchs...)

Waiting for Ken's PzKfw III parts to arrive I made a setup for the PzBeobW III (L). Beautiful Panzerwrecks reference and it will get a TFZ Periscope for sure !

Paperwork done on the SdKfz 6 gepanzert mit GebirgsFlaK 38. I found out there are angled plates on places were they look straight on the only three pics of the vehicle. Two dimensional pics and drawings can be very deciving.

Could I backdate a mid type Brummbar from good old ESCI to an early one ?? (Yes I could )

If I have a leftover PzKfw IV F chassis and a Hasegawa MunPz IV hull and some 5 cm PaK 38 parts could I make THIS :

If I have a Roden SdKfz 233 and some more 5 cm PaK 38 parts could I make THIS :

If I then don't need The SdKfz 233 7,5 cm StuK (Bodenlafette) I could lower it onto a Dragon ready built SdKfz 251 D and create an SdKfz 251/9 D early type ?

Regards, and keep on bashing, Alfred van Netburg

May 6th, 2012, 6:47 pm #6

though my camera finally arrived a Kodiak C183 P&S, to replace my fuji..and been getting ready for a surgery/Hospitial stay on the 9th.
Last edited by Panzer_M on May 6th, 2012, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 7:33 pm #7

Hi all!
The first one I managed to finish more or less successfully earlier this week is yet another ZiS conversion, this time it is ZiS-10 tractor with semitrailer. It is relatively obscured vehicle, not much of them were produced and the pictures are few. All of civilians, of course. Rumor has it some were used in the Soviet Air Forces at the first stage of the war but this still have to be confirmed with pictures and/or documents. I'm aware of two commercially available kits of this vehicle. The one is an old Wespe resin offering. Frankly, the only common thing this kit has with the real ZiS-10 is the name. The other such outfit offering of PST is simply not serious, being a fictional combination of a normal ZiS-5 truck and US trailer. Indeed, such trailers were delivered in that country by Lend-Lease but weren't coupled with ZiS tractors. Apparently I've had no choice than to scratchbuild most of it and here is the result so far:

This one isn't completely finished. Note I still have to replace the motorbike wheel in the cab with some convincing part more closely ressembling a steering wheel which was more usual sight in this place.
BTW, if you want to see a really good model of this thing, search around for the excellent work of Pedro Andrada.

The second is a Brit, built almost OOB. This means the two glaring errors of this kit are present on the model, and they are the wrong lower radiator shape and wrong crane type. But I like it and I'll leave it so; however, with the next I already know what to do:

The last victory of the week is a bus, it is Roden/Roden crossing:

The original kit radiator and bonnet parts are too wide and incorrect, so I used the radiator and bonnet complete with the sides from their Blitz truck. The headligts are also from it, in the truck kit they are already oversized a bit and on the bus Roden made them even bigger for unknown reasons.
The bus is loosely based on a real colour picture. I represented a vehicle from the glorious May 1940 trip over Western Europe, I like those yellow air recognition bedsheets, the only bright spot in the otherwise dull grey scheme. Of course, the distance warning on the rear is wrong marking for the period but it didn't came to me in time. I'm really thankful to Peter Bergström who pointed me this mistake! No problems to overpaint it and I'll do exactly this. So this one also isn't finished, I'm afraid
Cheers!

May 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm #8

Hi all,

Last week I moved up to the turret and made a few modification, mostly on the rear, where I replaced the MG cradle and the L frames. Is not ready yet; I must modify the loader's split hatch into a "low profile" D94598 and to add the MG barrel bracket.

Florin

florinjenica.blogspot.com

May 6th, 2012, 8:13 pm #9

Looks already good Augusto. Is this an early BT 5 or a later variant? Can you point out the differences and flaws you found?
Regards, Alfred.
Hi Alfred

Thia is an early BT-5 it will be in Spanish civil war markings. The kit is pretty good, but the hull is made of several parts and the fitting is not that good. So after the primer I will need to do some corrections on my assembly faults.

May 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm #10

Hi all!
The first one I managed to finish more or less successfully earlier this week is yet another ZiS conversion, this time it is ZiS-10 tractor with semitrailer. It is relatively obscured vehicle, not much of them were produced and the pictures are few. All of civilians, of course. Rumor has it some were used in the Soviet Air Forces at the first stage of the war but this still have to be confirmed with pictures and/or documents. I'm aware of two commercially available kits of this vehicle. The one is an old Wespe resin offering. Frankly, the only common thing this kit has with the real ZiS-10 is the name. The other such outfit offering of PST is simply not serious, being a fictional combination of a normal ZiS-5 truck and US trailer. Indeed, such trailers were delivered in that country by Lend-Lease but weren't coupled with ZiS tractors. Apparently I've had no choice than to scratchbuild most of it and here is the result so far:

This one isn't completely finished. Note I still have to replace the motorbike wheel in the cab with some convincing part more closely ressembling a steering wheel which was more usual sight in this place.
BTW, if you want to see a really good model of this thing, search around for the excellent work of Pedro Andrada.

The second is a Brit, built almost OOB. This means the two glaring errors of this kit are present on the model, and they are the wrong lower radiator shape and wrong crane type. But I like it and I'll leave it so; however, with the next I already know what to do:

The last victory of the week is a bus, it is Roden/Roden crossing:

The original kit radiator and bonnet parts are too wide and incorrect, so I used the radiator and bonnet complete with the sides from their Blitz truck. The headligts are also from it, in the truck kit they are already oversized a bit and on the bus Roden made them even bigger for unknown reasons.
The bus is loosely based on a real colour picture. I represented a vehicle from the glorious May 1940 trip over Western Europe, I like those yellow air recognition bedsheets, the only bright spot in the otherwise dull grey scheme. Of course, the distance warning on the rear is wrong marking for the period but it didn't came to me in time. I'm really thankful to Peter Bergström who pointed me this mistake! No problems to overpaint it and I'll do exactly this. So this one also isn't finished, I'm afraid
Cheers!
Great builds and they all look Fantastic, really motivating.