Vallejo Putty

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Vallejo Putty

July 3rd, 2017, 3:48 pm #1

New to me, I tried Vallejo putty for the first time the other day and i was very very impressed.
The putty contains marble dust so dries very hard, wet sands beautifully and I can clean up any overage with a damp tissue.
I have seen no signs of shrinkage or drop out. I have never ueed a putty that feathers so beautifully.
And it's cheap too!
Gord

April 23rd, 2018, 6:17 pm #2

Agreed, also try Perfect Plastic Putty, behaves the same way. I love how you can clean up the excess for either with just a wet finger. It also works extremely well with Ammo's One Shot primer, both sand very nicely, and you can layer one over the other until you are satisfied with no issues (let each layer dry thoroughly of course). No more Squadron or Mr. Disolved Putty for me anymore!

April 25th, 2018, 10:07 pm #3

Good advice.  Must try some.  Squadron putties were my "go to" fillers, but the later formula with the less aggressive solvent is nowhere near as good.  I find it doesn't bond well, dries too quickly, doesn't fill fine gaps as well and falls out.  I've tried Perfect Putty and I must admit I wasn't overly impressed with that either.

April 30th, 2018, 3:17 am #4

Did you mean the Vallejo putty in the dropper bottle or in the metal tube?  I now recall that I tried the tube variety and thought it to be utter rubbish: binned it.  I haven't tried the bottle type, which seems to be a different composition.  I will get some and try it.  Lately I've been using AK Interactive's putty.

May 15th, 2018, 2:20 am #5

Hi
Vallejo's is good.  Perfect Putty is good too, but sadly drying out in the tube.  However I fear Vallejo is also going that way.  ALL fillers seem to have this prob, esp incl Greenstuff.

Perhaps I don't use them fast enough !  Shelf life when opened isn't great.

Cheers
Andrew