Re: awesome

October 1st, 2016, 5:49 pm #31

Many thanks Jan, much appreciated.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

Ill make a travel initiary, wanted a trip to UK anyhow, this is worth it!

October 1st, 2016, 9:08 pm #32

Hello Peter
Thank you for your interest. Once finished, the model will be on display at the Kent & Sharpshooters Yeomanry Museum, which is situated at Hever Castle in Kent, UK. The museum represents the current manifestation of the County of London Yeomanry, the armoured regiment which took part in the fighting at Villers. For my part, I was once a member of the Royal Green Jackets which, in former years, was born from the Rifle Brigade (also present in the battle).

Best wishes

Dan
Ill make a travel initiary, wanted a trip to UK anyhow, this is worth it!
Regards,
Peter van Kempen.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum.

Fantastic!! This is progressing extremely well...

October 2nd, 2016, 1:09 pm #33

Afternoon All
Things are still moving along and so, just before adding paint, I thought some pictures of the buildings might be of interest. The last two buildings for the square are a garage on the western side of the square - the breeze-block building in the first picture below; and the building end next to the car in the second picture:

Here are my plastic card versions:

They are both made of plastic card, using some corrugated sheet for the roof of the garage and two different types of textured plasticard for the walls of the building end. The wood planking and tiles are scribed from plasticard.

I've taken a couple of pictures of the buildings in place. It was only obvious that the building end was leaning in the photographs - D'Oh. And then I failed to include the garage. Still, they show the current state of affairs:

Thanks for taking a look.

All the best

Dan
...I have to ask there is a lot of rubble in the street from one of you earlier pics, how do you plan to reproduce that?
Cheers
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.
IPMS Canada #C1119, Member #72 IPMS Ottawa
Amps - MAL - #3425

Rubble

October 2nd, 2016, 3:35 pm #34

Hello Graham
Thanks for commenting. I have the advantage that the scenes with lots of rubble are from the German photographs, some of which were taken the day after the battle, and some three or four days later. The best measure of the amount of detritus is from Bill Cotton's photographs which were taken before the British withdrawal and they show relatively little damage to the buildings (save for the one on the left hand corner from the original post). Most of the rubble seems to have been the responsibility of the RAF, attacking the town on the morning of 14th June and, to cover the withdrawal of 22 Armoured Brigade on the evening of the 15th.

Therefore, I can be reasonably subtle. So, for the rubble, I've got a rubber mould I made up to create 'hards' for a landing craft scene. My plan is to pre-colour some plaster of Paris in the moulds and then smash it up to make smaller nits with occasional regular surfaces. To this I can add some bricks, tiles and bits of wooden furniture. As I said though, less is more as I have been careful to pick my moment where there has not been too much destruction yet.

Kind regards

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

Simply ...

October 10th, 2016, 3:44 pm #35

Afternoon All
Things are still moving along and so, just before adding paint, I thought some pictures of the buildings might be of interest. The last two buildings for the square are a garage on the western side of the square - the breeze-block building in the first picture below; and the building end next to the car in the second picture:

Here are my plastic card versions:

They are both made of plastic card, using some corrugated sheet for the roof of the garage and two different types of textured plasticard for the walls of the building end. The wood planking and tiles are scribed from plasticard.

I've taken a couple of pictures of the buildings in place. It was only obvious that the building end was leaning in the photographs - D'Oh. And then I failed to include the garage. Still, they show the current state of affairs:

Thanks for taking a look.

All the best

Dan
WOW. Been away for two weeks and just catching up. superb!