WEEKLY UPDATE 22.9.2013....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 22.9.2013....

September 22nd, 2013, 10:24 am #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.

Neil Lyall
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

September 22nd, 2013, 10:32 am #2

I'm having another go at upgrading the ancient Airfix Sherman:

I'm hoping to turn this one into the famous USMC M4A2 'Cecilia'.
Last edited by Sgt.Squarehead on September 22nd, 2013, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Smith
Worcester, UK
обезьяны собираются к звездам

September 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.

Neil Lyall
Well I'v gotten a "little" farther along on this.....
I have been concentrating on the stowage box this week.

There are a couple of complecated air traps
that cause me to pause about molding this.
I will have to study it be deciding how to do it.

for some of you out there,
I thought that you would like to see just what I did to this.

now.....there have been a few more changes done and the upper hull is now in the rubber.
once I have a cast of it, I'll have a better idea, of what else needs to be done.

September 22nd, 2013, 12:03 pm #4

Neil Lyall
I've been working on the S-Model kit which overall is very good indeed. I've started replacing the running gear, using a spare set of early T-72 outer roadwheels from the Revell T-72M1 kit. The inner roadwheels wheels are cast copies of a modified Revell outer wheel. The kit wheels are generally good but have over-pronounced ribs on the rubber portion.

I've also been replacing the kit's quick assembly track. I cut a single link from one of the track sections and cast resin copies (the shorter length sections have better detail on them). A tedious job and I just need to start casting them for the other side. I opened out the solid sprocket and transplanted some details from the Revell one.

September 22nd, 2013, 3:26 pm #5

Neil Lyall
Taking a break from my more frustrating group build.

Overall this a nice kit for a quick build. Had to rework the belly and suspension some to make it more like what I've found on the web and in my few references. Kit tires are not perfect but acceptable. The extendable belly wheels aren't the best though, so I thought I'd hide them somewhat by trimming them some to allow them to sit up behind the skirts versus the extended position that come with the kit.

On another note, is it just me, or does the turret somewhat resemble to top of a Dalek?

al

al magnus
On the Way contributor, editor & one who has no lack of success (see definition of success below).

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

September 22nd, 2013, 3:29 pm #6

Neil Lyall
I have finished the assembly stage. By the moment of posting this I have already primed it and even added an anti-ditching log. this is an Airfix kit just in case

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by Dmitry206 on September 22nd, 2013, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 22nd, 2013, 4:22 pm #7

I've been working on the S-Model kit which overall is very good indeed. I've started replacing the running gear, using a spare set of early T-72 outer roadwheels from the Revell T-72M1 kit. The inner roadwheels wheels are cast copies of a modified Revell outer wheel. The kit wheels are generally good but have over-pronounced ribs on the rubber portion.

I've also been replacing the kit's quick assembly track. I cut a single link from one of the track sections and cast resin copies (the shorter length sections have better detail on them). A tedious job and I just need to start casting them for the other side. I opened out the solid sprocket and transplanted some details from the Revell one.

But have gone a whole different route of trying to get all steel version instead of the pads, let you know how I get on. Shame you can't use the digital pattern, that would test your preparation skills

Simon.
Simon Barnes

September 22nd, 2013, 4:39 pm #8

Damn!! You're going to get me going on these now! (Excellent work BTW, must have taken some time to cast all those tracks)
Regards,
Steve

September 22nd, 2013, 4:54 pm #9

But have gone a whole different route of trying to get all steel version instead of the pads, let you know how I get on. Shame you can't use the digital pattern, that would test your preparation skills

Simon.
Thanks Simon, I considered modifying a link to make the steel type but I was happy enough to keep with the pads. I hope you come up with a good solution.

Perhaps it's for the best that the digital pattern (so far) seems to only be on new builds!

Alex

September 22nd, 2013, 4:55 pm #10

Damn!! You're going to get me going on these now! (Excellent work BTW, must have taken some time to cast all those tracks)
Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve, yes the tracks did take quite some time to cast, clean up and assemble! I've still got the other side to do, so more fun lies ahead!

It's an interesting subject with quite a few components from the T-72 but with a very different look.

Alex

Last edited by alex clark on September 22nd, 2013, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.