Verlinden 120mm Panzer II

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Verlinden 120mm Panzer II

May 14th, 2012, 9:52 pm #1

I have this kit and was wondering if it is worth building or should I just sell it.
Looks nice but cleaning up all the resin doesn't seem like something I want to tackle.
Anyone know what the original price was? I searched but couldn't find any on Ebay.

Thanks,
Owen

May 14th, 2012, 10:44 pm #2

It was a huge hassle, largely because of the rather crude engineering and molding. You have to sand down since much of the kit was cast from open faced molds. The multi part body was warpy and its hard to get the body panels an even thickness. The level of detail is about like an old 1970s Bandai kit, despite the size of the model. Honestly, I think even the old Tamiya motorized Panzer II F has as much or more detail. Supposedly the kit is based on a reconstructed tank at the Saumur Museum so it does not represent one particular version of the Panzer II. The included photo etch is pretty basic and crude. It seems to be made from copper (?) and it really doesn't add much to the kit. The link tracks were not fun either. In the end it looked "okay" but it was a stuggle and no fun to build. The only reason I built this was I was doing it for a friend. I also built the 37mm PaK, Field Kitchen, 20mm FlaK, and another one that I forget now. All of them were pretty poor IMHO given the price and size.

DAVID NICKELS

May 15th, 2012, 1:29 am #3

I also built one, even painted it. A miracle for me....

Owen

May 15th, 2012, 2:37 am #4

It was a huge hassle, largely because of the rather crude engineering and molding. You have to sand down since much of the kit was cast from open faced molds. The multi part body was warpy and its hard to get the body panels an even thickness. The level of detail is about like an old 1970s Bandai kit, despite the size of the model. Honestly, I think even the old Tamiya motorized Panzer II F has as much or more detail. Supposedly the kit is based on a reconstructed tank at the Saumur Museum so it does not represent one particular version of the Panzer II. The included photo etch is pretty basic and crude. It seems to be made from copper (?) and it really doesn't add much to the kit. The link tracks were not fun either. In the end it looked "okay" but it was a stuggle and no fun to build. The only reason I built this was I was doing it for a friend. I also built the 37mm PaK, Field Kitchen, 20mm FlaK, and another one that I forget now. All of them were pretty poor IMHO given the price and size.
Are we talking about the same kit? I haven't looked at it in awhile but the body if I remember was one piece.
What body panels do you mean?

Owen

May 15th, 2012, 12:37 pm #5

Its been what 20 years since I built it but IIRC the chassis was made up of flat panels you have to glue together. The Tiger etc are the same way. The turret was one big solid casting with just a shallow well on top to add a half figure if you wanted. At any rate, the kit is a lot of work and pretty poor. I would not go out of my way to buy or build one.
Last edited by David Nickels on May 15th, 2012, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVID NICKELS