Vallejo Model Color with Tamiya acrylic thinners

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Vallejo Model Color with Tamiya acrylic thinners

July 26th, 2008, 9:36 am #1

Hi,
At last took the plunge and purchased an airbrush and now trying to make use of what I have available to me before splashing any more cash.

I have a load of Vallejo Model Color paints and an unused bottle of Tamiya XF-20a acrylic thinner.

I am assuming it is perfectly ok to mix the two but was wondering if anyone had experience of doing so what the results were?

What kind of ratio paint to thinners should I be looking at as a starting point?

Many thanks as always for any guidance.

Mark.

July 26th, 2008, 9:41 am #2

I have used the Tamiya thinner with the white lid to thin it just fine. I generally thin it with 80- 20 paint to thinner. However, some of there paint seems a little thicker and I have went to 60-40 on it. De-natured Alchol (sorry about the spelling) also works fine.

July 26th, 2008, 5:19 pm #3

Thanks so much for the reply Scot.....exactly the info I was looking for!

Cheers, Mark.

July 27th, 2008, 1:59 am #4

Hi,
At last took the plunge and purchased an airbrush and now trying to make use of what I have available to me before splashing any more cash.

I have a load of Vallejo Model Color paints and an unused bottle of Tamiya XF-20a acrylic thinner.

I am assuming it is perfectly ok to mix the two but was wondering if anyone had experience of doing so what the results were?

What kind of ratio paint to thinners should I be looking at as a starting point?

Many thanks as always for any guidance.

Mark.
There have been many cases mentioned in these forums about using non-Vallejo thinners with Vallejo paints and the problems people have had. Do a search on "Vallejo" and check them out.

Rick Nelson

"Most men would rather die than think, most of them do." Bertrand Russell

July 28th, 2008, 9:50 am #5

Thanks for that heads up Rick....will do a search and also try it out for myself...the logical way to do it I suppose!!.

Regards, Mark.

July 28th, 2008, 1:20 pm #6

There have been many cases mentioned in these forums about using non-Vallejo thinners with Vallejo paints and the problems people have had. Do a search on "Vallejo" and check them out.

Rick Nelson

"Most men would rather die than think, most of them do." Bertrand Russell
But I know using Tamiya thinner to thin out Vallejo paint for brush painting and the Tamiya thinner pretty much destroys the great ability of Vallejo paint of it's covering ability, ends up pretty much being like trying to brush paint Tamiya paint!

If you don't want to use Vallejo thinner, get yourself some distilled water. But as with any paint, the thinner that was designed for it is always the best product for it.