Weathering/acrylics for tanks

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Weathering/acrylics for tanks

colleen rogers
colleen rogers

April 16th, 2004, 3:54 am #1

Ok I think I need remedial modelling class 101, I spray painted my abrams in dessert sand acrylic. decals applied, and was putting a wash through the area (which was looking really good) until the paint started to lift a little. Was I suppose to put a seal of matt varnish on this or something???? Totally bewildered and banging my head against wall. please advise asap. Thanks in advance

colleen

greg edmonds
greg edmonds

April 16th, 2004, 11:20 am #2

My response will be different depending on the type of wash you used.
You base colors were acrylic, so if your wash was acrylic also, you need to have a clearcoat in between or risk dissolving the previous layers of paint....which is what sounds like happened.
If you used an oil-based wash, perhaps you didn't leave enough time for curing in between. The acrylic paint needs to be completely cured before using a wash directly over it. I like to clearcoat all my models after painting, but others believe it's not necessary if you switch between acrylic and enamel/oils.

Rick Purdy
Rick Purdy

April 17th, 2004, 10:25 pm #3

Greg is correct. I usually leave 3 days between enamel washes so that they don't 'merge' with previous wash or 'lift' the enamel base coat.I also alternate media washes-enamel/winsor&Newton water thinnable oils/eanamel/oils/ etc. in order to quicken things up a bit. Gives better depth/layering effect I think.I don't use acrylics,but I get the impression from these DG's that they tend to be more sensitve to successive coatings of their own kind.
Cheers
Rick

Richard Craig
Richard Craig

April 18th, 2004, 9:01 pm #4

I had this happen to me before ..probably just didn,t let the paint harden enough ...I just stopped everything and let it dry ..luckily the paint settled back down and there was no lasting damage ....

Rick

Ron hetherington
Ron hetherington

April 21st, 2004, 1:07 am #5

Ok I think I need remedial modelling class 101, I spray painted my abrams in dessert sand acrylic. decals applied, and was putting a wash through the area (which was looking really good) until the paint started to lift a little. Was I suppose to put a seal of matt varnish on this or something???? Totally bewildered and banging my head against wall. please advise asap. Thanks in advance

colleen
It acts as a buffer for the wash. Also. let the paint/coat dry for about a week before washing. Eventhough the paint looks dry after about two hours, it hasn't cured.

Francis Liew
Francis Liew

April 26th, 2004, 2:38 am #6

colleen
Hi Coleen,

What you went through has happened to me a few times before, once upon a time...

OK, I'll get straight to the point. What I use is "turpentine wash", be it black-wash or stain-wash. Turpentine is strong enough to dissolve the paint you use for the wash, thin and smooth, but NOT strong enough to lift or dissolve a painted surface.
Please note that I use turpentine wash for BOTH enamel and acrylic painted models, without any problem.

But of course I don't mean this is "the way", it's simply the method I've been using and it works for me. Hope this helps.

Warmest regards,
Francis Liew
SIngapore

Francis Liew
Francis Liew

April 26th, 2004, 2:45 am #7

colleen
oops, I forgot to mention one more thing...

Spraying a clear-coat (eg: semi-gloss) will help protect the decals from black/stain washes.

Please note that if you don't do that, the "clear part" of the decal will get stained heavier than the background its resting on, resulting in "dirty" decals, as the transparent part of the decal is pronounced.

Sometimes I just brush over the decal with semi-gloss clear.

Hope this info helps.

Warmest regards,
Francis Liew
Singapore