WEEKLY UPDATE - 22.1.2017

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE - 22.1.2017

January 22nd, 2017, 1:11 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

January 22nd, 2017, 1:27 pm #2

All

Here is my simple, unambitious model of the Russian T-40, using the nice S-Models kit. Most of the changes/detail additions are evident from the photos – I still have to make the headlights and add a few other details. I wanted to improve the moulded-on look of the tools on the trackguards and the rather solid-looking air intake: I’m not sure that the EB screening that I used for the latter is quite right, but it was the best that I had to hand. In contrast, I’m quietly satisfied with the way that the scratchbuilt 12.7mm DShK MG turned out.

The track teeth are the usual S-Models ‘ridges’, but are particularly prominent on this kit. I improved the look of the lower track run by removing the short sections between each roadwheel, cutting/filing the gap in which the roadwheel would run and then cementing the section back in place. The part will retain adequate strength if you only remove one section at a time and use plenty of liquid cement when replacing it. It’s also important to guillotine the section out with a craft knife: a saw will remove material, even if only a small amount. Not much else to say about the build, but at least it has the right number of roadwheels…

Andy Lang

<a href="http://postimage.org/app.php" rel="nofollow">

</a>
<a href="http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow"></a>
Last edited by Andy Lang on January 22nd, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'No, I don't know what I'm doing. I never did'. (Carol Aird, 1952)

January 22nd, 2017, 1:56 pm #3

Nice bit of modelling Andy, very neat and tidy and without doubt a great improvement on the basic kit. The mesh looks fine too.

January 22nd, 2017, 2:53 pm #4

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
Back in Dec. when I picked up the Airfix USAAF Bomber re-supply kit I figured I could whip out the Cushman package Car really quickly for an OOB contest! Then those darn, really good marketing guys at Eduard said, "Hey we are doing etch for that kit!!!!"
Well here is the result, to date;

the complete etch sheet for the re-supply kit, the missing parts are in the next pic!

OK going around the parts starting at the left with the parcel box & lid in etch. These two replace the plastic box just in front of the bumper (top) and will go on the forward part of the frame. The frame has 2 pieces of etch, the front bumper and the foot pedals, these were fun, but I left the etch attachment point from the bottom of the piece on the pedals then drilled a small hole in the floor and glued the pedals in place using the attachment point as a pin! The 2 pieces to the right of the frame are the seat and engine cover (one piece) and the engine compartment. The compartment has 2 etch covers to replace raised plastic detail, the pedal showing on the front (still needs a pad 1mm square!?!?!) and the tail light bezel with a protective frame over the light, you can see the frame in the lower r/h corner of the etch sheet above, (#84) the cross! The handle bars only get one piece of etch a bracket from the vertical bar to the parcel box as a support!
Since the parcel box has a lid it seems rather silly not to have it open?!??! So when attaching the head lights (kit plastic) I drilled tiny holes in the side of each one to simulated wiring inside the box!?! Eduard gives you an etch chain for the open lid! I will try to make some packages to go in the box!
You don't have to be crazy to do this hobby, but.......

Cheers
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.

January 22nd, 2017, 3:50 pm #5

Hi everybody, this is the current status of my Smerch. Coming along with it well last week it then turned out to be a desaster. The dull coat I had applied as last step before the wheathering made strange white stains - the Smerch now looks like it had received a white wash. I hope that I can tone it down somehow with a darker wash but I am afraid that it won't work.

All the best

Marc

"Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again"
(Alter Bridge - Song "Blackbird" - Album "Blackbird" 2007)

January 22nd, 2017, 4:03 pm #6

All

Here is my simple, unambitious model of the Russian T-40, using the nice S-Models kit. Most of the changes/detail additions are evident from the photos – I still have to make the headlights and add a few other details. I wanted to improve the moulded-on look of the tools on the trackguards and the rather solid-looking air intake: I’m not sure that the EB screening that I used for the latter is quite right, but it was the best that I had to hand. In contrast, I’m quietly satisfied with the way that the scratchbuilt 12.7mm DShK MG turned out.

The track teeth are the usual S-Models ‘ridges’, but are particularly prominent on this kit. I improved the look of the lower track run by removing the short sections between each roadwheel, cutting/filing the gap in which the roadwheel would run and then cementing the section back in place. The part will retain adequate strength if you only remove one section at a time and use plenty of liquid cement when replacing it. It’s also important to guillotine the section out with a craft knife: a saw will remove material, even if only a small amount. Not much else to say about the build, but at least it has the right number of roadwheels…

Andy Lang

</a>
Well done Andy. That MG came out really nice. I noticed you didn't use the PE that comes with the kit and wondering why?

Pete
Pete Marshall
Aleran Minis
Michigan, USA

January 22nd, 2017, 4:34 pm #7

Started FT17 from Flyhawk. Great kits :

[/IMG]

Then two resin ones : Brach Lancia Aprilia Coloniale and Germania Gräf & Stift KUK Staffcar

[/IMG]

Base from DIO72 (Part of their Factory ruin)

[/IMG]

And something for fun : GHQs MTVR MK.23 and LAV Family :

[/IMG]

Thats it for the Weekend.

Bye
Jörg

Last edited by Joerg Fiedler on January 22nd, 2017, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2017, 4:39 pm #8

All

Andy Lang

</a>
the modifications are looking very good. You might take a look here :

http://www.o5m6.de/t_40.html

Hope to see it painted soon.

Bye
Jörg

January 22nd, 2017, 4:42 pm #9

Back in Dec. when I picked up the Airfix USAAF Bomber re-supply kit I figured I could whip out the Cushman package Car really quickly for an OOB contest! Then those darn, really good marketing guys at Eduard said, "Hey we are doing etch for that kit!!!!"
Well here is the result, to date;

the complete etch sheet for the re-supply kit, the missing parts are in the next pic!

OK going around the parts starting at the left with the parcel box & lid in etch. These two replace the plastic box just in front of the bumper (top) and will go on the forward part of the frame. The frame has 2 pieces of etch, the front bumper and the foot pedals, these were fun, but I left the etch attachment point from the bottom of the piece on the pedals then drilled a small hole in the floor and glued the pedals in place using the attachment point as a pin! The 2 pieces to the right of the frame are the seat and engine cover (one piece) and the engine compartment. The compartment has 2 etch covers to replace raised plastic detail, the pedal showing on the front (still needs a pad 1mm square!?!?!) and the tail light bezel with a protective frame over the light, you can see the frame in the lower r/h corner of the etch sheet above, (#84) the cross! The handle bars only get one piece of etch a bracket from the vertical bar to the parcel box as a support!
Since the parcel box has a lid it seems rather silly not to have it open?!??! So when attaching the head lights (kit plastic) I drilled tiny holes in the side of each one to simulated wiring inside the box!?! Eduard gives you an etch chain for the open lid! I will try to make some packages to go in the box!
You don't have to be crazy to do this hobby, but.......

Cheers
wasnt Aware of the PE set. Hope to see some progres soon.

Bye
Jörg

January 22nd, 2017, 4:51 pm #10

Hi everybody, this is the current status of my Smerch. Coming along with it well last week it then turned out to be a desaster. The dull coat I had applied as last step before the wheathering made strange white stains - the Smerch now looks like it had received a white wash. I hope that I can tone it down somehow with a darker wash but I am afraid that it won't work.

All the best

Marc

There was talk on Track links that humidity is the foe of clear flat coats. I believe the recommendation was to try again and to either use a blow dryer to dry

the model or set on a fan/dehumidifier while it dries.