Vallejo Model Air paints

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Vallejo Model Air paints

January 6th, 2012, 12:55 pm #1

After having given Vallejo Model Air paint another go in my airbrushes I am convinced it may be my main line paint now. {I used Tamiya exclusively} I thinned with just distilled water and the results were great! This will reduce my hobby expenditure by not having to buy expensive thinners.

So what in your opinion are the closest match to the German three color cammo in the Vallejo Model Air line of paints?

{I feel that the Vallejo Model Air 71.025 Dark Yellow is too green for Panzer Yellow} J.M.O.

Tell me your preferences. Doing a thread search on this topic did not yeild any NEW info on V.M.A. since it has been reformulated.

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"

January 6th, 2012, 4:25 pm #2

Hi Frank!
From the Model Air-colors i would suggest:
71.092 medium green for RAL6003
71.041 tank brown for RAL8017

What comes as close as possible for a dark yellow from 1943 is Game Color:
72.061 khaki

Hope it helps!

Best regards!

January 6th, 2012, 7:36 pm #3

After having given Vallejo Model Air paint another go in my airbrushes I am convinced it may be my main line paint now. {I used Tamiya exclusively} I thinned with just distilled water and the results were great! This will reduce my hobby expenditure by not having to buy expensive thinners.

So what in your opinion are the closest match to the German three color cammo in the Vallejo Model Air line of paints?

{I feel that the Vallejo Model Air 71.025 Dark Yellow is too green for Panzer Yellow} J.M.O.

Tell me your preferences. Doing a thread search on this topic did not yeild any NEW info on V.M.A. since it has been reformulated.

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
FRANK ,

I too have found love for Vallejo Model Air !! Instead of distilled water ( for Me th distilled water seems to dry it out a bit too much ) I'll add some of Their Thinner to th mix, but very little as th Model Air is thinned already. Depending on psi & how tight of a pattern you wanna shoot, will determine how thin you want it. At least that's what I've found works for Me.

When I go to shoot a German Tri-Tone I'll start with Vallejo's Dark Yellow Primer as a base coat & hight light/fade with a mix of Dark Yellow + German Camo Beige + thinner . For Green I'll use Their Model Air Dark Green & Highlight th same with a touch of German Camo Beige. Their Model Air Tank Brown gets th call for th Red-Brown , again highlighting a mix of German Camo Beige.

Now with all of this you may find that you get a lil' build up of paint on th tip of th needle. That's why I keep a #0 brush handy & dip it into some Distilled Water & brush over th tip when it get's a lil' bit of build up on it & then you are clear & ready for take off !!

Here's a shot of a Tiger that I recently painted , just to give ya a picture of what I'm talkin' about

[/IMG]

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

January 8th, 2012, 2:27 am #4

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
I accidentally grabbed a diluted bottle of Medea airbrush bleaker instead if distiller water to Sillitoe some paint....
And it worked great!
I recommend looking at the ak interactive modulation sets, they are Vallejo paints.
The colors are superb!

January 9th, 2012, 5:03 pm #5

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
The Vallejo Model Air Dark Yellow is waaaay too dark and too green in my opinion for an accurate Dunkelgelb, straight out of the bottle. Since Vallejo uses the eye dropper bottles, I was hoping to find a better, more lightened "Dunkelgelb" straight out of the bottle, so I can get the same color every time rather than having to add a lighter color to it in my airbrush cup. Anybody use another Model Air color that is lighter to take into account the weathering process that always darkens it up? so many Model Air colors out there, there has to be a better color. Like Frank I use to use Tamiya's Dark Yellow with about 30% to 40% white added to it.