Washes: I use oils

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Washes: I use oils

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

June 27th, 2003, 12:19 am #1

Does anyone have success using acrylics? If so, what have you used to thin them with?

I've tried acrylicsa few times, with no-so-great results. I've thinnd them with alcohol and water and they turn out blotchy.

Steve

Glenn Ryder
Glenn Ryder

June 27th, 2003, 2:25 am #2

Steve-

I'm using Grumbacher 'oil' paints thinned down with odorless mineral spirits. I do put a light coat of 'lacquer clear' over the base paint, then add any wash. I get good capillary action this way.

Glenn Ryder

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

June 27th, 2003, 4:26 am #3

I was asking about acrylic washes.

I use W&N oils myself with good results. But someone told me that they use acrylics and I was wondering if anyone else does and what they thin them with.

Steve

Rob Riviezzo
Rob Riviezzo

June 28th, 2003, 5:14 am #4

I use WN Oils when I paint in Acrylics, and I sometimes use WN acrylics when I base coat in enamels. The Acryilcs are not as rich in color as their Oil paint, but they are very good IMO. I have had better results using Vallejo Acrlics when doing a wash, the pigment is much richer, again my opinion.

Cheers Rob

June 29th, 2003, 11:37 pm #5

Does anyone have success using acrylics? If so, what have you used to thin them with?

I've tried acrylicsa few times, with no-so-great results. I've thinnd them with alcohol and water and they turn out blotchy.

Steve
If you will use a drop or two of dishwashing soap to break the surface tension you should get a good flow with the water colors.

Chris Bolick

Brett Barrow
Brett Barrow

July 1st, 2003, 7:18 am #6

Steve
Mix up some paint (I like Polly Scale as it has a weaker binder than other acrylics) with water to airbrushing consistancy or slightly thicker and then add a few drops of liquid hand/dish soap. paint into the area you want it, let dry for an hour or so, then come back with rag or swabs moistened with water to remove excess. Like oil washes but won't stain the base color.