Vallejo Surface primer.

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Vallejo Surface primer.

November 27th, 2011, 2:01 pm #1

I recently purchased this product for the first time. The instructions say to use it straight from the bottle, but it's too thick and causes spattering when sprayed through my Iwata HP-CH. Can anyone tell me what it can thinned with please? Is ordinary distilled water OK?
Thanks.
John Bryce.

November 27th, 2011, 2:30 pm #2

I tried the Vallejo OD primer. Worked fine through my airbrushes and a nozzle as low as .020. Ran my air pressure around 17 psi. Actually loved the material, nice eaven coat.

I know it was not the answer you wanted....you may want to check their site, but I am sure the primer was made to go from the jar to the airbursh...it may require an experiment on your part.

Rounds Complete!!

November 27th, 2011, 3:43 pm #3

If you are getting spattering, sounds like you need to up your pressure a bit.

Use these unthinned out of the bottle with no trouble at all.

November 27th, 2011, 5:57 pm #4

I recently purchased this product for the first time. The instructions say to use it straight from the bottle, but it's too thick and causes spattering when sprayed through my Iwata HP-CH. Can anyone tell me what it can thinned with please? Is ordinary distilled water OK?
Thanks.
John Bryce.
I find a few drops of Liquitex Flow Aid stirred in help with the spraying of Vallejo paints no end and certainly with there primer range. You should be able to pick it up from any decent art store or on line

HTH

Keith

November 27th, 2011, 6:53 pm #5

Thanks.
John Bryce.
Thanks for all the responses. I had the airbrush set around 20psi. I'll give it another go with a slightly higher setting.
Cheers,
John.

November 28th, 2011, 11:28 pm #6

Thanks.
John Bryce.
I have had no problems with the Grey or Russian green so far.

Is it possible that you recently cleaned your airbrush with Tamiya thinner.
That stuff can have a reaction with the Vallejo which could be causing your splatter.
I found that whenever I plan on using Vallejo paint I run some water through my airbrush first.
I try to run my airbrush at less the 20psi.

Greg

November 29th, 2011, 3:55 pm #7

No, I didn't use Tamiya thinner, but what I had done was to run some Medea Airbrush Cleaner through just prior to using the grey primer. Maybe it had the same effect.
Thanks,
John.

November 30th, 2011, 1:25 pm #8

Thanks.
John Bryce.
Hi,

I haven't had any issues with the primer using the Iwata HP-C+ or badger Velocity with a smaller nozzle.

When I'm thinning my Vallejo stuff these days I like to use their glaze medium. It really helps getting things flowing through the airbrush, in particular when painting very very thin lines using Vallejo air - but at the same time it doesn't seem to kill the covering ability of the paint. I think it would probably help you get the primer through as well.

This video shows it in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefQ07lQD-4

I recommend it highly - although it IS an additional expense, I certainly won't be without it from now on particularly when painting camouflage or other "one chance to get it right" paint tasks.