WEEKLY UPDATE 11.3.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 11.3.2012....

March 11th, 2012, 4:40 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 11th, 2012, 4:50 pm #2

Hi Folks,

Accepting Alfred's challenge, I set about putting rivets on the turret of the little tank. Putting the rivets on wasn't the problem...plenty to be had on the floor pan of the tank itself and extra from the floor pan of a Dragon PzIV. The problem was references and once I had found a good plan of the tank I got on with the task. It didn't take too long. Here are the photos of the progress so far...

The cowl was too thick and I thinned down the walls to a more scale appearance....

Close up of one side...

Close up of the other side....

The turret with rivet detail added...

Well that was the main job done, just the painting next.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 11th, 2012, 4:55 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
A good friend suggested that there should be a woman in the diorama.

I looked through all my figureboxes but I soon came to the conclusion
that female figures was nothing I owned so I had to make a decision...
Either I spend hours on the net trying to find something or I try to
do something myself... I have converted figures before, infact most
of the figures I use are in one way or the other converted, arms are
bent or changed, heads are chopped and replaced and so on but this
was something totally different, I had to basically do the figure from
scratch. So I took parts from Presiers Russian tank rider set (I think)
and built a figure in roughly the correct pose. Then I realized that
the figure was too tall so I shortened it 4 mm and shaved off every
detail on it including the helmet and the upper parts of the boots
to give the lady regular shoes. Then I played around with Green Stuff
for an hour or two and the end result can be seen below...

She will be an important addition to the diorama and I'm glad tried to
do this because I have learned a lot from it and will probably do more
figures like this in the future...

Cheers

Sven-Åke

Here's the final sculpting before I smooth everything with some very fine sandpaper...
One thing that I have learned is that it is very easy to leave fingerprints on GS...

And here's the little lady with some paint on...

March 11th, 2012, 4:58 pm #4

Hi Folks,

Accepting Alfred's challenge, I set about putting rivets on the turret of the little tank. Putting the rivets on wasn't the problem...plenty to be had on the floor pan of the tank itself and extra from the floor pan of a Dragon PzIV. The problem was references and once I had found a good plan of the tank I got on with the task. It didn't take too long. Here are the photos of the progress so far...

The cowl was too thick and I thinned down the walls to a more scale appearance....

Close up of one side...

All the best,

Paul
rivetcounter

Amazing work Paul...

Can't wait to see it with some paint, then one can really see the quality of your work!

Cheers

Sven-Åke

March 11th, 2012, 4:59 pm #5

Hi Folks,

Close up of one side...

All the best,

Paul
I was hoping you didn 't do the nails...now I must do it too...
How do you apply these cut -off rivets and which glue do you use (and how)? My best tweezers certainly won ' t hold them...
Alfred

March 11th, 2012, 6:33 pm #6

Dragon Churchill IV upgrades to Mk IV B and configured as a 6th Guards Tank Brigade tank and Roden's IS3 with Extratech p.e. , both ready for a coat of paint and a veeeeery heavy weathring....
Cherrs , Fabrizio

March 11th, 2012, 6:34 pm #7

Bonjour,

More work this past week:

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

I used 4lbs fishing line for the cable except there was a mishap and had to use some fine wire for the two pieces holding the hook (I realized after I was done that it is facing the wrong way). The decals had yellowed so I put them in a ziplock plastic bag and taped it to the window that gets the most sun. I am waiting for them to get back to normal. Then I will be able to put them on, spray a satin coat on the vehicles and then use Krystal Klear to make the windows. I'll be working on a K2 for the medical services GB in the meantime.

Thank you for looking.

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
WWI Forum moderator

March 11th, 2012, 6:37 pm #8

Dragon Churchill IV upgrades to Mk IV B and configured as a 6th Guards Tank Brigade tank and Roden's IS3 with Extratech p.e. , both ready for a coat of paint and a veeeeery heavy weathring....
Cherrs , Fabrizio

"Very Heavy Weathering". That's like music in my ears!

Two very interesting builds you have here Fabrizio!!!
Lots of details and damage...

Good Job!

Regards

Sven-Åke

March 11th, 2012, 7:03 pm #9

Always some Russian "T" s in progress : T 37 and T 38 by SHQ whitemetal and the T 60 by AER resin.
My goal is to have all russian (series built) T - named tanks...
Would make a nice Groep pic too.
I already have a lot built or in stash.
Still missing sorely : T 18 (MS 18) and T 10 although the latter is prommised by Fabbri Diecast...
Greetz, Alfred

March 11th, 2012, 7:11 pm #10

Hey guys,

Here's the final update before completion. Mostly it's just a bit of weathering left.

Cheers.