Valentine Miniart/AFV Club same mold?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Valentine Miniart/AFV Club same mold?

June 26th, 2012, 2:40 am #1

Is AFV Club using the Miniart molds for their Valentines?

Owen

June 26th, 2012, 2:55 am #2

...they are not the same molds. Take a look at Terry Ashley's comparison review on Perth. It would seem AFV Club's version is a bit more accurate for some of the shapes on the engine decking, as well as wheel size.

That's not to say the Miniart version isn't a nice kit; it is, as I've built their MKIV. Currently, it's the only game in town for the 3 man turreted version.

HTH,

Mike

June 26th, 2012, 2:58 am #3

Is AFV Club using the Miniart molds for their Valentines?

Owen
Aside from the fact that they are intended to represent the same type of vehicle, they have very little in common with each other. Each has a few very minor accuracy issues. the AFV Club kit is perhaps a slightly easier build and the Miniart kit is perhaps slightly more detailed. Both are excellent kits.

Cheers,
Roy

June 26th, 2012, 4:06 am #4

I think you might have that switched around Roy: I have both and the miniart kit is definitely simpler, and the AFV club kit both more detailed and a lot sharper in detail.

Personally I'll be sticking with AFV Club for valentines now I have bought both and compared them, but thats a personal choice of course

Chris

(edited to erase evidence of fat fingered key mashing)
Last edited by ChrisDM on June 26th, 2012, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 10:16 am #5

is very good. I don't know about 100% accuracy (I know about the wheel size problem) but is still a very, very good kit, and I picked mine up from a Russian trader at the Telford show a year or so ago for just over 20 quid, so you cannae argue with that! I'm an old school modeller and have been building kits for more than 35 years, and compared to kits then, this is like light years ahead. I don't think people realise how lucky they are. Stevie.

June 26th, 2012, 1:20 pm #6

I'm not disputing that its a good kit Stevie, just that in my opinion, the AFV Club kit is the better of the two kits.

Saying one kit is better than another is not saying the other kit is therefore rubbish; just that out of two kits one is good and the other is better

I too am an 'old-school' modeller. in fact I have just put down some white styrene, a steel rule and a p cutter to type this; but what kind of modeller I am is irrelevant. For the the AFV kit pips the miniart kit. As I build british armour almost exclusively I will be building more valentines in the future. I chose the AFV kit to do that, but others may chose the miniart kit; the choice is no reflection on the modeller. Ans yes I do know how lucky we are to get so many new kits in british subjects; and that rarest of things the Panzies have had for ages; choice of kit too

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

June 26th, 2012, 3:09 pm #7

for the fast replys.

Owen