Vallejo match for RAL 1001 Elfenbein

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Vallejo match for RAL 1001 Elfenbein

August 2nd, 2012, 10:08 pm #1

I am looking for a Vallejo match (or near match) for RAL 1001 Elfenbein. Some suggest #976 Buff. I am wondering what others may think.

Thanks

Dave Schemel

Improving my modeling one mistake at a time.

www.justplanestuff.net

August 3rd, 2012, 3:06 am #2

DAVID,

I've been using Tamiya for a while, but since I'm converting over to Vallejo ..... I'd say either a lightened mix of German Camo Beige ..... AK Interactive just came out with a New German Interior color ... I think I might try that !!

- http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?ac ... 7683&idc=3

- http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?ac ... 7697&idc=3

For th simple fact that It's a Color specific for a German Interior !!

Jus My $.02

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

August 3rd, 2012, 6:21 am #3

I am looking for a Vallejo match (or near match) for RAL 1001 Elfenbein. Some suggest #976 Buff. I am wondering what others may think.

Thanks

Dave Schemel

www.justplanestuff.net
Hi,

In my experience the best method is to use white and then use filters. For example a light yellow filter will give the initial change in tone and a red brown filter gives the finnishing touch. If you start from the right elfenbein colour it is more difficult to get a nice finnish.

Regards,

Jari

August 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm #4

DAVID,

I've been using Tamiya for a while, but since I'm converting over to Vallejo ..... I'd say either a lightened mix of German Camo Beige ..... AK Interactive just came out with a New German Interior color ... I think I might try that !!

- http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?ac ... 7683&idc=3

- http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?ac ... 7697&idc=3

For th simple fact that It's a Color specific for a German Interior !!

Jus My $.02

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???
Thanks

Dave Schemel

www.justplanestuff.net

August 3rd, 2012, 3:28 pm #5

Hi,

In my experience the best method is to use white and then use filters. For example a light yellow filter will give the initial change in tone and a red brown filter gives the finnishing touch. If you start from the right elfenbein colour it is more difficult to get a nice finnish.

Regards,

Jari
Thanks

Dave Schemel

www.justplanestuff.net

August 3rd, 2012, 9:24 pm #6

Thanks

Dave Schemel

www.justplanestuff.net
I forget which one - they make a bunch. But it works well and can be lightened if needed
DAVID NICKELS

August 5th, 2012, 4:32 pm #7

Thanks

Dave Schemel

www.justplanestuff.net
That, and Revell Aqua Color 36314 Beige, are almost dead ringers when compared to the wartime RAL color chip:

I prefer the Revell paint only because it is semigloss out of the tub.

First, use Polly Scale U.S. Sand ANA 616 (which can be purchased at Micro Mark for $5.25 per 1 oz. bottle) as a base coat. This particular color is a good match for RAL 1002, which was only used as a primer coat underneath Elfenbein. Then, spray a single, thin coat of Vallejo 976. You'll then need to shoot some clear semigloss on top of that in order to impart the aforementioned semigloss sheen.

August 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm #8

nt
DAVID NICKELS

August 5th, 2012, 6:24 pm #9

I bought numerous tins of the Revell enamels over 30 years ago, when I was stationed in FRG. I ordered the acrylics from Models4Sale, in the U.K., fairly recently.

I only mentioned my preference for the Revell paint because it's already SG. The Vallejo is good. It just needs an overcoat.