USMC M3A1 Stuart

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

USMC M3A1 Stuart

June 27th, 2012, 9:16 am #1

Howdy gang,
after building Axix stuff for most of my Modelling-life, the USMC bug bit me after watching "The Pacific" again and reading "Helmet for my pillow" and "With the old breed".
Well, I started a M4A2 (not quite correct I got to say, since I used the Tasca MK.III, but it´s fun) and decided to start a M3A1 afterwards.
Since I decided to build "The Pay Off" on Bougainville in ´43, and my knowledge regarding USMC-Pacific stuff is quite limited (ordered a couple of books though), I could need some advice.
I will use the Academy kit, with MR conversion for the rounded back plate plus AFV suspension and Bronco tracks as well as the Eduard etched set.
After looking at the two pics I could find of the tank (and "Painintheass"), is there anything I need to be aware of? I´m aware of the fact that I need to delete several rivest around the sides, back and front.

I see that the tanks are carrying drums for spare fuel, so would those have been carried all the time or were they only in use when the tanks weren´t in combat? It seems to me as if the turret wouldn´t have been able to turn all around with the tanks in place and it might have been not the safest thing to carry around a Drum with fuel during a firefight.
Personally, I would like to leave them off since the Stuart just looks nicer without them in place plus the Academy parts look quite different. From the pics it looks like the tanks were flexible, not metal.

Were the two tanks fueled with Diesel or Gasoline?

Would the firing ports for the .30 cals in the Sponsons have been plated over? MR gives me the option of two choices, plated over or the deleted firing ports.

Are the Decals Academy gives us correct? I remember hearing about the turret numbers being the wrong colour, but I´m not sure about that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers
Markus

June 27th, 2012, 2:31 pm #2

Markus,

I sent you an e-mail with a photo attached I hope will help you.

Cheers,
Rob

June 27th, 2012, 8:04 pm #3

Howdy gang,
after building Axix stuff for most of my Modelling-life, the USMC bug bit me after watching "The Pacific" again and reading "Helmet for my pillow" and "With the old breed".
Well, I started a M4A2 (not quite correct I got to say, since I used the Tasca MK.III, but it´s fun) and decided to start a M3A1 afterwards.
Since I decided to build "The Pay Off" on Bougainville in ´43, and my knowledge regarding USMC-Pacific stuff is quite limited (ordered a couple of books though), I could need some advice.
I will use the Academy kit, with MR conversion for the rounded back plate plus AFV suspension and Bronco tracks as well as the Eduard etched set.
After looking at the two pics I could find of the tank (and "Painintheass"), is there anything I need to be aware of? I´m aware of the fact that I need to delete several rivest around the sides, back and front.

I see that the tanks are carrying drums for spare fuel, so would those have been carried all the time or were they only in use when the tanks weren´t in combat? It seems to me as if the turret wouldn´t have been able to turn all around with the tanks in place and it might have been not the safest thing to carry around a Drum with fuel during a firefight.
Personally, I would like to leave them off since the Stuart just looks nicer without them in place plus the Academy parts look quite different. From the pics it looks like the tanks were flexible, not metal.

Would the firing ports for the .30 cals in the Sponsons have been plated over? MR gives me the option of two choices, plated over or the deleted firing ports.

Are the Decals Academy gives us correct? I remember hearing about the turret numbers being the wrong colour, but I´m not sure about that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers
Markus
I happen to be working on a model of the Pay Off right now, and have researched a few of your questions for my project already. The decals for Painintheass are the ones that are the wrong color, they should be red on white instead of white on red. The decals for the Pay Off seem to be correct, but the problem is that academy only gives you two of the white squares with the 5 on them, whereas photos clearly show that this was painted on the turret in four spots, not two.

The fuel drums would have been dropped prior to combat, and they were some sort of rubber, not at all like the ones provided in the Academy kit. I have modified my by sanding them smooth, and am using the Eduard set for the straps.

The .30 cals in the sponsons were removed and the ports plated over.

The other modification that I am making is that if you look closely at the photos of the Payoff, it is clear that it had grousers installed. I am using the Voyager grouser kit, which is a little bit insane, as each grouser is made up of six separate parts.

Feel free to email direct if you have any other questions.

Aaron

June 28th, 2012, 12:27 pm #4

Howdy gang,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers
Markus
This might be "Pain-in-the-***"

And this Might be "the Pay Off"

A little different than what they looked like after the battle.
Go to Cricital Past and search for 65675077481.
Bob

June 28th, 2012, 1:40 pm #5

Markus,

I sent you an e-mail with a photo attached I hope will help you.

Cheers,
Rob
... I already told you via E-Mail, but once again here:
Thanks a lot for your great help!!!

Cheers
Markus

June 28th, 2012, 1:46 pm #6

I happen to be working on a model of the Pay Off right now, and have researched a few of your questions for my project already. The decals for Painintheass are the ones that are the wrong color, they should be red on white instead of white on red. The decals for the Pay Off seem to be correct, but the problem is that academy only gives you two of the white squares with the 5 on them, whereas photos clearly show that this was painted on the turret in four spots, not two.

The fuel drums would have been dropped prior to combat, and they were some sort of rubber, not at all like the ones provided in the Academy kit. I have modified my by sanding them smooth, and am using the Eduard set for the straps.

The .30 cals in the sponsons were removed and the ports plated over.

The other modification that I am making is that if you look closely at the photos of the Payoff, it is clear that it had grousers installed. I am using the Voyager grouser kit, which is a little bit insane, as each grouser is made up of six separate parts.

Feel free to email direct if you have any other questions.

Aaron
...thanks a lot!
Cool to hear you are researching the same subject!
I´m looking forward to your build!
The Decals shouldn´t be a problem, I got the kit twice since I want to build some more Stuarts .
I´ll leave the Drums off on my build, since I like the look of them without those in place more.
Are you sure about the plated over openings for the sponson MGs? If I look at the pic on Page 21 in Concord 7004 "Tank battles of the Pacific", it appears as if "The Pay Off" was one of the Stuarts on which the MGs were already deleted.
Good catch about the grousers! I didn´t see them yet! I might try to get the Voyager-Set as well. Seems like this one won´t be the easy build I was hoping for... .

Cheers
Markus

June 28th, 2012, 1:49 pm #7

This might be "Pain-in-the-***"

And this Might be "the Pay Off"

A little different than what they looked like after the battle.
Go to Cricital Past and search for 65675077481.
Bob
...thanks a lot!
These are great pics and I´ll rush over to Critical Past later today!

Cheers
Markus

June 28th, 2012, 6:56 pm #8

...thanks a lot!
Cool to hear you are researching the same subject!
I´m looking forward to your build!
The Decals shouldn´t be a problem, I got the kit twice since I want to build some more Stuarts .
I´ll leave the Drums off on my build, since I like the look of them without those in place more.
Are you sure about the plated over openings for the sponson MGs? If I look at the pic on Page 21 in Concord 7004 "Tank battles of the Pacific", it appears as if "The Pay Off" was one of the Stuarts on which the MGs were already deleted.
Good catch about the grousers! I didn´t see them yet! I might try to get the Voyager-Set as well. Seems like this one won´t be the easy build I was hoping for... .

Cheers
Markus
>>I´ll leave the Drums off on my build, since I like the look of them without those in place more.

Don't forget. When you leave off the fuel drums, the racks they sat in, the straps and the openning in the fuel cap will still be there.

HTH

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

June 28th, 2012, 7:27 pm #9

...thanks a lot for the pics, these are great!!!
I was aware of the fittings for them and planned to add them. Your pics are exactly what I need to Detail them even further.
While I have the Eduard-Set for the Stuart, it lacks in some Details. It would be awesome if some other company would make a Detailset for it.

Cheers
Markus

June 30th, 2012, 3:53 pm #10

There are 3 or 4 companies that produce aftermarket fuel tanks. Do any of them come close to reproducing that complicated-looking set of brackets, hoses and cables?