USMC M1114 Colour

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

USMC M1114 Colour

July 7th, 2012, 11:26 am #1

Hello all,

In the near future I will building the Bronco M1114 as a USMC vehicle,I know I need to delete the M7 Grenade launchers. My question is regarding the colour, when did these vehicles arrive in painted in CARC tan, I am guessing that the majority of vehicles simply had a tan repaint over the NATO tri colour scheme and that the interior remained green.

I have found the answer regarding markings so that bit of the puzzle has been solved, it's just the interior/exterior colours to be solved.

Regards

Brian

First In Last Out - Follow the Sapper!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

July 7th, 2012, 1:53 pm #2

Howdy Brian, the USMC began fielding the M1114s in late 2004(FY 2005). The vehicles came from the manufacturer in CARC Sand. The interiors are green. Track down a copy of Tamiya Model Magazine International issue 180, October 2010. There is a walk around of a USMC M1114 with the MCATS(FY 2006) installed. Here is a link to the article at Brent Sauer's hmmwvinscale websitehttp://www.hmmwvinscale.com/tamiyamodelmagazine.htm.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on July 7th, 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2012, 4:40 pm #3

Hi Mike,

When I posted the question I pretty much knew that you would have the answer. But it was good manners to post it to a wider audience. I have checked my back issues for that copy and as a result I'll squint at Brent's web site!

A quick question, how hard wearing was the interior paint, I know that in our Land Rovers the paint would scuff in the footwells down to the alloy over time, generally we never repainted them either.

Semper Fi

Brian

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Last edited by Brian O’Donoghue on July 7th, 2012, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2012, 7:07 pm #4

Hello Brian...

If you want to give me your email address, I would be happy to email you the scans of Mikes article. Its good information and images which are hard to come by.

In regards to the interior paint, it is the same paint as what is used on the exterior. Its durable.

July 7th, 2012, 7:30 pm #5

Email sent,

Thank you for the info regarding the interior paint, I've read about the durability of CARC and always wondered about its resiliance in high wear areas.

Cheers

Brian

July 7th, 2012, 10:32 pm #6

Hi Mike,

When I posted the question I pretty much knew that you would have the answer. But it was good manners to post it to a wider audience. I have checked my back issues for that copy and as a result I'll squint at Brent's web site!

A quick question, how hard wearing was the interior paint, I know that in our Land Rovers the paint would scuff in the footwells down to the alloy over time, generally we never repainted them either.

Semper Fi

Brian

Howdy Brian, no worries as I agree that throwing the question out to the masses is the best route to take in order to get an answer. The floor boards are covered with a green thermal/acoustic padded matting when new. Once these wear out and the operators rip the ragged pieces out it is down to the CARC which as Brent says is quite durable. Most crews that I know put a layer of sand bags down just because. Happy USMC modeling!
Last edited by Michael Mummey on July 7th, 2012, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2012, 6:50 pm #7

Brother Mike,

Great info...I was about to ask some of the similar questions...but the big question is what is the correct scale tan CARC for USMC vehicles? And, if it is a formula, what does that look like for Tamiya, vallejo or Acryl???

Inquiring minds...

Sempers...
Pat

July 8th, 2012, 7:27 pm #8

Howdy Pat, there are many shades of CARC Sand out there. In the M1114 article that Brent has posted on his site it is pointed out in the caption that the turret and vehicle are different hues yet painted with the same milspec paint by different manufacturers. I am away from my photos at the moment but I also have a side by side shot of two fresh rebuilt tanks from the same MCLB Depot that differ in shade. Whatever mix brother Dave used on his Jarhead Abrams "4 Play" build featured in MMIR way back when was nutz on. The Sand colors called out in the instructions of the kits are a good start. Once you get all that exotic weathering going on top of things it changes anyway.

July 8th, 2012, 8:36 pm #9

N/T

July 9th, 2012, 8:58 pm #10

Got it. nt