WEEKLY UPDATE 20.5.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 20.5.2012....

May 20th, 2012, 4:32 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 20th, 2012, 4:37 pm #2

Ive finally got some progress pics ready for the weekly post(!) This is a resin BTR-70 from a Russian company, Aria Master. The master was created on a 3D printer and is precisely done with fine, sharp detail. I added the various metal fittings, such as the brass grab handles, light guards, coaxial MG and tool clasps. I also added a few extra bits, some shown in white and a few others that were cast as resin copies, such as the light over the driver periscope. Ive still got some stowage to add, along with the aerial and jerrycan straps. I believe theyll be releasing a BTR-80 next.

The final shot shows a replacement ventilator cover that I forgot to attach for the earlier shots.

Regards

Alex

May 20th, 2012, 4:49 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
Been a couple of weeks since I managed to make it to post but have managed to tip away at the 232, and am calling the bones of the weathering done, some stowage to go on etc but happy with how it's all turned out so far;

pic quality not great I know but thanks for looking

Adam

Last edited by panzermad2 on May 20th, 2012, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2012, 5:22 pm #4

These are the last modifications of the turret. I have a few more steps on the hull and then is ready for the Olive Drab.
Cheers!
Florin

florinjenica.blogspot.com

May 20th, 2012, 6:29 pm #5

I started to paint and weathering my latest model that i posted here some weeks ago.
Here's some pics, but sorry if the quality isn't so good
Paolo

Engine

Complete hull

May 20th, 2012, 6:29 pm #6

I've been working on this the last 3-4 days, and have just put a base coat on it today (black).

It's the usual MACO(and Revell) quality, so it goes together without any issues!

Hopefully I'll have more updates on the resin Eagle IV I've been working on next week. Too much putty/epoxy/sanding for my taste right now!

/Steen
Last edited by PrivateJson on May 20th, 2012, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2012, 6:41 pm #7

Hello everyone, good progress was made this week and my two medical groupbuild subjects finished. They will be shown in their update tomorrow.

Last weeks oddballs went to the paintshop for their first layer of yellow. I am still affraid to use all those wonderfull techniques shown in the booklet from Sven....hope my wife will someday lend me her hairspray....we'll see later on...maybe first try out on a simple "out of the box" model.

The Hummel variants will go nicely together with their dedicated PzBeobW III. The latter got its two periscopes : the TFS 1 and the TBF 2, and the fake gun/MG combi. They will all receive a similar (handpainted) cammou scheme, as will the SdKfz 234/Luchs.

The PzKfW IV F mit 88 mm was made up with part of the crucifix switced between the side hullplates and a forward and aft bulkhead. Threadplate was fixed below as pics show people standing in there low. No pictures to validate this but common technical sense justifies my solution....

Also progress on the Overby PzBefW III E. Decided to fully dedicate an ESCI PzKfW III M as a donor for various parts like the fenders and antennae bases.
Made up the frame antennae with garbage bags binder thread and the ever useful poles from the Esci SdKfz 250/3.

I have now established, by carefully comparing pictures, that the (fixed) turret on the Befehlswagen was fixed some 25 - 30 cm further forward on the hull compared to the standard tank as to clear the engine deck plate. (The turret on the standard PzKfw III E needed rotation for some 30 degrees to clear it)

Here are the pics, comments welcome ant thanks for looking, regards, Alfred.

Paintshopped 234/Luchs, Mun. Hummel and Hummel mit 10,5 cm LeFH 18

PzBeobW III H/G with Periscopes TFS 1 and TBF 2

Setup on the Pz IV 88 combi. Bulkheads scratchbuilt, drivers roof lowered.

Bef III E with altered mast and hatch configuration. This turret did not need the fumes extractor ventilator placed on turrets with a working gun.

All parts laid out makes for a nice "arty" pic. Tools of the trade there too like dentist drills...

