September 14th, 2018, 7:52 pm #11

Looks great Paul! That should be a fine model when finished.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

September 16th, 2018, 9:03 am #12

@ Graham. The Leos should look great together. It'd be nice to see an aftermarket product that could reproduce Barracuda, I wonder if that's something that Munro Purdoe could do using the etched card that's used for Zimmerit?

@ Elliott. I'm keen to see how the Scimitar turns out and see the M5 progress too.

@ Arei. The YPR765 looks very interesting, you don't see one of these built very often.

@ The Duke. Another interesting little subject, Russian WWII Fire Truck, can't say I've seen one built before, great idea.

@ Paul. That's a nice looking little kit Paul, they're 76th right?  There's something intriguing about a riveted tank, makes for great weathering effects.

Cheers Tim
Tim James
aka TJ
Styrene Manipulator.
Lover of heavy metal armour and shiny fast muscle cars.
"Slow progress is better than no progress"

September 16th, 2018, 10:26 am #13

Hello Tim,

Yes, it's 1/76.  I am not sure that there will be overmuch weathering, these vehicles were in use during the period where 'spit and polish' was paramount.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

September 16th, 2018, 2:13 pm #14

@Paul - that is an interesting little kit, is the hull hollow or is the hatch just open a bit into the hull?

@Tim - For these 2 tanks I'm not worried about Barracuda Cam net as it it not regularly deployed in Canada, BUT, I do have a slat detail set for the 2A6 which will need the cam???

My $00.05 on the inclusion of Paul's kit in the draw - go for it!! I'm sure we can count on full disclosure from the draw committee, if there is a huge uproar we can look at an independent party, (some 35th modellers) to supervise??
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.
IPMS Canada #C1119, Member #72 IPMS Ottawa
Amps - MAL - #3425

September 16th, 2018, 3:36 pm #15

Hello Graham,

Yes the hull is hollow, but about 1cm thick!  The doors are glued in place and I did think about having them open, but with the casting's thickness it wouldn't have been very convincing and I didn't want to start shaving large amounts of resin from the inside to make it look thinner.  It is a nice kit though and I am enjoying making it up.  I had a bonus today, whilst she was gardening the wife was throwing out some Lavender plants that had been decimated by the freak heatwave, I snagged them and they have fabulous root systems that can be used for 'branches' and 'trees', so that is the groundwork sorted.

Thank you for your kind words about the prize fund, I don't take part in any of these things as the prizes were scrounged by myself for distribution to you lot in the Quizzes and other competitions.  This one was entirely the suggestion of Michael Bishop and I sorted out the mechanics of it, I am happy about just taking part in the Group Build.  I get my reward from the great emails I receive when someone has unexpectedly won something, priceless.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

September 16th, 2018, 8:40 pm #16

Thanks Tim. I did build another Russian fire truck some years back. It was the same truck built with a Studebaker cab. This one has the ZIS-5 cab that we are all familiar with.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.