WEEKLY UPDATE - 10.9.2017

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE - 10.9.2017

September 10th, 2017, 11:50 am #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

Well the Stolly never made the club's contest; but...

September 10th, 2017, 2:48 pm #2

...will be ready for our big show at the end of the month!!!
Some pics of the cab interior completed;

The next pic shows where I got to by Wed aft;

...and where I am now;

Got one of the roof hatches working, but it is pretty flimsy so I may have to beef up the components!?

So now the aim is to get this and a few other kits done for our biennial show - CapCon 2017! It is being held this year at the Canadian War Museum, with the built kits in the same room as their 1 to 1 inspirations. I shall post a report after the show date (30 Sep) with pics of the Braille entries. It is disappointing that there are only 2 categories for our models but if there is a good turn out they will have to split these!

Cheers
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.

This week I have been mostly at the beach

September 10th, 2017, 3:08 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the WEEKLY UPDATE, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do.
No not that beach, unfortunately but this:-

The cab, cabin and turret are not fixed and so can be removed for painting, leaving just the two bins on the rear of the chassis to be painted, I have shortened the ammunition boxes on the rear (not in photo) and need to cast some up. Maybe in the future if someone releases a metal barrel fo it, I will replace it.

Also been having fun with the Iskander, the cab and generator unit are not attached as is the front of the missile bay, you can see I had to shorten the mountings for the wheels for the resin replacements.

And the last one is just for fun,

Sorry about the quality of the photos, but I have put my camera in that safe place, that I can't find again🤔🤔😡
Simon Barnes

stollie

September 10th, 2017, 3:49 pm #4

...and where I am now;

Got one of the roof hatches working, but it is pretty flimsy so I may have to beef up the components!?

So now the aim is to get this and a few other kits done for our biennial show - CapCon 2017! It is being held this year at the Canadian War Museum, with the built kits in the same room as their 1 to 1 inspirations. I shall post a report after the show date (30 Sep) with pics of the Braille entries. It is disappointing that there are only 2 categories for our models but if there is a good turn out they will have to split these!

Cheers
neat truck, those switches on the dash are really tiny, but look like they should actually operate..very nice.

at the beach

September 10th, 2017, 3:51 pm #5

The cab, cabin and turret are not fixed and so can be removed for painting, leaving just the two bins on the rear of the chassis to be painted, I have shortened the ammunition boxes on the rear (not in photo) and need to cast some up. Maybe in the future if someone releases a metal barrel fo it, I will replace it.

Also been having fun with the Iskander, the cab and generator unit are not attached as is the front of the missile bay, you can see I had to shorten the mountings for the wheels for the resin replacements.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, but I have put my camera in that safe place, that I can't find again🤔🤔😡
so it's a real beach to build? looks great so far, are all 3 mc kits?

this weekend...

September 10th, 2017, 4:36 pm #6

I would normally be at Goodwood Revival but the duff knee wasn't up to it so live stream and war room it was!!!

First we have some primer own the BW Models Scammell Explorer some nice semi-gloss DBG next

and then more BW Models and more Scammell Action. This time a Constructor and 20ton trailer with Gainsbrough mk2 Wheeled Loaded. All BW Models and a lot of metal!!!!

And started on a diorama, this will have lots of ruined German vehicles in a ditch and a British patrol walking/marching past

Then a JB Models Bedford MK this has a BW Models Arrows trailer and some details added based on a photo

Then the CMSC Chally ARV has had some nice desert dust added

And the same for the CMSC Scammell Contractor Self Loading Dump Truck

And a good dust coat on the Matchbox Leyland Retriver and Maador Models bridging truck

this is going to be a corker!!

September 10th, 2017, 4:37 pm #7

...and where I am now;

Cheers
Love the Stolly!!!

WOW!

September 10th, 2017, 4:38 pm #8

they are some big old beasties. looking forward to seeing them finished

Almost shame to cover it over!

September 10th, 2017, 4:38 pm #9

...and where I am now;

Cheers
But look forward to the total picture of it, completed.
thanks for posting,
Peter
Regards,
Peter van Kempen.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum.

Best not to rush it...

September 10th, 2017, 4:44 pm #10

...and where I am now;

Cheers
Hello Graham,

Get it done at a reasonable pace and exactly how you want it to look, better than rushing to finish it. It looks a great model from the sub assemblies and will really stand out when fully built. Look forward to further updates and seeing the completed model.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur