Identity of two Sextons

9:53 PM - Aug 11, 2018 #1

Hi all,
I found these photos online, and am wondering if anyone can identify which units, or even which countries, these two Sextons belonged to. Uniforms certainly look British, or other Commonwealth. The first photo is clearly from a museum.
Thanks!
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg

9:33 AM - Aug 12, 2018 #2

Good Morning Chris,
No certainties, but agree that both vehicles are British. I'll try to find a match for the battery badge on the side of the first image. It appears to be on a Scottish saltire (St Andrews cross), so might be a bit of a clue.
From the road wheel mix that one has been in service for a while and suspect it is post-war in either Egypt or Libya, where the British Army had armoured units.
The second image with the full set of markings and a label identifying the vehicle suggest post-war BAOR. I would identify the divisional insignia as 7th Armoured Division. The Rodneys (sorry Officers) do not appear to have the R.A, cap badge, more likely the Royal Horse Artillery one from the narrow shape. This narrows it down a bit.
From my limited time in Germany my unit was hosted by an Artillery unit, and I noted that the batteries were very tribal with their badges. (Although the REME bar was the friendliest!)
A Google of RHA Battery badges identifies 'P' Battery, Dragon Troop, part of 6th RHA from 1941 serving in NWE, then post war in Palestine, Libya and the Central Zone till 1951.
Hope this helps.

Paul M.

11:40 AM - Aug 12, 2018 #3

Hi Chris. Both vehicles appear to belong to the Royal Horse Artillery. Which would make sense as they were the main users of Sexton. The first one has what looks like an RHA badge superimposed on the saltire. The second one actually has 3 RHA written above the 74 on the front plate, and its markings are correct for that unit in North West Europe 44/45. As Paul says though, both pictures are probably post war.

Windy

5:36 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #4

@ Paul
Rodneys?  Not Ruperts?  Must be a scaley term!
Chris

6:35 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #5

Chris Grove wrote: @ Paul
Rodneys?  Not Ruperts?  Must be a scaley term!
Chris
I think he may be a closet matelot! I always thought Rodney was the Navy equivalent.

8:19 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #6

"Wuperts were commissioned from Sandhurst, Wodneys come up through the r(w)anks"... Or so I was told a very long time ago..... Probably at Catterick where I was actually older than the two Cpl. instructors Tough & Justice (slow learner...).

I think the only time I've seen it in print  was the sequel to 'Don't cry for me Sgt. Major' (Hands/McGowan 1983) titled 'Try not to laugh Sgt. Major' by McGowan about life in BAOR.  NOW I'll have to search to see if I still have my copy.......

Brain cell fired up:- https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threa ... ys.137184/

Regarding the original question, Windy, you've either got better eyesight than me (not difficult) or a better grasp of the technology!  I could not make out the writing at all....

Paul M.

9:44 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #7

That's a new one for me Paul. Everyday a school day etc. 

As for the picture, it's a bit blurred but if you open it in a new tab and then zoom in you can just make out 3 RHA on the white bar above the AoS. Same with the first picture - there's an oval badge, hard to make out, superimposed on the saltire. Pretty certain it's the RHA badge but I can't think of a Battery with a Scottish connection. Might be worth posting this on the Arrse. There's bound to be someone on there who could give you chapter and verse!
Last edited by Windy Miller on 7:27 AM - Aug 13, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

11:39 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #8

Morning Windy,
Googled this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%27P% ... SzIBakqQZM:

Same-same? (ish).

Paul M.

7:26 AM - Aug 13, 2018 #9

Paul Middleton wrote: Morning Windy,
Googled this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%27P% ... SzIBakqQZM:

Same-same? (ish).

Paul M.
That's the badger Paul, spot on! 'A' Bty 1RHA, otherwise known as Chestnut Troop. Dont know why I didnt recognise it, but then being an infanteer I try to avoid gunners!

Windy

11:23 PM - Aug 14, 2018 #10

Many thanks for your quick and helpful replies, Paul and Windy!