Looking for an old U.S. Army Regulation

August 12th, 2018, 8:37 pm #1

Specifically, I am trying to find a copy of AR 705-14 Assigning Popular Names to Major Items of Equipment , which was first promulgated October 1963 or its successor AR 70-28 of 4 April 1969. I have queries in to UDSAMHI/AHEC and CMH, but wonder if someone might have run across a copy.

TIA,

Rich Anderson

August 14th, 2018, 1:08 am #2

August 14th, 2018, 5:20 pm #3

Thanks Kurt. Yes, the modern version is the most easily accessible. Interestingly, it appears that when AR 70-28 replaced 705-14 the emphasis shifted to aerial vehicles - Army helicopters. 😉

My interest of course relates to the whole question of just when the Army nicknames for tanks became official and what the names were. Nick Moran, Ken Estes, and Dave Fletcher of course touched on it and then Nick blogged on it, but I contend in For Purpose of Service Test that Barnes actions of May and November 1944 only held sway within Ordnance and even then only tenuously except in Barnes' Research and Development Service bailiwick, which issued the "order".

I hope that the references possibly contained in AR 705-14 might resolve the issue, since it appears as the first AR to address the matter, although given that it was not promulgated until 19 years after Barnes issued hi "order" that might alone be conclusive. 😀

Anyway, I know the Pentagon Library has a digital copy, but I no longer have a library card and have moved to the PNW after retiring from contracting in the DC area, so we'll see what happens. I also have a query out to USAMHI/AHEC, but they sadly are no longer as helpful as they used to be in the halcyon days when Ridgway Hall and AHEC first opened and you stood a good chance of getting Dr. Sommers as your research assistant. 😂

Anyway, I will post when I find something more.

Cheers!

August 14th, 2018, 6:44 pm #4

Okay, well the Pentagon Library came through! Yes, AR 705-14, 31 October 1963, was the first official recognition for assigning popular names to major items of Army equipment. It confirmed the unofficial policy set forth in DA Memo 705-3, 21 July 1959. The categories and suggested names were;

(1) Infantry weapons-famous early American pioneers. Examples: CROCKETT, CARSON, CODY, and BOONE.
(2) Field artillery weapons-action nouns.Examples: KILLER, CONQUERER, PEACEMAKER, and DESTROYER.
(3) Air defense artillery weapons-action nouns. Examples: DEFENDER, PROTECTOR, BLOCKER, and SHIELD.
(4) Tanks-American generals. Examples: LEE, JACKSON, STUART, WASHINGTON, MEADE, and HOOKER.
(5) Armored combat vehicles (less tanks) - animals associated with speed. Examples: CHEETA, COUGAR, PANTHER, and LEOPARD.
(6) Antitank and assault weapons-vicious reptiles and insects. Examples: COBRA, RATTLESNAKE, COPPERHEAD, VIPER, WASP, HORNET,
SCORPION, and TARANTULA.
(7) Army aircraft-Indian terms and names of American Indian tribes and chiefs. Examples: MOHAWK, IROQUOIS, CHEROKEE, GERONIMO, and TECUMSEH.
(8) Communications, electronic and surveillance equipment-words descriptive of the function of the equipment. Examples: SENTRY, MASTER, and SCOUT.
(9) Engineer mobility equipment-animals associated with building, construction, industriousness, or strength. Examples: MOLE, FERRET, BADGER, BEAR, and BUFFALO.

Note that the only World War II relevant popular names retained were for the tanks, while WOLVERINE remains ever elusive. 😂

Cheers!