Whats the next GB?

July 14th, 2018, 12:37 am #1

Wasnt there something about towed guns discussed earlier in the year?

July 14th, 2018, 1:09 am #2

Hello John,

I will have to trawl through the DG to find the appropriate post, meanwhile I was thinking that the subject 'Home Front' might be interesting, every country had a 'Home Front' and there are lots of ideas that can be used to produce some interesting models.  It was Mark Davies Lee that fostered that idea.  Don't worry we will have a discussion near the end of the current GB as to what people would like to have a crack at.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 14th, 2018, 2:40 am #3

Sounds good Paul.

July 14th, 2018, 9:49 pm #4

When does the current open-topped GB end? When I came on board a couple of months back I think it had already started.

Just realised week 22 of 24 has just finished, so presumably one more week to go.
Cheers,
Mark

July 14th, 2018, 11:18 pm #5

Hello Mark,

The deadline has been extended by 4 weeks to 28, to allow people more time due to distractions like the World Cup, Wimbledon, Test Cricket, holidays etc, so a bit of time yet.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 15th, 2018, 2:07 am #6

PAUL GILES wrote: Hello Mark,

The deadline has been extended by 4 weeks to 28, to allow people more time due to distractions like the World Cup, Wimbledon, Test Cricket, holidays etc, so a bit of time yet.

All the best,

Paul
Thanks Paul,

I'll take a look at what I that might qualify then.
Cheers,
Mark

July 16th, 2018, 2:05 am #7

All the best,

Paul
Hi Paul,

Just curious - I searched and found the Open-Topped criteria:

The Group Build for this half of the year is to be 'Open topped'. The parameters are quite simple: Any vehicle that is wholly, or partially, open-topped, from any country and any era. There is no requirement for a starting photo, started builds are ok (the only proviso is that they are finished within the time frame of the Group Build). This week and next week are preparatory weeks for the main Group Build, we can discuss what we intend to do and iron out any wrinkles. The main Group Build will last for 24 weeks and run until 4th July. I look forward to seeing what everyone is thinking of doing and, hopefully, we can have a really great Group Build.

My question then is do open-bed trucks or well-side pickups qualify for open-topped if they have a canvas canopy in place? I assume not, since they are no longer open-topped with a cover in place.
Cheers,
Mark

July 16th, 2018, 11:22 am #8

Hello Mark,

They do qualify as the the canvas tilt is only temporary.  Looks like we have overrun the deadline by a bit already :).

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

July 16th, 2018, 11:29 am #9

They do qualify as the the canvas tilt is only temporary.  Looks like we have overrun the deadline by a bit already :).

All the best,

Paul
Thanks Paul,

I was contemplating a Tilly pickup but may opt for a US tank-destroyer, maybe an M10 or M18, or perhaps a Komintern artillery tractor. So we have three weeks to go, right? What exactly is the new finish date, please?
Cheers,
Mark

July 16th, 2018, 11:37 am #10

Sorry for confusing folk, I mis-typed the heading, it should have read '22 of 28', so this will be week 23 and the end date will be 28th August.  So with your amazing build speed you should get one (or more!) of those choices done.  Look forward to seeing what you chose to do.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur