Need help with AOS identification Vickers Mk.VI AA

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

July 11th, 2018, 4:18 pm #11

I would change the bridge weight disc to the basic colour for the 7 and a black background, seems to be the most feasible combination. Looking at the tonal values of the "30" on the back and the AOS sign next to it, the background of the "30" appears a bit darker than the lower half of the AOS, could that actually be black behind the "30"?
Information not shared is information lost.

July 12th, 2018, 6:50 pm #12

I think all plausible suggestions by Jens.

The yellow over red behind '171' - that is a colour combination for AoS symbols I'm unfamiliar with.   

Should mention that the Osprey publication on these light tanks has 'Hurricane' in one of their colour plates, but took the easy route and have it only illustrated from the left side so as not to tackle the markings at front and back.  The caption info also makes no mention of any particular unit.

regards,
Jack

July 13th, 2018, 9:10 am #13

Whatever made you conclude that this tank was mottled in the German style when the dark bands are clearly visible?

July 14th, 2018, 12:19 am #14

Mikestarmer wrote: Whatever made you conclude that this tank was mottled in the German style when the dark bands are clearly visible?
That was just one of my test textures. only the decals were final (color is still debateable.)

Here are the new ones with the Camo and Changes based on Jens input about the black Background. The Camo Color is still open to debate, as is the color of the AOS.

July 14th, 2018, 2:51 am #15

Clarification needs to be made about the AoS colours of Army Tank Brigades - is it really brown over blue, or the other way around as illustrated in the Warpaint series?  A sample can be found in this review:
http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/warpain ... 3-volume-3

I know Canada had the blue over brown, but began the numbered sequence at 172 for the Brigade HQ:

If it is blue on top, then the devil's advocate shows up.  The possibility again, of the image being reproduced from ortho film since the blue can become much lighter, as in these b/w examples of fuselage roundels as well as the identity stripe on the tail - leading edge would be red, followed by white and then blue:

Again, not saying this is the answer, but just a possibility.

regards,
Jack

July 14th, 2018, 10:06 am #16

Jack Geratic wrote: Clarification needs to be made about the AoS colours of Army Tank Brigades - is it really brown over blue, or the other way around as illustrated in the Warpaint series?  A sample can be found in this review:
http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/warpain ... 3-volume-3

I know Canada had the blue over brown, but began the numbered sequence at 172 for the Brigade HQ:

If it is blue on top, then the devil's advocate shows up.  The possibility again, of the image being reproduced from ortho film since the blue can become much lighter, as in these b/w examples of fuselage roundels as well as the identity stripe on the tail - leading edge would be red, followed by white and then blue:

Again, not saying this is the answer, but just a possibility.

regards,
Jack

Since its a Army Tank Brigade that could be very much possible. That leaves only 2 options from the sheet above depending on the camo of the tank.

July 18th, 2018, 3:03 pm #17

Based on the link to the forum by @Gary Donaldson
I changed the color of the camo to one more suited to a Tank marked for Operation Torch.

The Camo color is SCC 2 with SCC 14 for the dark parts. The AOS emblem is blue on tan as in the sheet i posted above.