WEEKLY UPDATE - 2.10.2016

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE - 2.10.2016

October 2nd, 2016, 11:45 am #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 2nd, 2016, 1:04 pm #2

...so you may want a drink and/or some popcorn!?
I got one of the axles in place but I'll tell you the 'F' word on the tip of my tongue!! You have to balance 2 support arms and a drive axle and your glue of choice!! So you can see where the 'F' word was out! It really got 'F'rustrating at times!!
OK pics are worth words so here goes; the frame pretty much complete plus the one axle

close up of axle assembly, with a wheel dry fit in place. You ain't gonna see much when that big fat tire is attached!!!

another couple of views

things to watch out for

the circles show where the suspension arms fit, I did not glue them right away (may have been the 'F' problem?) and the arrow shows where the axle goes. I put the axle into the gear box but it is hard to see so a couple of attempts with tweezers were needed!! You MUST follow the instructions for this assembly weak as they are they do help!!
Glue these 2 parts together then let the glue dry and do your filing before trying to attach the arms!

The suspension arms must be cleaned up while still attached to the sprue!! Unless you like broken parts!?!

this shows the sprue with the arms, the ones on the right have been cleaned up (rather heavy mold lines) and I spent some extra effort sanding the ends that go into the chassis, as you don't want to be sanding them while on the axle assembly!! The 'WL' stands for weak link, this part of the arm is a flat piece and easy to break when removing, the arrow shows it better.
I will be cutting these off the sprue with my Tamiya .01 mm saw!

The erector is another spot where you may want to approach your friendly plastic surgeon and ask for another pair of arms!!?!!
The arm (thing with 3 lightening holes) has no locating pins, just flat surfaces to hold together while glueing!! Oh I forgot to mention you need to capture the one end of the hydraulic ram, oh and get the 2 pivot pins into each side of the erector frame!!?!! This is where the extra 2 arms would be handy!!

A couple more shots;

More fun, at each end of the erector arm are the missile tube attachment boxes, these are 7 piece assemblies!! Guys when you are putting these together - 'Test fit, test fit, test fit!!!!'

You can see the putty because of some small gaps after glueing!

Now on the end of the above assembly is a frame between the tubes, and I think Modelcollect has a big problem here!! There appears to be a short shot problem here except you can see it's not short shot, it seems like part of the mold was missing or blocked???

You see the parts in the red circles, well look at the part (top) and you can see the stubs??? Nothing in the instructions about using plastic rod to join the 2 parts? Also the half circles show where these parts should be longer according to the instructions??? Since I am not eager to join facebook maybe someone who is interested in this and a member can ask Modelcollect what happened?

There is also another couple of parts that look like a shelf unit behind the spare tire deck that also do not have the dowels that they should have!!!

Just for fun I started to build the shed from the other TEL which is in the kit anyway.

This will be an impressive kit once assembled but getting there.....

And I want all the MAZ series kits!!??!!??!!
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.

October 2nd, 2016, 3:12 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
I finally had a chance to work on models for the first time in over a month. I've been overwhelmed with a whole mess of things coming at me all at once; including more work than I can shake a stick at. I'm thrilled to be working, yet was pleasantly surprised at the chance to take a day off this week. This gave me a chance to get some modeling done and boy did it feel good!

This will be a short update given how little I've been able to build as of late.

Since I finally got the Pershing II missile system some time ago, I was eager to get started on it. The first thing I found was an interesting concept: the missile was broken down into six parts that had to be assembled:

[/img]

I started by cementing two of the quarter sections together to make halves, then I cemented the two warhead halves together:

[/img]

Next I put the whole thing together:

[/img]

Not bad, but it's going to take a lot of cleanup. What an ordeal that was trying to get that all lined up!

Speaking of ordeals, next I started the chassis. This was not good: this kit went old school requiring you to take the chassis rails and cross braces and assemble them into a perfectly lined up and squared off chassis:

[/img]

After that, I had enough. The rest of this went back into the box for another day.

I didn't stop there with the difficult builds. This one is for you John Lewis: I pulled out the Russian Armored Train and went to work on two more of the quad maxims. What a mindbogglingly frustrating adventure that was! I did manage to finally get them assembled; after having them break apart numerous times every time I tried to adjust them or add something else. They are not perfectly aligned, but they are done!

First Part:

[/img]

Second part:

[/img]

Anyone who says anything about them being misaligned can assemble my last two for me and show me how it's supposed to be done!

Once the guns were done, I assembled and installed the mounting posts for these quads on the two places they needed to go. One goes on the little ZIS-5 truck:

[/img]

Which then gets mounted on a flatcar:

[/img]

The space in front of that truck will be holding a 47mm anti-tank gun.

The second quad gun goes on the engine and tender:

[/img]

Once I get the rest of the P/E on the two long flatcars (one holds the truck and gun, the other holds the BT-5) and on the two smaller flatcars, this while thing will be ready for paint.

FINALLY!

After all this crap, I decided to go back to something simple. I pulled out the Command Boxer and started the second color on the three-tome camo pattern:

[/img]

[/img]

Later on I'll add the third color. Then I'll be able to clearcoat both Boxers and the Fuchs and decal them all, give them washes and then get them finished.

After this, I figured it was time to move on with my Japanese Patriot system. I finished off the trailer; adding the wheels later after these pics were taken:

[/img]

[/img]

Next I went back and painted the interior of the cab. Then I assembled the cab and added it to the main chassis:

[/img]

[/img]

I know it appears that the cab is leaning forward, but I assure you it is straight. The whole thing is an optical illusion. I should know; I kept checking the cab alignment every few minutes!

That being said, the cab is set up so it does tilt forward to show off the engine. I thought that was pretty cool!

Here's a couple shots of the whole thing put together. This is pretty impressive:

[/img]

[/img]

All I have now to do with this is assemble the Patriot missile boxes and mount them on the mechanism that raises them up to fire. I'm looking forward to getting this painted along with several other models.

That's all I have for this short update. It ain't much and probably will be the last for a while until I can get more of these jobs done. So enjoy them now and remember, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking in.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

October 2nd, 2016, 3:14 pm #4

Managed to get a few hours in the workshop again this weekend. Some work will be for the over 75mm GB so will post then

I started new model I found while rummaging through my Milicast stash. Really nice detail

then some detail work on the BW Models Stalwart, you can't see in the photos but I added some headlights and guards from an Esci Dodge Weapons Carrier and some controls for the HIAB

Some detail work on the 17cm Kanone

and some detail work on the Cromwell Abbot and Sabre, pin wash later today and some light muddy weathering on the running gear

Last edited by paul_bish on October 2nd, 2016, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 2nd, 2016, 3:16 pm #5

I finally had a chance to work on models for the first time in over a month. I've been overwhelmed with a whole mess of things coming at me all at once; including more work than I can shake a stick at. I'm thrilled to be working, yet was pleasantly surprised at the chance to take a day off this week. This gave me a chance to get some modeling done and boy did it feel good!

This will be a short update given how little I've been able to build as of late.

Since I finally got the Pershing II missile system some time ago, I was eager to get started on it. The first thing I found was an interesting concept: the missile was broken down into six parts that had to be assembled:

[/img]

I started by cementing two of the quarter sections together to make halves, then I cemented the two warhead halves together:

[/img]

Next I put the whole thing together:

[/img]

Not bad, but it's going to take a lot of cleanup. What an ordeal that was trying to get that all lined up!

Speaking of ordeals, next I started the chassis. This was not good: this kit went old school requiring you to take the chassis rails and cross braces and assemble them into a perfectly lined up and squared off chassis:

[/img]

After that, I had enough. The rest of this went back into the box for another day.

I didn't stop there with the difficult builds. This one is for you John Lewis: I pulled out the Russian Armored Train and went to work on two more of the quad maxims. What a mindbogglingly frustrating adventure that was! I did manage to finally get them assembled; after having them break apart numerous times every time I tried to adjust them or add something else. They are not perfectly aligned, but they are done!

First Part:

[/img]

Second part:

[/img]

Anyone who says anything about them being misaligned can assemble my last two for me and show me how it's supposed to be done!

Once the guns were done, I assembled and installed the mounting posts for these quads on the two places they needed to go. One goes on the little ZIS-5 truck:

[/img]

Which then gets mounted on a flatcar:

[/img]

The space in front of that truck will be holding a 47mm anti-tank gun.

The second quad gun goes on the engine and tender:

[/img]

Once I get the rest of the P/E on the two long flatcars (one holds the truck and gun, the other holds the BT-5) and on the two smaller flatcars, this while thing will be ready for paint.

FINALLY!

After all this crap, I decided to go back to something simple. I pulled out the Command Boxer and started the second color on the three-tome camo pattern:

[/img]

[/img]

Later on I'll add the third color. Then I'll be able to clearcoat both Boxers and the Fuchs and decal them all, give them washes and then get them finished.

After this, I figured it was time to move on with my Japanese Patriot system. I finished off the trailer; adding the wheels later after these pics were taken:

[/img]

[/img]

Next I went back and painted the interior of the cab. Then I assembled the cab and added it to the main chassis:

[/img]

[/img]

I know it appears that the cab is leaning forward, but I assure you it is straight. The whole thing is an optical illusion. I should know; I kept checking the cab alignment every few minutes!

That being said, the cab is set up so it does tilt forward to show off the engine. I thought that was pretty cool!

Here's a couple shots of the whole thing put together. This is pretty impressive:

[/img]

[/img]

All I have now to do with this is assemble the Patriot missile boxes and mount them on the mechanism that raises them up to fire. I'm looking forward to getting this painted along with several other models.

That's all I have for this short update. It ain't much and probably will be the last for a while until I can get more of these jobs done. So enjoy them now and remember, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking in.
Really like the JSDF Patriot and truck

October 2nd, 2016, 3:17 pm #6

...so you may want a drink and/or some popcorn!?
I got one of the axles in place but I'll tell you the 'F' word on the tip of my tongue!! You have to balance 2 support arms and a drive axle and your glue of choice!! So you can see where the 'F' word was out! It really got 'F'rustrating at times!!
OK pics are worth words so here goes; the frame pretty much complete plus the one axle

close up of axle assembly, with a wheel dry fit in place. You ain't gonna see much when that big fat tire is attached!!!

another couple of views

things to watch out for

the circles show where the suspension arms fit, I did not glue them right away (may have been the 'F' problem?) and the arrow shows where the axle goes. I put the axle into the gear box but it is hard to see so a couple of attempts with tweezers were needed!! You MUST follow the instructions for this assembly weak as they are they do help!!
Glue these 2 parts together then let the glue dry and do your filing before trying to attach the arms!

The suspension arms must be cleaned up while still attached to the sprue!! Unless you like broken parts!?!

this shows the sprue with the arms, the ones on the right have been cleaned up (rather heavy mold lines) and I spent some extra effort sanding the ends that go into the chassis, as you don't want to be sanding them while on the axle assembly!! The 'WL' stands for weak link, this part of the arm is a flat piece and easy to break when removing, the arrow shows it better.
I will be cutting these off the sprue with my Tamiya .01 mm saw!

The erector is another spot where you may want to approach your friendly plastic surgeon and ask for another pair of arms!!?!!
The arm (thing with 3 lightening holes) has no locating pins, just flat surfaces to hold together while glueing!! Oh I forgot to mention you need to capture the one end of the hydraulic ram, oh and get the 2 pivot pins into each side of the erector frame!!?!! This is where the extra 2 arms would be handy!!

A couple more shots;

More fun, at each end of the erector arm are the missile tube attachment boxes, these are 7 piece assemblies!! Guys when you are putting these together - 'Test fit, test fit, test fit!!!!'

You can see the putty because of some small gaps after glueing!

Now on the end of the above assembly is a frame between the tubes, and I think Modelcollect has a big problem here!! There appears to be a short shot problem here except you can see it's not short shot, it seems like part of the mold was missing or blocked???

You see the parts in the red circles, well look at the part (top) and you can see the stubs??? Nothing in the instructions about using plastic rod to join the 2 parts? Also the half circles show where these parts should be longer according to the instructions??? Since I am not eager to join facebook maybe someone who is interested in this and a member can ask Modelcollect what happened?

There is also another couple of parts that look like a shelf unit behind the spare tire deck that also do not have the dowels that they should have!!!

Just for fun I started to build the shed from the other TEL which is in the kit anyway.

This will be an impressive kit once assembled but getting there.....

And I want all the MAZ series kits!!??!!??!!
that looks very fiddly!!

October 2nd, 2016, 4:36 pm #7

Hello all, my civilian truck comes closer and closer to the end. The flat bed is finished! It builded from of 1mm thickness wood, and the reinforces around, builded from alouminium foil. Also the assembly is finished and i am ready for the paint job.
Some pictures.....

Thats all for now,
Have fun,
Dimitrios

October 2nd, 2016, 6:51 pm #8

Yup.....I actually finished one:

Not too happy with the photos, will redo them at some point.....Full build thread on BM here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... -finished/
Andy Smith
Worcester, UK
обезьяны собираются к звездам

October 2nd, 2016, 8:11 pm #9

fantastic work, really nice finish

October 2nd, 2016, 8:31 pm #10

Finished two this week.

First was the Trumpeter IS-3, just wanted it to look like a clean 'parade' tank. Used the quick build tracks since I had bought the kit for the other set of L&L tracks to use on something else. They look really good for what they are just no detail on the inside of the track. If I was going to really muddy the thing up I'd use them again and just hide that area. I planned on building it OOB but the gun lock looks horrible, being moulded right into the hull which required me removing the entire back of the hull. So the whole rear end is pretty much scratched. Modified the shape of the turret a bit around the edges and added some details and weld marks. It was the external fuel tanks that gave me fits. Originally they were mounted much more delicately which look more realistic but just wasn't workable, must have broke them off a dozen times so I ended up making some more sturdy supports that still looked better than OOB. Also added some weld lines to the hull, mostly around the nose since they are pretty prominent on the real thing. It's a really nice kit but while I don't measure kits or compare them to drawings I do tend to notice big inaccuracies when fixing or modifying them and other than some -3m details I had to remove it seems pretty accurate

This is the Military Wheels StuIG 33. I've seen much worse but it's not a great kit, even though it's injected plastic it reminded me of a badly cast resin kit that was just a copy of another kit. The main hull and tracks were not too bad but all the running gear was really crude and required a lot of cleanup. The crew compartment has some fairly significant accuracy issues which I tried to minimize, I ended up making a new roof and after sanding off all the details I used the other compartment parts. The gun was useless, the barrel had a really bad sinkmark in it and there was no way to salvage it so I bought the Aber(I think) barrel and scratched the bottom half of the gun carriage. Made new mud guards and rolled some foil over an Exacto handle to make the diamond tread then glued the foil on, came out pretty good but NOTHING sticks to foil, had to touch up the paint there about a dozen times and they kept breaking off when the CA bond would fail. After having so many problems building I got fed up and shelved it but last week I was off work so decided to just quickly finish it off. Made a rookie mistake in my haste and didn't test the decals which shattered when I tried to apply them so no markings for this one.

Having finished a couple I decided to start something new, this is the RPM Panhard 178B. It went together pretty well so far although I did modify some parts for better fit. I debated sanding off the rivets, they are not too bad but I ended up sanding them down since a lot of them would have been 3 inch long spikes in real life. Would probably look better with some Archer type resin rivet decals. Added weld seems all over the turret after luckily finding some really good photos on line and made new hatches since the kit hatches would have been about 3 scale inches thick. Will have to make new visors since the kit parts are junk.