WEEKLY UPDATE 1.4.2012....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

WEEKLY UPDATE 1.4.2012....

April 1st, 2012, 6:12 pm #1

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

April 1st, 2012, 6:54 pm #2

Hi Folks.

Sorry I was later than the normal time for starting the WEEKLY UPDATE, but I was at a model show and only just got back.

This week I started making a Jagdpanzer IVL/48 for an OOB build on another forum, this is one of Dragon's nicer kits and is really straight forward to build OOB. I also managed to finish the Seven Swabians completely. So that is another one off the list in the 'Hall of Shame', moving along nicely, I might even get the Panzer IV finished with the last bit of photo-etch.

I bought some more of the stuff at the model show, the Part fender set for the Pz IV and the general set for the Pz IVH, I did it in a moment of madness as I wanted to have a super-detailed H as well as a J. I also got the set for the Sd.Kfz.7/1 which I want to do in the near future for a diorama, very nice set. I also got the new Ace QF 2 pounder, lovely little kit, I shall look forward to putting that in a desert setting. Well done Alexey, a really good choice of subject. I was tempted to get the 'Nuts and Bolts 26, 15cm sIG33/1 (Sf)auf GW 38t "Grille" (Sd.Kfz.138/1) Part 2: Ausf. H', that really is too long a title for a book, and eventually succumbed. I am glad I did as it is a great book and I shall be collecting more in the series from now on, I have the UM kit to do and wanted to do it really well with a full photo-etch and detail build.

Here are the photos of my work this week...

I have begun the chassis and have the running gear to clean up...

The rear plate fully constructed. There are a lot of parts to get on here, but it does look good...

The rear plate in place and all the running gear cleaned up...

The running gear in place...

the upper hull and the rear fenders attached...

The sprues for the engine deck...

The engine deck and hatches...

All the tools cleaned up, ready for attachment...

and now the Seven Swabians...

I have also done a little work on my ambulance for the group build and had to repair the 21cm Morser as some bits fell on it and broke parts of it, all is well as I managed to fix it all and it is being painted and weathered this week.

Well that is it folks, I look forward to all your 'stories' of modelling 'daring do'.

All the best,

Paul

“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

April 1st, 2012, 6:58 pm #3

Consider this your invitation to reply to the Weekly Update, with a post of some of your work, whether completed or "in progress" of kits, figures, and dioramas.

This is not a private club or group, anyone and everyone can add to the thread, & is openly encouraged to do so.

All skill levels are encouraged to participate, & everything Braille and relating to this forum is in scope.

There is no need to write a "short story" to accompany any work submitted, though some notes about what you are posting is usually useful (though you may write at length if you wish) and queries for assistance, opinions or advice with a build or kit are encouraged.

Comments are encouraged, be they suggestions, tips, advices, hints, warnings of kit or instruction deficiencies, questions, etc, with the proviso they show the level of respect to the poster and the work they have taken the time to show us, that is customary on the forum.

The intention is that a new WEEKLY UPDATE is created each week on the same day, to allow people to post new pictures and updates of their work, as the original will "move down" and will be hard to find after a week.

The WEEKLY UPDATE is not intended to change how people already use the forum, though anyone is welcome to add their updates and comments, its intent is to draw a few of those who work away on braille scale subjects and seldom or never post, to share some of what they do each week, for the inclusion and enlightenment of all forum visitors and regulars.
WIP update.

Besides my Ambulance group build Steyr 640, I found some time to work on other stuff that was started earlier :

- German fake gun : Assembly completed with (fake) shield and basic paint. Needs camouflage.

- SdKfz 251/18 D Beobachtungswagen : Dragon diecast ready conversion. Radio, alarm/ soundhorn and searchlight installed. Umbrella antenna made. Needs further assembly and painting. Will get a standing officer with scissors periscope inside and tactical stabs decals.

- Vickers Light Tank Mk VI with 7,5 cm PaK 40 (Marder x prototype) : Basic lay-out and paint, will be kept empty inside like a basic pre-assembly prototype. Gun shields need more work and plausible arrangement. (Sorry Elliot / Jacub, it will keep its ugly JB trackwork, I am not brave enough to work the tiny L&L...)

- SdKfz 6 field modified gepanzert and with 2 cm GebirgsFlaK 38 : Armor plate layout started with paper pieces. Rear benches need to be made smaller and track fenders need to be removed and rebuilt. Will need a lot of fiddeling to get the armor in shape !

To be continued, regards, Alfred.

Last edited by alfred250251 on April 1st, 2012, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 7:00 pm #4

Hi Folks.

