Ford GPA & DUKW's

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

July 12th, 2018, 4:58 pm #31

This subject of DUKW colour was discussed in the past in either this or the Allied forum, but I can't seem to find it using the new Search engine...

So here are some colour frames, some of the same view in different versions, showing a variety of shades, depending on the lighting and version of the film.

Firstly, DUKWs of 199 GT Coy (DUKW) at Bernières:
DUKW 199 C20 P5544763 - COLOUR - 2.jpg DUKW 199 C20 P5544763 - COLOUR - DUKW_Canadian_troops_Normandy_June_1944._LAC_Photo_MIKAN_No._4233777.jpg DUKW 199 C20 P5544763 - COLOUR - e010750641-v8 - MIKAN 4233777.jpg DUKW 199 C27 - 2.jpg DUKW 199 C27 - From Normandy to Germany in 1944 in color and HD.jpg DUKW GREY.jpg

Then, a small frame showing the difference between the Khaki of the half-track and the Grey of the DUKW (this time on KING):
COLOUR - DUKW grey in background - Halftrack_M5_IHC_FranceNormandy_Jun1944_1117.jpg
And finally, all DUKWs were not in Grey livery! Here is a DUKW of 633 GT Coy (Med DUKW), again in Bernières:
DUKW 21AG - From Normandy to Germany - 29.38.jpg
I have to pause here, because of the limitation to 10 attachments.

To be continued...

Michel
Last edited by Michel Sabarly on July 12th, 2018, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2018, 5:35 pm #32

(...continued from last post)

The last frame in my previous post comes from the same film as some of those above it, and the difference in colour is striking. Not so on Black & White films, where the Khaki or Grey colours tend to result in very similar shades, even under absolutely identical conditions of lighting etc. See for example this series of paired frames shot at 8 seconds' interval, with first DUKW 633-B-10 (Khaki) immediately followed by DUKW 199/A16 (Grey):
A - DUKW 633-B-10 vs 199-A16.jpg B - DUKW 633-B-10 vs 199-A16.jpg C - DUKW 633-B-10 vs 199-A16.jpg
You will of course have recognised that 633-B-10 is the very same Khaki DUKW as on the last colour frame in my previous post, and that this B&W clip is shot right after the colour one!

Of additional interest is how the formation sign on 633-B-10 shows more like the LofC HQs (Blue cross on Yellow shield) or perhaps 2 Army sign (Yellow sword on Blue cross on White shield) on the colour frame, but is plainly the 21 A Gp/GHQ & LoC Tps sign (Blue cross on Red shield) on the B&W frames.

This leads me to post an updated version of my small summary table as follows:
DUKW Units OVERLORD v3.jpg The first six Coys probably all had the Beach Group emblem, and the last five the 21 A Gp one. I'm saying the last five (and not six), because AoS 1399d is almost certainly one among 9, 50 or 160 GT Coys, since apparently only eleven DUKW Coys were deployed in NWE in total.
The DUKW colour (Khaki or Grey) is indicated as background colour, when known. I am not fully certain about 50 GT Coy, but there seems to be a pattern here, with the Coys wearing the Beach Group emblem having their DUKWs in Grey, while the others, under 21 A Gp, kept their Khaki (or US Olive Drab?) colour.
However, on DUKWs of 299 Coy, the Beach Group sign is clearly of a different shade from the vehicle colour (see photos in the first posts in this thread), which might indicate a Khaki colour for the DUKWs, or a Sand colour for the Beach Group sign...

Michel

July 14th, 2018, 6:48 am #33

David Clark wrote: While we are on the subject of DUKWs, does anyone have any ideas about the D-Day colour?  Dan suggests that Humbrol 106 is a good match but I don't use Humbrol 🤓

I am assuming that the grey colour was chosen to make the DUKWs less visible on the run into the beach and, if so, RN landing craft colours would be the most likely.  That suggest either G10 or B30.  The former is a dark grey used on landing craft horizontal surfaces. The latter is a blue-grey used as a disruptor over white vertical surfaces.

It seems that Vallejo 867 - Dark Bluegrey - is a match for G10 and Vallejo 885 - Pastel Green - with dash of grey is close to B30.

What did you use Elliott?

By the way, the lack of a dorsal fin on the "dolphin" has concerned me.  After playing around with Photoshop and the three photographs of A18, I am no closer to a resolution but I think that it could be a seal 🤔

Cheers

David
Hi David, 
Sorry I still use Humbrol I think it was 157 Azure Blue?
Good point about the Dorsal fin, The 'pose' was more Shark than Dolphin
(Dolphins are more commonly drawn diving up out of the water in a arc)
Seals would make more sense being able to move from sea to land.
but again not a common pose for a Seal.

Cheers
Elliott

July 14th, 2018, 10:27 am #34

Hi Michel, I did wondered weather DUKW in the Beach Groups were Grey & the 21st Army ones were OD to Dan Taylor,
The reason we thought 299 Coy DUKWs were grey, were they looked lighter than the GPA,
I think some grey Beach group vehicles just used a red circle & anchor like the C27 at Ver St Aubin pic
but some also used a very light blue infill

& in the case below set in a square behind.

and a restored one 

Here is the thread from the Allied DG I think you were talking about
rn-dukw-colours-t94798-s10.html
I remember finding the M5 of the 50th ID 90th Field Regt

also I think this was in the background of the C27 clip at Ver St Aubin.

Great getting more detail added to the DUKW Coy graph.
& finding which disbanded Infantry Div was used

Cheers
Elliott

http://wavynavy.blogspot.com/2018/02/ph ... fts-8.html
Last edited by Elliott Winthrop on July 15th, 2018, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 14th, 2018, 3:04 pm #35

Hi Elliot

Have you any idea of what date the first pic was?

Only asking because the BARV is towing an RAF Bedford OX and 33" trailer ashore.

I was under the impression that the Air Stores Parks and similar only came ashore from D-Day +12, and mainly through Mulberry 'B'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What happens when you press this bu...........

Yesterday, 3:38 am #36

Dave Haine wrote: Hi Elliot

Have you any idea of what date the first pic was?

Only asking because the BARV is towing an RAF Bedford OX and 33" trailer ashore.

I was under the impression that the Air Stores Parks and similar only came ashore from D-Day +12, and mainly through Mulberry 'B'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Dave, Yes 14th June

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_arm ... ry_vehicle

http://wavynavy.blogspot.com/2018/02/ph ... fts-8.html

Cheers
Elliott

Yesterday, 3:53 am #37

another matches, the first pic shows the side of the house in the last pic
there are two signs the same one at the front & one on the side.

above two from
http://www.allpics4u.com/places/normand ... d-now.html
Looks the same but town seems more built up behind?

looking back towards the sea

& I'm guessing from the back?

20180715_151222.jpg