WEEKLY UPDATE 22.4.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 22.4.2012....

April 22nd, 2012, 1:54 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

April 22nd, 2012, 2:17 pm #2

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, due to a serious family problem and a death in the family, I have not been very active on the modelling front this week. Hopefully I will be back to my normal modelling output very soon. I have lots to finish and lots of projects I want to get started on, but isn't that the lamentation of most modellers.

However, for your delectation and amusement, I am posting some photos of old builds that may be interesting.

A Leman Russ tank of the Space Wolves Chapter....not quite braille scale, but close. I am about to sell all my wargaming stuff, as I don't do it now and have decided to devote all my spare time to 'serious' modelling.

A group photo of my Late War German wargames army, this is now redundant and the models used for display at shows with my local model club.

If I manage to get something done in the next day or so I will post some progress.

All the best,

Paul

“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

April 22nd, 2012, 2:44 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
Please accept my sincere condolences, Paul. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

My progress on the Sherman is small; I managed to work a little on the front. The most difficult part was to recreate the horn protection, and the periscopes brush-guards.

Cheers to all,
Florin

florinjenica.blogspot.com

April 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm #4

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, due to a serious family problem and a death in the family, I have not been very active on the modelling front this week. Hopefully I will be back to my normal modelling output very soon. I have lots to finish and lots of projects I want to get started on, but isn't that the lamentation of most modellers.

However, for your delectation and amusement, I am posting some photos of old builds that may be interesting.

A Leman Russ tank of the Space Wolves Chapter....not quite braille scale, but close. I am about to sell all my wargaming stuff, as I don't do it now and have decided to devote all my spare time to 'serious' modelling.

A group photo of my Late War German wargames army, this is now redundant and the models used for display at shows with my local model club.

If I manage to get something done in the next day or so I will post some progress.

All the best,

Paul

My condolences as well, may you find strength and peace in your time of loss.

You models look outstanding, and I love the late war wargaming army. If I had the spare funds, I'd buy it since I am still wargaming and need to beef up my German armor a bit more. Good luck on the sale and take care. Family comes first.

I'll post my progress later today.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

April 22nd, 2012, 3:46 pm #5

My condolences Paul there isn't words to say about this thing.
This week nothing with my Middle East items but hope you like my show report.

Angelo

April 22nd, 2012, 6:28 pm #6

My condolances to you Paul, wishing strength to you and your family.

Some progress was made this week both in real work as in putting pieces together in my mind. Also some interesting models and accessory parts came in (see some posts below).

Basicly finished the Panzerbefehlswagen III K on L base. Needs paint now and the pictures show me I need to take care of crooked idlers. (The original model was given to me by a friend).
I kept the vehicle in the L configuration as much as possible but put on the details that are shown on the real vehicle pic I have. Only need to make a message basket at the back of the commanders cuppola.

Detail work was done on my two Mice, inspired by the beautifull paintwork and model seen last week.
Close up pics to show the grating and enginedeck detail, the boltholes for the wading shaft, gun sliding mount, holes in the deck armor posts. the Mouse 1 needs more frontdeck and hatch details as per Panzertracts. I cut off the exhaust down to mounting flange as I could not see them on the Alkett test drive pics, which is the one I make. I still need to think a way to make the three little Mouse cartoons that were chalked on this vehicle...

The Vickers Mk VI / Marder X is basicly complete too. I had to extend the rear armor outwards to accomodate the large recoiling PaK 40. I still think it would have needed a rear spade to keep stable and that was probably the reason the project was abandonned. A picture of the Vickers Mk VI FH 16 variant is shown for comparison.

It made me realize this was actualy going to be the first Marder untill it was wisely decided to use the Lorraine chassis, which became the actual Marder I. The resemblance is clearly there as it is also there with the Somua MCG PaK 40 combi.
These were all the first rearmounted PaK 40 experiments leading to the famous Marder series.

Happy Steyer 640 update to follow on the medical group update.

Regards, Alfred

Last edited by alfred250251 on April 22nd, 2012, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 22nd, 2012, 6:45 pm #7

My progress on the Sherman is small; I managed to work a little on the front. The most difficult part was to recreate the horn protection, and the periscopes brush-guards.

Cheers to all,
Florin

That is nice work florin, did you make that yourself or did you use an accessory set. I think homebuilding gives a lot more satisfaction and good skill building. The materials are easy to find too ; electrical wire, tea bags, oilfilter mesh or my favorite : whinebottleneck metal sheating !!

Cheers, Alfred

April 22nd, 2012, 7:04 pm #8

Sorry to hear the bad news Paul, my condolences! My first thoughts were to skip the news this week but later I've decided it is possible the pictures of this weekly update (not necessary of my models!) will help you to recover faster. Sorry if I'm wrong.

I have some winners here this week, the first winner is Mussolini. I have no idea what he won but one of the slogans ("Duce vinceremo") on the Fiat 626 says so:

The model is loosely based on this picture:

The second winner this week is my modest person, for I managed to survive the wrestling with this desperate thing below. It lasted more than 2 months but I'm afraid to say it is finished:

The starting point was the Hobby Boss crap, of course.

And the last finished thing this week, in fact it was finished last Summer but I needed almost a year to etch a nameplate for it! Considering I'm in the etching business, this is a real shame. However, now it is really finished at last!

The Morris CS8 is converted Airfix CDSW Bofors tractor, the trailer is DIY and the diorama is based on a series of pictures found in Ebay:

Cheers!

April 22nd, 2012, 7:52 pm #9

My condolences as well, may you find strength and peace in your time of loss.

You models look outstanding, and I love the late war wargaming army. If I had the spare funds, I'd buy it since I am still wargaming and need to beef up my German armor a bit more. Good luck on the sale and take care. Family comes first.

I'll post my progress later today.
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your kind thoughts, the loss is my Wife's side of the family and a much loved Aunt, the family crisis is ongoing and will take time to sort out.

I hate to disappoint you, but I am not selling the Late War German army, just the Warhammer 40,000 stuff as I don't play it anymore now my son has grown up, a relative term as all children remain 'little' to parents no matter their age. Lots of fun on Ebay for the forthcoming months, this will create more space for a larger stash. With the profits I may invest in a PE bending tool, about time I got one.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

April 22nd, 2012, 7:59 pm #10

Cheers to all,
Florin

Hi Florin,

Thank you for your kind thoughts, much appreciated.

Your build is quite remarkable, I find your use of wire and brass quite inspirational. The tank is looking good so far and I can't wait to see what you are going to be doing to it next.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur