WEEKLY UPDATE 29.7.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 29.7.2012....

July 29th, 2012, 4:07 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 29th, 2012, 4:19 pm #2

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately I have been fully occupied finishing my Group Build items to be able to post anything new. However going through my Photobucket account I have found some interesting restored vehicles that I photographed at the Festival of History in 2010. I hope they will be of interest to someone.

Hopefully I will be able to show some of my work next week,

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 29th, 2012, 6:35 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
Some updates on my WIP from last week, any constructive comments welcome

Sdkfz 251
Decals and overall wash done, the decals are a let down but as this is just practice to get used to this scale it's fine.

MK IV female
Decals applied waiting for washes & weathering. The decals were a little thick, next time I think I would just use the decals to make
a stencil and spray them.

Panther F
Camo and decals done, still a little shiny from future, next up weathering

Some new models in progress

T34/85
Base coated and future'd awaiting decals

M1A1 Abrams
Lots to do

Last edited by Robert Yeatman on July 29th, 2012, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 29th, 2012, 8:39 pm #4

Hi Guys,
Finally posting some of what I've been working on.
Pegasus BT7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Pegasus Paper Panzers
OOB
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

And the Porsche based one, but I have added a Pz4 turret instead.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

And then main thing, the new Overby's Motor Pool Tiger, which is
now in base coat yellow.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Cheers
Iain

July 29th, 2012, 8:59 pm #5

Hello

I enjoyed last weeks MW GAZ-42 truck build.

I enjoyed it so much, that I dug around in my stash to see what other GAZ kits I had - and found the MW GAZ-AA armoured truck and the PST/Zebrano GAZ AAA with 61k AA gun, and the MW Ba-27M (OK this one is an armoured car, but its built on a GAZ-AAA chassis).

Somehow I managed to create 2 - 3 hours spare time every evening during the past week, so cracked on with getting these built.

By the weekend I had the GAZ-AA Armoured truck and the GAZ AAA built and ready for their initial coat of paint (along with last weeks GAZ 42 & mortar).

Pics are below.

They now need to be checked for further careful filling & sanding, before another lighter spray of paint.

The Ba-27M needs lot of rivets before further assembly (to allow good access to panel lines). I have Archer transfers for this. I'll put pictures of the progress in next weeks update.

More details of all the above are in progress builds in my blog, below,

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by neilyall on July 29th, 2012, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

July 29th, 2012, 9:55 pm #6

Not much to report, replaced the moulded lifting hooks with scratch-built wire ones:

And after some review of my resources decided to fill in the extra 'screen vents' behind as I believe this was a feature on late models and I'm attempting to represent an earlier version:

Undercoat then painting the interior:

Thanks for looking,

Adam

July 30th, 2012, 12:22 am #7

I have made some prgress of the Dragon 232 Radio Armoured Car. After some research I came down to two options for marking - a 1st SS (LSSAH) Panzer Div vehicle used in Greece in 1941, or a Grossdeutschland one from Russia 1941. I went for the latter because I liked the tactical sign for the motorcycle/reconaissance battalion on the front.

It still needs some additional stowage, then a spray of dull coat and dust.

Dave Showell
Ottawa, Canada
Dave Showell
Ottawa, Canada

July 30th, 2012, 2:09 am #8

Hi Guys,
Finally posting some of what I've been working on.
Pegasus BT7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Pegasus Paper Panzers
OOB
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

And the Porsche based one, but I have added a Pz4 turret instead.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

And then main thing, the new Overby's Motor Pool Tiger, which is
now in base coat yellow.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Cheers
Iain
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

July 30th, 2012, 7:15 am #9

Hello

I enjoyed last weeks MW GAZ-42 truck build.

I enjoyed it so much, that I dug around in my stash to see what other GAZ kits I had - and found the MW GAZ-AA armoured truck and the PST/Zebrano GAZ AAA with 61k AA gun, and the MW Ba-27M (OK this one is an armoured car, but its built on a GAZ-AAA chassis).

Somehow I managed to create 2 - 3 hours spare time every evening during the past week, so cracked on with getting these built.

By the weekend I had the GAZ-AA Armoured truck and the GAZ AAA built and ready for their initial coat of paint (along with last weeks GAZ 42 & mortar).

Pics are below.

They now need to be checked for further careful filling & sanding, before another lighter spray of paint.

The Ba-27M needs lot of rivets before further assembly (to allow good access to panel lines). I have Archer transfers for this. I'll put pictures of the progress in next weeks update.

More details of all the above are in progress builds in my blog, below,

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I found time to try some Archer Decal rivets on the turret of the Ba-27M.

The rivets I used are the second smallest, and are very subtle, and will barely be seen when painted, which should create quite a realistic effect, provided only thin layers of paint are applied. These vehicles had quite small bolt heads so should look about right.

I'll update my blog with further progress on this vehicle soon, turret not finished yet, also needs rivets on the top plate and 'cupola'.

The body will be harder than the turret to decal. And for the proverbial 'rivet counters' I won't place the exact number of rivets in all the excact right places, there are literally hundreds to put on, if I get within 90% of the correct figure I'll be happy enough

http://braillebuilder.blogspot.com.au/

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]
Neil Lyall

July 30th, 2012, 11:22 am #10

Some updates on my WIP from last week, any constructive comments welcome

Sdkfz 251
Decals and overall wash done, the decals are a let down but as this is just practice to get used to this scale it's fine.

MK IV female
Decals applied waiting for washes & weathering. The decals were a little thick, next time I think I would just use the decals to make
a stencil and spray them.

Panther F
Camo and decals done, still a little shiny from future, next up weathering

Some new models in progress

T34/85
Base coated and future'd awaiting decals

M1A1 Abrams
Lots to do

Hi Robert,

Well you seem to be well and truly bitten by the 'Braille Bug', you are off to a flying start and all the builds are of excellent quality. I think the decal problem is one we all encounter, what would be ok on a bigger model can appear slightly too thick on a braille model. I would like to try dry print transfers if I could locate any, I think they would be more scale and produce a better finish. Well done with all your builds, look forward to further updates with interest.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur