Vallejo Model Air, Has anyone got it to work?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Vallejo Model Air, Has anyone got it to work?

Charles Kelley
Charles Kelley

June 6th, 2004, 11:59 pm #1

Hello.

Sitting here with three bottles of Vallejos Model Air colors. Been hearing nothing but bad about them. Has anyone gotten them to work or am I sitting with three bottles of pooh-pooh?

all the best

Charles

(someone who wont put them in his airbrush untill I know Im not screwing things up)

David Nickels
David Nickels

June 7th, 2004, 12:40 pm #2

I use alot of pressure and make sure it is thin enough. I don't think I have ever found a paint that can be sprayed OOTJ.

June 8th, 2004, 11:12 am #3

Hello.

Sitting here with three bottles of Vallejos Model Air colors. Been hearing nothing but bad about them. Has anyone gotten them to work or am I sitting with three bottles of pooh-pooh?

all the best

Charles

(someone who wont put them in his airbrush untill I know Im not screwing things up)
I just use there line of Model Color and thin with distilled
water, and have no problem. I've used there Air Color and thin
it down with distilled water but not as much as Model Color and
had mixed results. But nothing major, just airbrush on with thin
coats or layers of paint.

Regards,

Kevin

Lee Lloyd
Lee Lloyd

June 9th, 2004, 8:48 am #4

Hello.

all the best

Charles

I have used the Model Air with nothing added at all - the paint was straight from the bottle. I used an Aztec A480 and blew the paint at never more than 10psi at any time. This put the paint on very thinly indeed and took about 2 hours work to layer up each coat. It went on perfectly smooth and dried very quickly indeed.

The only problem I had was every so often the paint would dry at the nozzle of the airbrush. A quick wipe of with a paintbrush soaked in water cleaned everything up. I have to say I loved this paint and it will be the only thing I use in the future .. and no Vallejo aren't paying me to say this! 8-)

Lee

Charles Kelley
Charles Kelley

June 9th, 2004, 2:56 pm #5

Thank you all for your input on the paint. Lee Your tank looks great and I will be sure to try the model air out!

Seems that with a little TLC it works like a charm (Did for you, no doubt!)

Charles

Mig Jimenez
Mig Jimenez

June 11th, 2004, 8:48 am #6

I have used the Model Air with nothing added at all - the paint was straight from the bottle. I used an Aztec A480 and blew the paint at never more than 10psi at any time. This put the paint on very thinly indeed and took about 2 hours work to layer up each coat. It went on perfectly smooth and dried very quickly indeed.

The only problem I had was every so often the paint would dry at the nozzle of the airbrush. A quick wipe of with a paintbrush soaked in water cleaned everything up. I have to say I loved this paint and it will be the only thing I use in the future .. and no Vallejo aren't paying me to say this! 8-)

Lee

Hi guys.

Usually I make the Model Air test for Vallejo company, and I have find this way for to work. Actually I am very happy with this kind of paints, specially because the colors and variety.

I work with a low pressure...in the same way than with Tamiya. I know that the color is dry off fastly in the front of the airbrush, but this NOT means that you must work with high pressure for keep it clean. For keep it clean, we must use a cotton cloth for clean it each few time while we are spraying. Add a bit of alcohol or Vallejo cleaner in the cloth and it will clean better.
I recomend you to remove the first ring in your airbrush (then, the needle will be visible). Working in this way is better for to clean this part and better for make accurate camuflages.

Even if you can use directly from the bottle the Model Air, I recomend you to mix it always with a 40 % of Vallejo thinner and a 10% of satin or glossy varnish. It improve the qualities of the paint and it reatrd the drying of paint in the airbrush.

But, sincerily, I never recomend you to use water or alcohol as THINNER because those destroy the propierties of the color. Those liquids destroy the acrylic aglutinant propierties and you will find many problems when you want to paint with it.

All the best

MIG

PS: Lee...I must congratule you because your Sherman DD is very very nice and realistic. You sent me a meail long time ago, but was not a oportunity for reply you on time. But sinc3erily, your sherman is very nice. I like it!

Brandon Hopkins
Brandon Hopkins

June 12th, 2004, 2:59 am #7

Hello.

all the best

Charles

I just got a bottle of flat clear to cover some Tamiya painted parts. I can only seem to get a few sprays in before my needle (I have an Iwata Eclipse) gets coated in goop and can't spray anymore, requiring me to remove it and clean it before I can go on. Also after a time, some bits of dried paint will shoot out from the tip and get on the model.

As far as thinning clear varnish, would it weaken the paint? I need it to be durable and scratch resistant since this particular project i'm working on has some moveable parts.

Brandon Hopkins
Brandon Hopkins

June 13th, 2004, 8:21 am #8

I tried some slow drying additive for acrylics. I tried diluting it with water, but i've come to the conclusion that Vallejo Model Air just sucks...

Martin Wilson
Martin Wilson

June 14th, 2004, 1:19 pm #9

listened to the advice given above by MiG???
Do as he suggests and all will be well. I use Valeejos and won't use anything else!

Kevin McNichols
Kevin McNichols

June 15th, 2004, 7:34 pm #10

Hello.

all the best

Charles

I have some model air colors but I have a lot more of their regular acrlyic paints.
Is it possible to thinn these with velejo airbrush thinner and still use them?
Thanks.