WEEKLY UPDATE 4.3.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 4.3.2012....

March 4th, 2012, 3:08 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 4th, 2012, 3:24 pm #2

Hi Folks,

I have been busy with my little Vickers light tank, the running gear and turret were completed and I received the Ace tracks for the T26 which I am using on this model. The photo-etch is nicely detailed but the instructions are a bit sparce. Here are the photos of my progress....

The idlers added, these are in two parts and are nicely detailed....

All the little bogie wheels, they are very,very small...

The running gear made up...

Close up of a single unit...

The running gear added to the hull, the turret is also made up...

Coming along nicely...

The photo-etch and a close up of a single run...

When it came to bending the first run I noticed that the pieces to be folded were joined in threes. With this in mind I decided to follow the instructions only as far as bending the guide horns, I then taped the run by an edge to a solid surface, a piece of plasticard in my case, and proceeded to bent the folding pieces three at a time, first one side then the opposing side. This worked really well and the entire run was completed very quickly...without any trauma.

The finished run..

The runs attached...

A close up of the runs, very easy to fit..

Well that is my progress so far, hope you like it.

All the best,

Paul

“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 4th, 2012, 3:25 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
I finished the fence for the cows...

Converted a figure...

Cheers

Sven-Åke

March 4th, 2012, 3:28 pm #4

Hi Folks,

I have been busy with my little Vickers light tank, the running gear and turret were completed and I received the Ace tracks for the T26 which I am using on this model. The photo-etch is nicely detailed but the instructions are a bit sparce. Here are the photos of my progress....

Coming along nicely...

When it came to bending the first run I noticed that the pieces to be folded were joined in threes. With this in mind I decided to follow the instructions only as far as bending the guide horns, I then taped the run by an edge to a solid surface, a piece of plasticard in my case, and proceeded to bent the folding pieces three at a time, first one side then the opposing side. This worked really well and the entire run was completed very quickly...without any trauma.

The finished run..

The runs attached...

All the best,

Paul

Photo-etched tracks!!! It scares me just to look at them.

Turns in to a very nice little model Paul!!!

Good Work!!!

Sven-Åke

March 4th, 2012, 3:33 pm #5

Hi Folks,

Coming along nicely...

The finished run..

The runs attached...

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul, are you going to have a crack at the rivets that should be on the turret ? I believe Pedro had an ingenious way to make them from alu double sided sticky foil and a needle...
Considering it is stil Braille Scale we're talking about I for one wouldn't mind at all if you didn't !!

March 4th, 2012, 3:35 pm #6

Hi all!
This week was less productive whan usual. You might have seen my JT and Hetzer combo completed few posts below. Had a lot of fun with that one up until it came to the base for the vignette. Let me use this space to give an advice or two to people planning to do their first snow covered scene. First of all the mix. It seems obvious, but the best approach is to use a really small amount of water and then add more until you get the desired consistency. I started mixing stuff with a lot of water, ran out of baking soda and ended up with a runny, milk-like muck. Another obvious advice is the grass and other bits usually found under the snow. I used autumn coloured grass (yellows, browns and reds). The snow mix made the grass look brighter with colorfull bits sticking out. That ruined my plan to do a thin, melting snow look - I had to cover all those strange looking bits. Next time I'll try a sprayover with black and dark brown before spilling the snow. All in all a good lesson. Hope to make a Cherkassy pocket vignette in the future so this won't be wasted.

From other fronts: I finished converting my Marines. They're taking a bath in dishwashing soap right now. Here's a photo from a weapon compatibility test of my BAR gunner. Must remember to straighten that barrel.

And here is something to support my Marines. This M4A3 is supposed to represent Doris on Iwo Jima. I used an Eduard hull, Trumpeter turret, UM commanders hatch and DML suspension. Probably my favorite Sherman build. I'm thinking of doing two more in the future if I find the time. With this one I have all the components for an Iwo Jima vignette. I had a look at Google Earth and it seems the famous volcanic sand is mainly on the beaches. The airfield area looks more red brown. Something to ponder about before starting the base.

I've managed to piece together my Konigstiger. Found a PE set in my E-100 box (woohoo, free PE!). I'll put the tools on after painting the camo. When I was watching Giannis nice build I noticed I layed out the cable for the light wrong. Silly me, thought it will be the same as on the JT. It's corrected now and ready for primer.

And now a few questions.
1. Some Tigers (#311 from SPzAbt 503) have an extra fitting for a Notek light on the bow spare track bracket. Can someone tell me how that was wired in? Under the fender and up the side to the standard light?
2. I have a Roden Maultier kit from which I used some suspension parts in another project. What do I need to alter in the kit to get an accurate, normal DAK Blitz?
3. Got a DML Panzer III N a while ago (quite a disappointment, I mut say). The painting guide calls for a single colour paintjob. So, what about those two colour tropen sheme orders? Would all PZ III from SPzAbt 501 have a single colour paintjob?

Ok, I guess thats all. I'll be returning to work next week so there won't be anything to post for a while. Should be back home in July. I hope this weekly report thing will still be around.

All comments are welcome!!

Cheers
Piotr

March 4th, 2012, 3:35 pm #7

I finished the fence for the cows...

Converted a figure...

Cheers

Sven-Åke
Makes me Thisty !

March 4th, 2012, 3:41 pm #8

Hi Folks,

Coming along nicely...

The finished run..

The runs attached...

All the best,

Paul

Wow, very impressive work on those Photo-Etch tracks. I notice you didn't burnish them first. Maybe they didn't need it like ACE tracks do. Still, they are most impressive looking on that model.

Sven, I was also scared of P/E tracks when they first came out. Yet when Dave O'Barr showed me how they were done, I realized how easy and painless they are to do. So, if a simple, OOB model builder like me can do it, then surely a true Master such as yourself can!
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

March 4th, 2012, 4:00 pm #9

Too much WIP so just a random selection.. Halftracks this time, always a few underway :

-SdKfz 250 with French 25mm Hotchkiss AA gun. (Altaya and Retrokit) There is a clear picture of this vehicle that I don't have from an SS unit in France, please, please can anyone dig that up for me ? This gun was also put in a SdKfz 251 C, I do have that pic...

-SdKfz 251/20 D UHU. (Altaya and CMK resin/etch) One of the few standard variants of the 251 I never finnished. After this one only the 13, 14, 15 and 18 need be done....and a thousend fieldmods...

-HDL 151/20 Aircraft turret that was fitted in the infamous Grossdeutschland SdKfz 251 D. This turret actually came in a few variants with the gun offset to the right...or left. The Revell Condor base I use has the gun on the left....it needs to be on the right ! There is a guy on the net restoring a turret like this for real !!

Alfred

March 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm #10

Photo-etched tracks!!! It scares me just to look at them.

Turns in to a very nice little model Paul!!!

Good Work!!!

Sven-Åke
Hi Sven-Åke,

If I can do it with my sausage like fingers so could you. Thanks for the comment, I hope to have some paint on this for the next update. I hope to put it in a mini-diorama with the IBG Polski Fiat command car.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur