'Watching and Waiting' Diorama (Done ! - I think)

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

'Watching and Waiting' Diorama (Done ! - I think)

March 25th, 2016, 4:06 pm #1

Hi everyone, Happy Easter ! I am calling this project done. The title is a play on words and depicts a dual story – The Bergepanther has made a temporary stop on a country lane and the crew members are ‘watching’ the skies for enemy aircraft, as well as one of the crew indicating a better location further down the lane with better cover, whilst the driver consults his map. The group of Infantry are taking a well-earned rest break in the derelict shed, ‘waiting’ for the order to move onto the next objective.

The infantry figures are the very detailed Stalingrad ‘resting’ figures and suit the scene very well. I found them particularly tricky to paint to a high standard due to the tiny details on them and that’s with an optivisor to assist my eyesight !!. They are my first Stalingrad figures and my first attempt at trying the acrylic style painting / shading techniques. I feel more practice is required – figures are not my strong point and I sometimes despair at some of the figure painters I so regularly see on these pages who can produce magnificently painted figures – if only…… so any advice is welcome.

The Bergepanther crew members are Verlinden figures slightly modified . I have put together a generic looking crew, so apologies if the uniform /insignia are inaccurate. (as I am sure they may be)

The shed is scratch built using balsa and plastic card. The derelict look was achieved by distressing the wood and simply giving the Balsa a thick Raw Umber oil wash, followed by washes of various green and grey oil washes to weather and age the wood.

Two of the images are identical except for the appearance of a fuel drum on the rear of the Bergepanther, I am not sure if this works so advice sought in that regard. If it does then it will be tied and secured.

All comments welcome. Thanks for looking

March 25th, 2016, 5:22 pm #2

Damn fine job on the figures! Great job

March 25th, 2016, 6:30 pm #3

Hi everyone, Happy Easter ! I am calling this project done. The title is a play on words and depicts a dual story – The Bergepanther has made a temporary stop on a country lane and the crew members are ‘watching’ the skies for enemy aircraft, as well as one of the crew indicating a better location further down the lane with better cover, whilst the driver consults his map. The group of Infantry are taking a well-earned rest break in the derelict shed, ‘waiting’ for the order to move onto the next objective.

The infantry figures are the very detailed Stalingrad ‘resting’ figures and suit the scene very well. I found them particularly tricky to paint to a high standard due to the tiny details on them and that’s with an optivisor to assist my eyesight !!. They are my first Stalingrad figures and my first attempt at trying the acrylic style painting / shading techniques. I feel more practice is required – figures are not my strong point and I sometimes despair at some of the figure painters I so regularly see on these pages who can produce magnificently painted figures – if only…… so any advice is welcome.

The Bergepanther crew members are Verlinden figures slightly modified . I have put together a generic looking crew, so apologies if the uniform /insignia are inaccurate. (as I am sure they may be)

The shed is scratch built using balsa and plastic card. The derelict look was achieved by distressing the wood and simply giving the Balsa a thick Raw Umber oil wash, followed by washes of various green and grey oil washes to weather and age the wood.

Two of the images are identical except for the appearance of a fuel drum on the rear of the Bergepanther, I am not sure if this works so advice sought in that regard. If it does then it will be tied and secured.

I like all the scene!!!Fantastic job on the ground very realistic.The Bergepanther is painted excellently and the weathering work is balanced.Also excellent work on the figures.I like the figures at rest near the shack.

Ciao

March 25th, 2016, 6:52 pm #4

great scene and story....and you are right about those stalingrad figures, they are nice but hard to paint. excellent work!

dave

March 25th, 2016, 7:02 pm #5

rocks! Shed is outstanding,figs and vehicles,check and double check. Nice touch with adding the flowers and the driver reading a book!
J

March 25th, 2016, 8:49 pm #6

Hi Steve this is a cracking build everything fits. I love the rendition of the old wood very nicely done indeed.

March 25th, 2016, 10:00 pm #7

Steve , fantastic diorama. Bravo .
http://steeltankspower.blogspot.com

March 25th, 2016, 10:16 pm #8

So much to like about this Steve - great work all round. And those Stalingrad figs are superb, really natural looking poses and your paint has done them some justice.

cheers
Brent

March 25th, 2016, 11:42 pm #9

Damn fine job on the figures! Great job
Hi DJ, Thanks for your comments, pleased you like them.

March 25th, 2016, 11:43 pm #10

I like all the scene!!!Fantastic job on the ground very realistic.The Bergepanther is painted excellently and the weathering work is balanced.Also excellent work on the figures.I like the figures at rest near the shack.

Ciao
Hello Luigi, thank you my friend, I am really pleased you like the look of this one. I appreciate your comments.