VK 1602 "Leopard" Autumn `45

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

VK 1602 "Leopard" Autumn `45

March 19th, 2012, 5:59 pm #1

Hello guys,

I want to show you my latest model! I built the HobbyBoss VK 1602 "Leopard" the last months. After I saw some other models painted in the "Luftwaffe" camouflage colours, I also wanted to try one. For me, as a tankbuilder, it was a great task to get the right colours. So I had to paint it 4 times.

But after some weathering I am really satisfied with the achieved results!

For building this model, I used:

- the kit from HobbyBoss
- Panthertracks from Friul
- gunbarel from RB Models
- empty shells from RB Models
- Antennas from Orange Hobby
- foilage from Mininatur

For the comander, I used a dragon figure, with some ABER PE, headphones from Royal Model and collar patches from Archer.

But here are the pictures right now!

For a workbench report and further pictures, please feel free to visit my blog!

With best regards,

Florian

Feel free to visit my blog:
http://florians-militarymodelling.blogspot.com/

March 19th, 2012, 7:08 pm #2

I'm not sure how i feel about it as it's almost identical to Mig Jimenze model posted a few months ago and you can only suffer by comparison i think. It's kind of like someone posting their version of the Mona liza. Mig might be flattered, but i have a mental picture of the two of you battling it out with lightsabers.
It is good though.
I'm out of here before the sparks fly,
Regard's, Dave.

March 19th, 2012, 8:15 pm #3

Hello guys,

I want to show you my latest model! I built the HobbyBoss VK 1602 "Leopard" the last months. After I saw some other models painted in the "Luftwaffe" camouflage colours, I also wanted to try one. For me, as a tankbuilder, it was a great task to get the right colours. So I had to paint it 4 times.

- the kit from HobbyBoss
- foilage from Mininatur

For the comander, I used a dragon figure, with some ABER PE, headphones from Royal Model and collar patches from Archer.

With best regards,

Florian

Were can I buy this mininature and exact what product nr did you use?
TYA

Keep up the good work!
Cheers
Hampus

No tigers like Fehrmann Tigers.

March 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm #4

I'm not sure how i feel about it as it's almost identical to Mig Jimenze model posted a few months ago and you can only suffer by comparison i think. It's kind of like someone posting their version of the Mona liza. Mig might be flattered, but i have a mental picture of the two of you battling it out with lightsabers.
It is good though.
Regard's, Dave.
I don't know about Jiminez, but I would be honored if someone thought enough of one of my models to want to recreate one of his own...however, it would only be welcome if the "recreator" gave a simple acknowledgement as to whose model he had copied (e.g., "Thanks to so-and-so for the inspiration."). I had an experience of my own several years ago: A friend wanted to build a large-scale 1:16 Bergepanther - I had just finished converting the old Bandai 1:25 scale Panther, complete with scratchbuilt winch and all other parts. He borrowed the model and had it for several months to use as a "template"...he took his model to a major competition and won, plus got an in-depth photo essay in a noted model mag - but not one mention from him that he had used my Bergepanther. Maybe that was just as well, since his 40T. winch had only three sheaves, while the real one had four (like mine). My point is, if one is going to make a "knock-off" of someone else's model - give him/her the credit they deserve. Maybe this is sour grapes, but it sure did irk me.

March 19th, 2012, 8:44 pm #5

Hi guys,

this is getting in the wrong direction.

As I already mentioned I was inspired by several models which were painted in luftwaffe camouflage.

But you are right, the "kick off" for building this one was indeed the model of MIG. Because he really nailed his own! In addition he is my idol in building model kits! One day, I want to reach his level of skills. But I think I will fail...

Since this is a really small kit, and used the same colours as MIG told me, the results look probably very similar. To make my model looking a bit different, I tried to add other details, like the brushes and foilage at the turret. Furthermore I added other antennas, an other figure or left one fender away. In addition I used more bright colours for my spare tracks and so on.

The whole story is also a bit funny. Because as I started, I have to admit, that I wanted to figure out, how close I can get to the beautiful finish of MIG. Because of I dont have his talent and his skills, I expected that I wont be too succsessful. But obviously I did some things right, because you are blaming me for simply copying his model. So I am also a bit proud because my painting skills seem to have approved a little bit since my last works.

Last but not least to satisfy your critism I now want to tell everybody, that I used in particular MIG´s beautiful Leopard as an example to build my own!

With best regards,

Florian

March 19th, 2012, 9:01 pm #6

It is good though.
Regard's, Dave.
Thank you very much for your comment.

First, nice that you like it nethertheless.

Second, I tried to explain my motivations for my build in my answer below.

With best regards,

Florian

March 19th, 2012, 9:07 pm #7

Were can I buy this mininature and exact what product nr did you use?
TYA

Keep up the good work!
Cheers
Hampus

No tigers like Fehrmann Tigers.
I used two different products from Mininature:

- 200-11 S
- 200-12 S

It is each time a small package of that bushes. They contain one or two big branches of that foilage. So I simply cutted of my parts from that big one. I think the amount I used for my Leopard is around 5-10% of the amount one box provides.

I ordered them directly from the manufactorer:

info@mininatur.de

But I dont know if they are also delivering abroad?

With best regards,

Florian

March 19th, 2012, 9:43 pm #8

Hello guys,

- the kit from HobbyBoss
- foilage from Mininatur

With best regards,

Florian

Build some models and use a good antetype is not bad at all .I thinks you do a good Job on your model.The look is very similar thats right but very good and i gues Mig would be very pleased .

the only thing i miss is something that hold the sparetracks in place i gues without breakets it´s will slip off from inclined surface .Maybe you able to add something that will make the front of your model more plausible .

resently i have to finish my own leopard before it seems it´s a coppy from an other build .

greetings Detlev

http://panzer-modell.de.tl/

March 19th, 2012, 9:48 pm #9

I don't know about Jiminez, but I would be honored if someone thought enough of one of my models to want to recreate one of his own...however, it would only be welcome if the "recreator" gave a simple acknowledgement as to whose model he had copied (e.g., "Thanks to so-and-so for the inspiration."). I had an experience of my own several years ago: A friend wanted to build a large-scale 1:16 Bergepanther - I had just finished converting the old Bandai 1:25 scale Panther, complete with scratchbuilt winch and all other parts. He borrowed the model and had it for several months to use as a "template"...he took his model to a major competition and won, plus got an in-depth photo essay in a noted model mag - but not one mention from him that he had used my Bergepanther. Maybe that was just as well, since his 40T. winch had only three sheaves, while the real one had four (like mine). My point is, if one is going to make a "knock-off" of someone else's model - give him/her the credit they deserve. Maybe this is sour grapes, but it sure did irk me.
Why do they sell all those how to books. I've always thought of these people were willingly sharing their work and knowledge.

As for your story, sure an acknowledgement might have been nice, but just having someone else's work to look at doesn't create an award winning model (in a different scale). You helped a friend out... That should be reward enough

David's Model Pages

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale

March 19th, 2012, 9:49 pm #10

Hello guys,

- the kit from HobbyBoss
- foilage from Mininatur

With best regards,

Florian

I think you did Mig and yourself proud

David's Model Pages

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale