Weathering questions - advise needed

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Weathering questions - advise needed

October 19th, 2005, 10:25 am #1

Hi Guys

Knowing this in a matter that has been discussed a million times, I really need some help/advise.
I am one of those modellers that really enjoys building but hate painting. However, I have recently finished building a Jagdpanther and also made it through the initial painting process (it was painted with Humbrol Enamels). This means that my Jagdpanther right now is looking more or less factory new (see pictures below), and this wasn’t the meaning with it.
Since the weathering process is almost unknown ground for me, I like to ask a few questions. I would like to ad rain marks, scratches, filters etc. but at the same time I am afraid of ruining my models and it really is holding me back. So what is the best way of aproching weathering?
Do I need to apply a coat of gloss varnish to seal of the surface before even starting the weathering process?
What kind of paint is suitabel for filters, and do I have to use an other kind of paint than enamels to avoid disturbing the paint scheme?

Any kind of help and advise would be highly appreciated.

All the best to all of you

Torben Nielsen
Denmark

October 19th, 2005, 10:07 pm #2

The best way to learn about weathering is by simple trial and error. If you don't wish to ruin your rather nice looking build, I would suggest that you experiment on an old kit. Otherwise, the only way to learn is by doing it yourself.

As to the technique of the day, there are too many to explain in this thread alone. There are some excellent articles by Mig on this site explaining some of his techniques (rain streaks being one of them):

http://missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm

Cheers - Dan

October 19th, 2005, 11:17 pm #3

Hi Guys

Knowing this in a matter that has been discussed a million times, I really need some help/advise.
I am one of those modellers that really enjoys building but hate painting. However, I have recently finished building a Jagdpanther and also made it through the initial painting process (it was painted with Humbrol Enamels). This means that my Jagdpanther right now is looking more or less factory new (see pictures below), and this wasn’t the meaning with it.
Since the weathering process is almost unknown ground for me, I like to ask a few questions. I would like to ad rain marks, scratches, filters etc. but at the same time I am afraid of ruining my models and it really is holding me back. So what is the best way of aproching weathering?
Do I need to apply a coat of gloss varnish to seal of the surface before even starting the weathering process?
What kind of paint is suitabel for filters, and do I have to use an other kind of paint than enamels to avoid disturbing the paint scheme?

Torben Nielsen
Denmark

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/aw_wx.htm
http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/p ... orbg_1.htm
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/ot ... wpaint.htm

Tamiya Weathering Master A Set 87079
Tamiya Weathering Master B Set 87080

Do a search in this forum and you will find
lots of posts on weathering.

Search for - weathering
Sort by - match
Click on the Go button

October 21st, 2005, 10:48 am #4

Hi Guys

Torben Nielsen
Denmark

Hi

Thanks for reply to my posting. It got me started!
I think it is great that people still take their time to answer questions that have been asked so many times before. Weathering is a very tricky thing, atleast until one can find a way of doing it. The problem, as I see it, is that painting and weathering can ruin an otherwise well constructed model, if not done properly.

Again, thanks for the answers

Torben Nielsen

October 22nd, 2005, 2:40 am #5

One thing you could do if you
don't want to take a chance on
messing up your model is...
take some Evergreen plastic card
and some Evergreen plastic strips and make a box.
Paint and weather that.
That way your not even messing with any
model kit parts.