Vietnam vegetation

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Vietnam vegetation

Harry Scholtmeijer
Harry Scholtmeijer

May 14th, 2002, 6:52 am #1

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on doing my first Nam dio, for which my question is: What gives the best Vietnam vegetation? I want to home-make some palm trees, but can I just use lichen for the smaller shrubs or does that look awkward?

Reagrds, Harry

Bruce Teal
Bruce Teal

May 14th, 2002, 4:02 pm #2

Try Fish tank decorative plastic plants from pet shops. You can get a wide variety of plants for less $$$$.

Cheers

Scott Lodder
Scott Lodder

May 14th, 2002, 4:12 pm #3

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on doing my first Nam dio, for which my question is: What gives the best Vietnam vegetation? I want to home-make some palm trees, but can I just use lichen for the smaller shrubs or does that look awkward?

Reagrds, Harry
I am also doing a Dio in that same era. There is a thread about vegetation (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thr ... =987133273).
Last night I tried wire and foil. I am only in the 'testing' phase. It seems to look pretty good so far, I have not painted it yet. I tool wire of varying thickness and CA glued it to foil (I used common kitchen stuff). When dried I cut the foil and then used a scribe tool to carefully scribe in leaf details. For speed I took a long sheet of foil and glued a long row of wire to it and I then cut out each individual leaf.
So far so good, its very in expensive too. This might not be practical for a large-scale dio. Hope it helps.

Deniz PELVAN
Deniz PELVAN

May 14th, 2002, 6:06 pm #4

Hi Guys,

Reagrds, Harry
This month's MMi had an article on a Pacific Marine figure and also a how-to on making palm trees/tropic vegetation...
Deniz

Harry Scholtmeijer
Harry Scholtmeijer

May 16th, 2002, 9:37 am #5

Thanks guys,

Just one extra question though: what does MMi stand for, which magazine is it and do they have a website?

Regards, Harry

Dus Adele
Dus Adele

May 16th, 2002, 11:24 pm #6

Hello Harry,
No website of their own.I think they
sponsor one called 'panzermaniacs'though.
I don't know the exact address.