Villers-Bocage Diorama Pt9

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Villers-Bocage Diorama Pt9

September 30th, 2016, 1:51 pm #1

Afternoon All
Things are still moving along and so, just before adding paint, I thought some pictures of the buildings might be of interest. The last two buildings for the square are a garage on the western side of the square - the breeze-block building in the first picture below; and the building end next to the car in the second picture:

Here are my plastic card versions:

They are both made of plastic card, using some corrugated sheet for the roof of the garage and two different types of textured plasticard for the walls of the building end. The wood planking and tiles are scribed from plasticard.

I've taken a couple of pictures of the buildings in place. It was only obvious that the building end was leaning in the photographs - D'Oh. And then I failed to include the garage. Still, they show the current state of affairs:

Thanks for taking a look.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

September 30th, 2016, 3:07 pm #2

This is going to be one great dio when you're done. Looking forward to future updates.

al
al magnus
On the Way contributor, editor & one who has no lack of success (see definition of success below).

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

September 30th, 2016, 3:33 pm #3

Afternoon All
Things are still moving along and so, just before adding paint, I thought some pictures of the buildings might be of interest. The last two buildings for the square are a garage on the western side of the square - the breeze-block building in the first picture below; and the building end next to the car in the second picture:

They are both made of plastic card, using some corrugated sheet for the roof of the garage and two different types of textured plasticard for the walls of the building end. The wood planking and tiles are scribed from plasticard.

I've taken a couple of pictures of the buildings in place. It was only obvious that the building end was leaning in the photographs - D'Oh. And then I failed to include the garage. Still, they show the current state of affairs:

All the best

Dan
Great job Dan! Looks better and better every time you post your updates. Your models look great but I have to say, the scratch built structures are really stealing the show for me. It's a treat to see them transform from white plastic to realistic looking ones. May I ask what paint brand and colors you used for the building in the center, as well as how you weathered it? It really captures the look. I wish I can achieve such a look when I build my diorama.

-Joseph

September 30th, 2016, 4:02 pm #4

This is going to be one great dio when you're done. Looking forward to future updates.

al
Hello Al
Thank you very much for that.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

September 30th, 2016, 4:11 pm #5

Great job Dan! Looks better and better every time you post your updates. Your models look great but I have to say, the scratch built structures are really stealing the show for me. It's a treat to see them transform from white plastic to realistic looking ones. May I ask what paint brand and colors you used for the building in the center, as well as how you weathered it? It really captures the look. I wish I can achieve such a look when I build my diorama.

-Joseph
Hello Joseph
Thanks for the kind comments. I'm enjoying the buildings and I think it shows. I use Humbrol Enamels for the paintwork - the full process is described in update Pt6 here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/th ... iew+Thread If you would like any more detail, please let me know.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

September 30th, 2016, 4:25 pm #6

I missed that update. I will definitely peruse that thread. Thanks again for sharing your skills!

September 30th, 2016, 4:56 pm #7

Afternoon All

All the best

Dan
Another fantastic project. i'll keep watching and i may finish my ONE building yet.

September 30th, 2016, 5:15 pm #8

Afternoon All

All the best

Dan
What eye candy this is going to be, Dan. Your mastery of architectural models is simply superb and I eagerly anticipate each update. Is it possible it can all be combined into a little tutorial when complete? I think a lot of us would benefit from having it all in one place. Even now, I find myself wanting to go back and see your treatment of the excellent roadwork, but not sure how far back that is.

Cheers,

Neil

September 30th, 2016, 5:45 pm #9

Afternoon All

All the best

Dan
Hi Dan

I'm really enjoying seeing this all start to come together and it's going to be absolutely magnificent when it is done. The thing that I find so impressive is that, while the model is on an undeniably grand scale, all the detail is there - the stonework on the Mairie, the drainpipes etc. Love the colours of the Mairie, too - among the best I have ever seen on a building in this scale. A couple of questions:

- Will you have anything in the front centre of the base (in front of the Cromwells) ?
- Are you considering some form of tromp d'oeil backdrop between the buildings (like some model railroad layouts) ? I ask because you have the painting (on canvas) skill to carry this off.

Andy
'No, I don't know what I'm doing. I never did'. (Carol Aird, 1952)

September 30th, 2016, 6:08 pm #10

Keep this up Dan you will soon over take Bob the Builder LOL, seriously though excellent work the end result will be fantastic