Sorry I was later than the normal time for starting the WEEKLY UPDATE, but I was at a model show and only just got back.

This week I started making a Jagdpanzer IVL/48 for an OOB build on another forum, this is one of Dragon's nicer kits and is really straight forward to build OOB. I also managed to finish the Seven Swabians completely. So that is another one off the list in the 'Hall of Shame', moving along nicely, I might even get the Panzer IV finished with the last bit of photo-etch.

I bought some more of the stuff at the model show, the Part fender set for the Pz IV and the general set for the Pz IVH, I did it in a moment of madness as I wanted to have a super-detailed H as well as a J. I also got the set for the Sd.Kfz.7/1 which I want to do in the near future for a diorama, very nice set. I also got the new Ace QF 2 pounder, lovely little kit, I shall look forward to putting that in a desert setting. Well done Alexey, a really good choice of subject. I was tempted to get the 'Nuts and Bolts 26, 15cm sIG33/1 (Sf)auf GW 38t "Grille" (Sd.Kfz.138/1) Part 2: Ausf. H', that really is too long a title for a book, and eventually succumbed. I am glad I did as it is a great book and I shall be collecting more in the series from now on, I have the UM kit to do and wanted to do it really well with a full photo-etch and detail build.

The rear plate fully constructed. There are a lot of parts to get on here, but it does look good...

I have also done a little work on my ambulance for the group build and had to repair the 21cm Morser as some bits fell on it and broke parts of it, all is well as I managed to fix it all and it is being painted and weathered this week.

Well that is it folks, I look forward to all your 'stories' of modelling 'daring do'.

All the best,

Paul

By about 1.5mm. The surround to the gun mantlet that is secured to the hull should be touching the horizontal surface of the upper hull
in fromt of the fighting compartment. Also, the fighting compartmet roof detail does not match Doyles plans of the jp4. Which is a pity because its a beautifully engineered kit.

April 1st, 2012, 7:03 pm #5

Hi Folks.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul, kept us waiting, no problem ! I like the Jagdpz L 48. That is one not often seen either on pics or as a model. Wat exact version will it be ? Zimmetrit ?

Me wants a Wabbit too...

Alfred

April 1st, 2012, 7:10 pm #6

By about 1.5mm. The surround to the gun mantlet that is secured to the hull should be touching the horizontal surface of the upper hull
in fromt of the fighting compartment. Also, the fighting compartmet roof detail does not match Doyles plans of the jp4. Which is a pity because its a beautifully engineered kit.
Hi Billy,

Thanks for that, I will bear it in mind when I do the other one I have. Unfortunately I can't correct this one as it is for a OOB build and no modifications are allowed. I agree it is a beautifully engineered kit, as are all the Panzer IV kits, it is a shame that there is a niggling little fault. I intend to do a winter scheme so I can practice the 'hairspray technique'.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

April 1st, 2012, 7:15 pm #7

well the build and I like doing the softer side of a army. So it will help on future projects.

Der Sanitatsdienst des Heeres 1939-1945 - Alex Buchner

April 1st, 2012, 7:17 pm #8

Hi Paul, kept us waiting, no problem ! I like the Jagdpz L 48. That is one not often seen either on pics or as a model. Wat exact version will it be ? Zimmetrit ?

Me wants a Wabbit too...

Alfred
Hi Alfred,

As I have already mentioned, I can't do any extra work on this one, not even zimmeritt and as the saying goes 'it does exactly what it says on the box' so it is a 'Jagdpanzer IV L/48 Early Production'. The flat was done as a 'thank you' for my consultant, who retired this week, for over 25 years of looking after my health and seeing me through many crises with it. So no Wabbit either, sorry. I copied it from a photo of an original, strange how your concept of how a rabbit looks is totally different from reality.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

April 1st, 2012, 7:30 pm #9

Hi Billy,

Thanks for that, I will bear it in mind when I do the other one I have. Unfortunately I can't correct this one as it is for a OOB build and no modifications are allowed. I agree it is a beautifully engineered kit, as are all the Panzer IV kits, it is a shame that there is a niggling little fault. I intend to do a winter scheme so I can practice the 'hairspray technique'.

All the best,

Paul
...one of these days, I'm going to have to get brave with more advanced painting and weathering myself.

April 1st, 2012, 8:11 pm #10

Hello friends,

I continued with more work on the engine deck and tail lights. I'm still thinking about a solution for the straps that hold the tools on the hull and then it's time to move up front.

Cheers,
Florin

florinjenica.blogspot.com