WEEKLY UPDATE 13.5.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 13.5.2012....

May 13th, 2012, 2:34 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.

“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 13th, 2012, 2:53 pm #2

Hi Folks,

I have been able to get back to modelling again this last week and have lots of things to share. Firstly I managed to get something done on my 21cm Morser, using the 'hairspray technique' for the first time. It was a real success as far as I am concerned and my thanks must go to Sven-Åke, who patiently guided me through the intricacies of the method. I have to varnish it now and then it is washes and weathering to produce a desert battered example of the weapon. Here are the photos so far....

I also managed to put the base coat on my Panzerjaeger IV, which is having a winter whitewash finish and the 'hairspray technique' will be used on this as well to represent chipping of the whitewash. Here are the pictures.....

I also repainted the Panzer II, as I felt the dark brown was too bright and I am much happier with it now.....

Well that is is for now, I am glad that I have managed to get past the 'modeller's block' and got something done, I have also made some good progress on my Phanomen ambulance for the Group Build. I must say that I found the 'hairspray technique' easier than I expected, but my painting area smelt like an hairdressers salon aferwards, must get some unscented stuff in future.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 13th, 2012, 4:12 pm #3

Very nicely done indeed and I can see that you've been bitten by the hairspray bug

Proud of you

Cheers

Sven-Åke

May 13th, 2012, 6:53 pm #4

Hi Folks,

I have been able to get back to modelling again this last week and have lots of things to share. Firstly I managed to get something done on my 21cm Morser, using the 'hairspray technique' for the first time. It was a real success as far as I am concerned and my thanks must go to Sven-Åke, who patiently guided me through the intricacies of the method. I have to varnish it now and then it is washes and weathering to produce a desert battered example of the weapon. Here are the photos so far....

I also managed to put the base coat on my Panzerjaeger IV, which is having a winter whitewash finish and the 'hairspray technique' will be used on this as well to represent chipping of the whitewash. Here are the pictures.....

I also repainted the Panzer II, as I felt the dark brown was too bright and I am much happier with it now.....

Well that is is for now, I am glad that I have managed to get past the 'modeller's block' and got something done, I have also made some good progress on my Phanomen ambulance for the Group Build. I must say that I found the 'hairspray technique' easier than I expected, but my painting area smelt like an hairdressers salon aferwards, must get some unscented stuff in future.

All the best,

Paul
Morser looks really good with the wear and tear and the wheels look awesome. A great piece like that deserves a "small" dio and a gun crew Paul. Just a thought..lol.

May 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm #5

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
Hello everybody,

to much to do, and not only modelling ;>). Yesterday visited the open day of the Dutch army http://www.twenot-forums.nl/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=26477) and next week is the militracks event http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +19-20+May) You are all welcome!

At the moment I have three project running simultaneous:

I finished the second Nashorn. These will be on a Italy diorama.

As a building project for the club evenings I carry this panzerjaeger allong:

And actually (and most difficult) I am trying to improve my painting skills with acrylics on figures. If anybody has some hints an tips on this I would be very happy

best regards, Bas

www.twenot.nl

May 13th, 2012, 8:28 pm #6

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
Hello Paul,

I find actually painting also the most interesting but difficult aspect of modelling. I am very interested in the panzerjaeger as I am doing one now myself. The Morser in going strong, and you are reaching the fun zone when the models really starting to get a soul of there own. Good luck with finishing these models!

gr Bas

www.twenot.nl

May 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm #7

Very nicely done indeed and I can see that you've been bitten by the hairspray bug

Proud of you

Cheers

Sven-Åke
Hi Sven-Åke,

Well, you encouraged me to give it a go and gave me lots of good advice, without that I don't know if I would have tried it out even. Now I haves I can say, categorically, I have been bitten by the hairspray bug. I wanted to do a mini diorama with the MK72 Demag and a 75mm infantry gun, all in winter whitewash and with a lot of chipping, now I can tackle it with confidence. I think a lot of modellers will be indebted to you for your little guide, when you publish it, as it will help them try out these different techniques.

Thanks a lot and all the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

May 13th, 2012, 9:34 pm #8

Morser looks really good with the wear and tear and the wheels look awesome. A great piece like that deserves a "small" dio and a gun crew Paul. Just a thought..lol.
Hi Sean,

Thank you for your kind comments, I was thinking that a nice gun crew would set this off. I might even have a go at sculpting some figures to get the right poses. I have the MB Modellbau set for this gun and it has all the paraphernalia that go with the gun in firing mode, so it could be an interesting little diorama. Mind you fully deployed it takes up a bit of space and I reckon a base of 30cm x 30cm might just do it, the problem then is where to store it.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

May 13th, 2012, 9:59 pm #9

Hello Paul,

I find actually painting also the most interesting but difficult aspect of modelling. I am very interested in the panzerjaeger as I am doing one now myself. The Morser in going strong, and you are reaching the fun zone when the models really starting to get a soul of there own. Good luck with finishing these models!

gr Bas

Hi Bas,

Thank you for your kind comments. I too enjoy the painting stage of a model and find it a challenge and lots of fun in equal amounts. The Panzerjaeger is going to be done in a hypothetical scheme as it is just intended for a group build on another forum.

I can give you a few hints about painting 20mm figures and the one that I tell most people is - don't bother painting eyes. If you hold the figure at arms length and ask someone to walk away from you until they are the same size as the figure then try to see if you can see their eyes. You won't, it is easier to just paint a thin dark brown line where the eyes are it looks fine and is less hassle than painting whites and irises.

When I come to paint a figure for my vehicles I will do a step by step guide if you like, I can either post it on here or send it via email for you.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

May 13th, 2012, 10:18 pm #10

Hello everybody,

to much to do, and not only modelling ;>). Yesterday visited the open day of the Dutch army http://www.twenot-forums.nl/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=26477) and next week is the militracks event http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +19-20+May) You are all welcome!

At the moment I have three project running simultaneous:

I finished the second Nashorn. These will be on a Italy diorama.

As a building project for the club evenings I carry this panzerjaeger allong:

And actually (and most difficult) I am trying to improve my painting skills with acrylics on figures. If anybody has some hints an tips on this I would be very happy

best regards, Bas

Hi Bas,

I like the collection of 'things to do', the Nashorns are a really nice pair of models and I look forward to seeing how you finish them. I really like the Dragon Panzer IV series of vehicles, the Stug IV and Panzerjaeger IV being particular favourites, yours is the L70 version if I am not mistaken - I have one of those to do as well. I have mentioned in my post replying to your comment on my work that I can do a step by step guide to painting figures if you would like.

I have found a few examples of figures I have painted for you to peruse....

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur