WEEKLY UPDATE 3.6.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 3.6.2012....

June 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

June 3rd, 2012, 4:52 pm #2

My work from the last week. Is a little bit to big for Photobucket:

http://www.mc-modellbau.de/html/mc_7209.html

Comming out July/ August.

June 3rd, 2012, 6:11 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
Update for this week work : Mostly more basic painting done, not very picturepretty but a huge leap into the next steps. Takes two layers of humbrol yellow to cover the old paint. Still the old dark grey shines through, creating an unforeseen and unintended preshading effect. I guess I learnt some from Sven Ake after all! So I hope for next week to make the basic cammou schemes on the 234/Luchs, the MunHummel, the Fh 10,5 Hummel and the PzBeob III.

The 234 will get two different schemes on turret and hull to mark its fieldmod ancestry.
The Hummels will get comparable latewar hardedge threecolor schemes with sparse yellow. The Beob III will only get cammou on the turret skirt. All three will be depicted as being from the same Abteilung and my newly received Archer dry decals already give me much joy.

The 251/18 got a few Stabs decals and the radio and spotlight more paint. It almost hurts to see it so close to finish, yet not done.

Kens BefWg III E got more done on the running gear but is not in the pic. A railantennae was made and more small parts collected from the spares to detail it correctly. (All German Befehls, and Beobachting panzers were different from their basic tank variants in many small, subtle, but most important details. When finished I will try to point them out..)

The Neubaufahrzeug No 1 sits together with its Diecast Ready counterpart No 3-5. I could never match that finish so I am happy to put it straight into my collection.

Regards and see you all next week, Alfred

June 3rd, 2012, 7:43 pm #4

Hello,

First layers of paint on the big cat. I use the new AK reference but it's a bit too grey for me so I add a bit of sand and yellow.

To be continued with decal and weathering ..

June 3rd, 2012, 8:32 pm #5

Really looking forward to that, it has been easy-peasy building your Kugelblitz, it just needs some colours!

Great work!

Keep updated on new announcements and releases from the small scale manufacturers at http://inscalemodelling.com

June 3rd, 2012, 8:49 pm #6

Hi Folks,

I have been reasonably busy, but as I am doing several things all at once it seems that I have only progressed a little on each of them. I shall spend next week concentrating on getting one or maybe two things completed, depending on how much time I have to spare. I have got all the elements of the Morser done and to the point where I can just get on with washes and weathering to finish it. I have all the stuff from the MR Modellbau set to do and some crew to create, but I will do those later as I want to put this project away after all the bits have been done. I don't know if some of you get like this, the build seems to take a lot out of you and it is best to put it on one side to come back to it when you have had a break, renewed you can tackle it with a new perspective and get it finished.

I have done the detail painting on the Jagdpanzer IV and put some fine chips on the paintwork using a sponge and Vallejo German Camouflage Black Brown. I have done some streaking of the white-wash using a very diluted Vallejo white and will do some rust streaks in appropriate places. The next big step is the mud on the running gear and lower hull, I will be spattering some mud on the side skirts as well, mainly the lower portion. I don't want to overdo this and spoil the model so I will be doing it slowly and carefully.

I have started the Dragon Pz.Kpfw. V Panther G (early), unfortunately the model came without a gun barrel, fortunately I had a RB barrel for it. I had to put a plug in the mantlet to allow this to be fitted as the hole was a lot larger than the barrel, I suspect the Dragon barrel to be slightly oversize as I have always found the RB barrels to be reasonably accurate. I used the PE rain-shield, but without any folding instructions and location being vague in the instructions, I had to resort to the internet to find details of how it looked and how it fitted. The rear plate is separate and the side armour plates that protrude slightly seemed inordinately thick, so I thinned them a little before fitting the aforementioned plate.

Here are the pictures of my progress....

Morser...

Jagdpanzer IV...

Panther G

Well that's it for this week, better get on and finish something so I can start something new. I will try to get one of my 'Hall of Shame' models done as well.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

June 3rd, 2012, 8:52 pm #7

Hi Matthias,

That looks really nice, I am a sucker for any Pz IV based kit and will definitely get one of these to add to my collection. Thank you for sharing.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

June 3rd, 2012, 8:57 pm #8

Update for this week work : Mostly more basic painting done, not very picturepretty but a huge leap into the next steps. Takes two layers of humbrol yellow to cover the old paint. Still the old dark grey shines through, creating an unforeseen and unintended preshading effect. I guess I learnt some from Sven Ake after all! So I hope for next week to make the basic cammou schemes on the 234/Luchs, the MunHummel, the Fh 10,5 Hummel and the PzBeob III.

The 234 will get two different schemes on turret and hull to mark its fieldmod ancestry.
The Hummels will get comparable latewar hardedge threecolor schemes with sparse yellow. The Beob III will only get cammou on the turret skirt. All three will be depicted as being from the same Abteilung and my newly received Archer dry decals already give me much joy.

The 251/18 got a few Stabs decals and the radio and spotlight more paint. It almost hurts to see it so close to finish, yet not done.

Kens BefWg III E got more done on the running gear but is not in the pic. A railantennae was made and more small parts collected from the spares to detail it correctly. (All German Befehls, and Beobachting panzers were different from their basic tank variants in many small, subtle, but most important details. When finished I will try to point them out..)

The Neubaufahrzeug No 1 sits together with its Diecast Ready counterpart No 3-5. I could never match that finish so I am happy to put it straight into my collection.

Regards and see you all next week, Alfred

Hi Alfred,

My you have been busy with the painting, so close now, soon be finished and you can start some more wonderful oddities. I look forward to the next stages, it should be most interesting.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

June 3rd, 2012, 8:59 pm #9

I have not done so much this week, but my 3 year old son has.. Yesterday he was silent buzzy for about 15 minutes. Then I was realizing that he was at my hobby room. When I got at my room, this was what I saw. In his own words he was building models, just like dad did.

I was proud but mostly shocked! lucky he had not discovered my tools and glue!

gr Bas

www.twenot.nl

June 3rd, 2012, 9:00 pm #10

Hello,

First layers of paint on the big cat. I use the new AK reference but it's a bit too grey for me so I add a bit of sand and yellow.

To be continued with decal and weathering ..
Hi Arnaud,

This has been a very interesting model to see progress, I think you have done a splendid job on it and now it is coming to 'life' with the paint. I look forward to seeing the next stages as they should really make it special.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur