WC51 in Commonwealth service in combat?

The first topic for Missing-Lynx new Group Build Forum is British and Commonwealth Vehicles of WWII, hosted by Nick Cortese. This topic will run until February 2010, so you will have plenty of time to finish your Allied vehicles.

WC51 in Commonwealth service in combat?

Jordi Albir
Jordi Albir

February 8th, 2010, 2:26 pm #1

Hello,

Ipm interested on to know if any Commonwealth units used the WC51 (Beep) in combat...i'm asking me if the AFV kit WC51 at 1/35 scale could be used as british or australian vehicle in Burma, or in New Guinea or Borneo...
There are several pics of thsi vehicle in soviet use, but i can't find anyone on commonwealth usage...
Thanks in advance
Jordi

Tom Kaszas
Tom Kaszas

February 8th, 2010, 5:14 pm #2

In commonwealth service the rear body was slightly narrower (to fit into aircraft if I recall correctly). Don't have my reference handy at the moment - but I'll confirm and update later.

Don't know whether the Aussies used them but I do know that many of the vehicles that were in Canadian service in Europe during the war ended up in post war service in Indonesia with the Dutch so if your heart is set on the far east - maybe a good second choice option?

Tom K

February 9th, 2010, 12:16 am #3

For some reason I can't edit the above post so as an addendum.

American built WC51s were used by Canadians in NW Europe.

Chrysler Canada also made several thousand similar vehicles (designated D 3/4 APT T236) for which differed from the US built vehicles in that they were equipped with a 95 HP engine and a narrow cargo body (dimensions - 82 inches long, 21 inches deep and 53.25 inches wide) designed to be air portable by Dakota aircraft.

The above from Blueprint for Victory by William Gregg.

(Note Canadian vehicle production would have been used by all British supplied forces).

Tom K.

Jordi Albiar
Jordi Albiar

February 11th, 2010, 7:59 am #4

Hello Tom,
Thanks for your help...well, i think if i buy a WC51 it will not be British...i wanted to make something in the Far East Front...the Dutch it could be a good idea..the problem are the markings...Well a Soviet or french version also it could be interesting...
Thanks again
Jordi

February 20th, 2010, 5:17 pm #5

For some reason I can't edit the above post so as an addendum.

American built WC51s were used by Canadians in NW Europe.

Chrysler Canada also made several thousand similar vehicles (designated D 3/4 APT T236) for which differed from the US built vehicles in that they were equipped with a 95 HP engine and a narrow cargo body (dimensions - 82 inches long, 21 inches deep and 53.25 inches wide) designed to be air portable by Dakota aircraft.

The above from Blueprint for Victory by William Gregg.

(Note Canadian vehicle production would have been used by all British supplied forces).

Tom K.
I'd also like to do a WC51 and I would like it in Canadian markings. Do you have images or any diagrams showing the marking placement on a Canadian vehicle? I am sure it would have been marked with the typical markings.

March 7th, 2010, 4:56 pm #6

Hello Tom,
Thanks for your help...well, i think if i buy a WC51 it will not be British...i wanted to make something in the Far East Front...the Dutch it could be a good idea..the problem are the markings...Well a Soviet or french version also it could be interesting...
Thanks again
Jordi
There's a photo of one of these in Burma belonging to the British 36th Division . .looked good and not a bad idea ,either . .This was a US built Dodge to boot.