Weather in Saipan during WW2

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Weather in Saipan during WW2

March 4th, 2004, 2:33 am #1

Planning on doing a diorama of some US Marines and a tank in Saipan. Can't tell from my references what the weather was like during operations. Some photos of tanks look like the ground is very dry,while others look rather wet. Anyone know?
Thanks,
Eric

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Calvin and Hobbs 1990

Calvin and Hobbs 1990

Ed Gilbert
Ed Gilbert

March 4th, 2004, 10:46 pm #2

Saipan was fought in mid-June through mid-July. The onset of the fanchunan, the Chamorro word for the wet season, is in late June. At this time you get heavy rains interspersed with stretches of sunny days. later in July you can get typhoons (one such interrupted the Tinian campaign).

The geology of saipan is mixed mafic volcanics and carbonates. Both weather to deep reddish lateritic soils; rain turns the laterite into a gluey mud, easily churned by vehicles. The carbonate areas are underlain by extremely rugged karstic (cave) terrains (examples were Hell's Pocket and Purple Heart Ridge). In both cases the rain quickly drains away through subterranean passages, so that one or two good sunny days turns the mud back to dust (any abandoned vehicles are baked into a brick). This dariange means there is very little surface water (streams or ponds) and much of the hardest fighting centered around control of deep wells that tap into lenses of fresh water "floating" on colder seawater.

Military geology is quite a specialty. Sessions at the joint SE and NE session of the Geological Society of Maerica Meetings this year will be on the military geology of the Civil War (War Between the States to the better informed).

Ed Gilbert
Ed Gilbert

March 5th, 2004, 1:36 am #3

the two unintelligible words should be drainage and America

Bryan Barnes
Bryan Barnes

March 5th, 2004, 6:50 pm #4

I ask because that's what my degree is.

Thanks
Bryan Barnes

Ed Gilbert
Ed Gilbert

March 6th, 2004, 1:24 am #5

I'm Senior Geological Advisor for the International Division of a very large independent oil company. Means that I get to annoy the actual workers.

March 6th, 2004, 9:48 pm #6

Planning on doing a diorama of some US Marines and a tank in Saipan. Can't tell from my references what the weather was like during operations. Some photos of tanks look like the ground is very dry,while others look rather wet. Anyone know?
Thanks,
Eric

Calvin and Hobbs 1990
Looks like if I understand correctly it could be a mud cover tank or a dust cover tank or anywhere in between.
Thanks,
Eric

Calvin and Hobbs 1990

Calvin and Hobbs 1990