Vietnam Diorama

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Vietnam Diorama

Paul Rylands
Paul Rylands

January 3rd, 2001, 1:58 pm #1

I am starting a Vietnam diorama showing a shot down A6 Intruder with pilot escaping the VC through a rice field. First of all, How best can I gauge the A6's fuselage and tail so that it is in proportion to the rest of the diorama.

What can I use for water in the dio?

Any help would be most appreciated.

thanks

Danny Egan
Danny Egan

January 3rd, 2001, 6:16 pm #2

How you handle the A-6 depends on the scale in which you are working, IMHO. If its 1/48 or smaller, just use a suitably modified airplane kit and hope to find or build good figures.

If 1/35th, why do you need to show the plane at all? The pilot's clothing and equipment will make the story obvious.

One other thing; this would make a great shadow box if you feel like getting into all that work. The pilot could be 1/35th, 120mm or whatever; the pursuing VC could be 1/35th, back a bit, and a small scale (even 1/144) A-6 could be shown crashed a few scale hundred meters away.

January 4th, 2001, 7:31 am #3

I am starting a Vietnam diorama showing a shot down A6 Intruder with pilot escaping the VC through a rice field. First of all, How best can I gauge the A6's fuselage and tail so that it is in proportion to the rest of the diorama.

thanks

.Paul, it is most unlikely that you would need to consider clear water. I have got good effects by using a plaster of paris mix ( very watery) poured into the base and allowed tosettle and dry over 24 hours. It can then be coated with green or brown oil or acryllic paint and then given a number of gloss overcoats finishing off with a semi-gloss finish. If you want to show rice plants then you may need to drill numerous holes and glue in pieces of green painted sisal twine and use white glue plus a bit of acryllic green or brown paint to hold them in place.( an alternative is to have the simulated rice already in place before carefully pouring the plaster, which would need to be premixed with acryllic paint.) Footsteps of the moving pilot could be worked into the water during the plaster water's drying process using a richer brown to illustrate the bottom mud raised to the surface by the pilots boots. good luck John L

Jeff Brooks
Jeff Brooks

January 4th, 2001, 2:35 pm #4

thanks

Hi Paul,
Do you have your heart set on an Intruder? If not, you might consider a downed helo. If you can find the DML O6-H Loach, it makes into a great little kit that might be better suited to your idea. Tamiya also had the perfect guys for you in the M-113 ACAV kit. Just change their heads with chopper pilot heads and you would be ready to rock.

Kinda changes the objective, but it might be easier to pull off due to the less wasted space.

Hope it helps.
Jeff

panzercrazy
panzercrazy

January 25th, 2001, 2:22 am #5

MRC has a good array of viet nam copters.The Dragon manufacturers also have impressive figures from that era which are easy to modify to pilots.