May 20th, 2012, 7:37 pm #8

Hi all!
Is it funny co-incidence? I see this week the main theme (till now at least)is German oddballs.
Just to prove I'm not that desperate softskin die-hard, have here something on tracks at last, one of the oddities of the famous 653rd heavy Tank Destroyer Battalion, an ex-Bergepanther converted to Flakvierling carrier, for company of their also famous T-34 Flakvierling, perhaps.
The best of this project is that no picture of the real thing is available, it is only mentioned in the reports, so it was fast build indeed. The camo and the tools layout are pure guess, of course. The only reference on this odd vehicle I'm aware of are the drawings of Karl Horvat, apparently also guessed.
Here it is, the marriage of Revell Ausf. A/D hull (with minor upgrades) and the old Hasegawa Flakvierling with PE shields and turned RB barrels:

And in the company of her sister from the same unit, the commander's Panther, also a bit unusual with its Pz IV turret:

The real commander's tank is also an ex-Bergepanther and again (brain)child of Stabsfeldwebel Anton Brunnthaler, battalion's Master Armourer. This is old model (Revell/Revell crossing) built long ago and, of course and as always, later it turned out it is wrong. So most probably I'll build new commander's Panther and this one will be backdated to Bergepanther, which in fact it was in its first real life.
At last but not least, sorry fot the poor quality pictures, the weather is dull here in general and the light isn't good (second week in a row).
Cheers!

May 20th, 2012, 8:24 pm #9

I started to paint and weathering my latest model that i posted here some weeks ago.
Here's some pics, but sorry if the quality isn't so good
Paolo

Engine

Complete hull

Eeeeeehm, I think I will need to delete my update on my pz IV /88 Paolo. This one surpasses it in all respects...
The only defence I have is that mine is based on old kits.

Stunning work man, great detail on the engine parts!! Looks like it 's ready to run!

What is your solution as to how the gun was fixed on the inside or bottom? There was a driveshaft running under there so that needs to be kept clear. You can see my other solution to this problem below.

I like your threadway setup very much and it is a better solution than lowering the whole driversroof as I did...
This looks more logical although the driver was obviously not a happy guy and would need some bracing back and front or he would lose some teeth or his head at the very first hard brake stop....

Respect and regards, Alfred
Last edited by alfred250251 on May 20th, 2012, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2012, 8:29 pm #10

Hello

here is my latest build, the Profiline Steyr 1500 truck.

Unusually. I have this kit built and paint job mostly finished, in under a week.

This was due to mostly sleepless nights during the week, where I decided to use the time spent being kept awake by focusing on this build. (Cause of lack of sleep was noisy road 'improvements' that can be only done at night when traffic is light, and the road can be closed).

I failed to take any "in progress" shots up till now, fatigue must have clouded my mind, but oddly enough each night I was still able to focus well enough to get what is not an easy build into fairly good shape.

The kit is not without its issues. Good points are quite crisp casting for the most part, though depth of detail is light, the light depth is probably 'in scale'.

Parts were very heavily attached to the sprue gates and some annoying flash on some parts. A few small fit issues as well with the cab to the firewall. Cab doors have to be thinned to look better and to fit correctly. Also the kit pieces lack any cast on connecting points, at times requiring plenty of test fitting to work out exactly where some major parts are to be joined, in this scale on such a small truck, wrong placement by even half a millimetre needs to be avoided.

The kit is built from the box, with only additions being gear and hand brake levers, made from brass rod, with water filter balls attached as 'knobs'. I would ordinarily use stretched sprue for gear levers, but this vehicle has some curved levers, so brass was the better choice to bend nice curves into. Pictures of real vehicle cabs can be found on the web for shape and positioning of these.

The drive shaft was also too short to reach the differential, so one part was replaced with stretched sprue. The differential is cast very flat, mostly differential housings are rounded or onion shaped, I suspect this one has been cast a bit too flat, but its virtually unseen from the side due to the rear wheels and leaf springs. I also replaced the 2 foot step supports on either side of the cab with wire.

Only other really obvious thing wrong was no concave circle at the front of the bonnet and no bonnet handle. The concavity was easy to do with a drill bit, and a handle will be made from wire.

I also intend to replace side door handles with wire, and add some of Ilian's excellent little etch window wipers. Also will replace the kit headlights and find a Notek light for it, and replace the 'width indicators' with brass rod and small water filter balls.

There may be other issues with the measurements or shape of some parts - I really don't know, its not much my idea of fun to get out calipers and a calculator and do an 'audit' of measurements, probably someone has done that already anyway.

Still have some little tidy up jobs to do, including the seat base, and anything else the macro lens reveals that my old red eyes can't otherwise see.

This kit is no harder than any ACE or MW kit to build, and the instructions are a bit inexact as to exact positioning of parts, but in my opinion is a great looking little vehicle & worth the effort, it should look great with the Horch Ambulance in the late war convoy, where its destined to be placed.

cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Neil Lyall