Villers-Bocage Diorama Part 2

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Villers-Bocage Diorama Part 2

June 21st, 2016, 2:17 pm #1

Hello All
As mentioned in the previous post, I thought a layout would be interesting to show you where the diorama is going. It's just set out on the floor at the moment but I have a section of foam-board cut out in order to duplicate the hill on which the town lies. Here's the general layout:

The two German tanks are on the high street having passed the square in which Bill Cotton and his troop have been lying in wait. The Firefly will be up against the side of the shop facing onto the high street. The Mairie is set back from the high street with an area of pavement in front, forming a piazza effect. Note the 6-pdr hiding in the lane on the far side.

Here's a picture of the Mairie as it was before the RAF visited. I have three or four similar images from which I have made the building.

On the western face of the square, this shop faces on to the high street just where the Tiger and Pz IV were stopped.

An this shows the relative location of those two tanks based on the Bundesarchiv picture of them after the battle.

Next time I'll try to progress things so that the base is roughed out to give you an idea of the slope. The Pz IV is another Revell kit and is a really impressive piece of moulding. It's very crisp and precise and a very close match for the version in the pictures. I'll post something about this as well.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

June 21st, 2016, 4:06 pm #2

Wow. Massive scope. I'm looking forward to watching the progress on this one. Do you plan to do a backdrop on two sides, or are the walls merely for photography purposes? Will this end up in the museum?

Of course if you get bored and want a bit of fun, there's always a vignette of the Illustrated New's "Sci-Fi" pic of the mighty ( )Covenanter blowing away the Tiger...

June 21st, 2016, 4:16 pm #3

Hello Bob
Thanks for the comment. The display cabinet into which this will go has glass on three sides and I was going to use the back wall for a caption explaining what's going on. So yes, it is intended as a an exhibit in the museum.

The ILN drawing must have been created by one of the Covenanter's design team - surely they are the only ones who could imagine such a scene.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

June 21st, 2016, 6:59 pm #4

Hello All
As mentioned in the previous post, I thought a layout would be interesting to show you where the diorama is going. It's just set out on the floor at the moment but I have a section of foam-board cut out in order to duplicate the hill on which the town lies. Here's the general layout:

The two German tanks are on the high street having passed the square in which Bill Cotton and his troop have been lying in wait. The Firefly will be up against the side of the shop facing onto the high street. The Mairie is set back from the high street with an area of pavement in front, forming a piazza effect. Note the 6-pdr hiding in the lane on the far side.

Here's a picture of the Mairie as it was before the RAF visited. I have three or four similar images from which I have made the building.

On the western face of the square, this shop faces on to the high street just where the Tiger and Pz IV were stopped.

An this shows the relative location of those two tanks based on the Bundesarchiv picture of them after the battle.

Next time I'll try to progress things so that the base is roughed out to give you an idea of the slope. The Pz IV is another Revell kit and is a really impressive piece of moulding. It's very crisp and precise and a very close match for the version in the pictures. I'll post something about this as well.

All the best

Dan
nt

June 21st, 2016, 7:00 pm #5

Hello All

All the best

Dan
your not doing this by halves are you!!

Going to be a fantastic representation of this aspect of the battle and a real reason why I think "our scale" is best for dioramas like this

June 21st, 2016, 7:13 pm #6

Hello All

All the best

Dan
Hi Dan,

This looks really good already! I will be following your methodology closely as I want to do a somewhat smaller diorama set in a small French hamlet. The buildings are really nicely done, do you use foam-board for the basis of these buildings? Also what do you use for windows and doors? A wonderful project and one that will inspire many of us to have a go as well.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

June 21st, 2016, 8:07 pm #7

Hello All

All the best

Dan
...can't wait to see it all go together. A small piece of history captured in model form!!
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.

June 21st, 2016, 9:12 pm #8

nt
nt
Dan Taylor Modelworks

June 21st, 2016, 9:14 pm #9

your not doing this by halves are you!!

Going to be a fantastic representation of this aspect of the battle and a real reason why I think "our scale" is best for dioramas like this
Hi Paul
Thanks for that. You are spot-on about the ideal scale for dioramas, so much more you can do.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

June 21st, 2016, 9:19 pm #10

Hi Dan,

This looks really good already! I will be following your methodology closely as I want to do a somewhat smaller diorama set in a small French hamlet. The buildings are really nicely done, do you use foam-board for the basis of these buildings? Also what do you use for windows and doors? A wonderful project and one that will inspire many of us to have a go as well.

All the best,

Paul
Hi Paul
Thanks for the kind words - it does seem to be coming together. Is there a specific hamlet you are looking to model or are you trying something generic?

These buildings are from plastic card, though I've just started to use a product called Foamex. It is used by the printing trade and is really good to work with. It is like plastic card that has very fine bubbles in it. Very easy to cut and work, very light, comes in a variety of thicknesses and seems to work well when being skimmed with textured plastic cards. I have some 4mm material which is a great thickness for buildings in our scale.

The doors too are plastic card though I will be employing some etched brass window frames and shutters.

All the best
Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks