Trumpeter M1 Panther II built (and updated)

September 14th, 2018, 10:44 pm #1

m1pant_02.jpg m1pant_03.jpg After having built a M1 and M1IP using Esci kits, a Marine M1A1 and a M1A2 using Dragon kits and finally  a M1A2SEP using parts from a Dragon on the Revell kit I planned to build a M1 Panther II of the remaining Dragon parts but let it go when Trumpeter announced that they were going to do the Panther II. 

m1pant_04.jpg m1pant_05.jpg I bought the Trumpeter kit and started to explore what had to be altered on the kit. I knew that the Panther II was built on the IP hull but the kit was made with an later type. As it turned out I had made almost all the back dating of the Dragon hull to a IP variant so I decided to use it and add the rest from the Trumpeter kit.

m1pant_06.jpg m1pant_07.jpg I built the kit and got it ready for paint when it stalled. That was about 6-7 years ago but now I finally got it out and finished it.
m1pant_08.JPG
trumpeter-ip.jpg

It is built straight out of the box (not counting the hull top swap). The red squares on the Trumpeter hull is the parts I remember changing. I also noted that there is a "panel line" missing in the right side skirts.
It's funny. Revell messed up the right side skirt on their kit too but worse. It has been a long time since I have finished an armour kit but now I'm planning on doing some more.
Last edited by Björn Bäcklund on September 18th, 2018, 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Björn Bäcklund

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/home.html

September 15th, 2018, 8:27 pm #2

Bjorn, I'm thrilled to see you posting again. Your work is sensational, well done on that Panther. A most impressive build that looks even better with the changes. Congrats on getting a shelf queen finished. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

September 16th, 2018, 2:20 pm #3

Great work on this kit Bjorn!! Thanks for the info on mods to the base tank!
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.
IPMS Canada #C1119, Member #72 IPMS Ottawa
Amps - MAL - #3425

September 16th, 2018, 10:41 pm #4

Björn

How long is it since you have posted?  It’s great to have you back 🙂

I’m not surprised at your choice of subject, your work to correct a manufacturer’s shortcuts and the end product.  Well done!

The 6-7 year gap in building the model gives me some hope for my stalled projects 😉

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

September 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm #5

Thanks.
It feels good to be back. This was a very friendly group and I hope it has stayed like that.
m1pant_09.JPG
m1pant_10.JPG I was looking at pictures and decided to add some details to the mine roller. Now I will leave it and go on to the next project. I opened a box to start planning and found out that I already had started on it.
I also looked through the left overs from my Abrams builds and noticed that there are parts to an almost complete tank. I think that it is just "the luggage rack" at the rear of the turret that is missing. 
Björn Bäcklund

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/home.html