US 105mm howitzers

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

US 105mm howitzers

Karl Horvat
Karl Horvat

January 23rd, 2002, 10:43 am #1

Hello all,
Were the US 105s of World War 2 different from those issued post-war, and used in Korea and Vietnam?
I have seen WW2 pictures with a single style gun shield, and others,(presumably post-war) with a double shield style. With the double shield, the smaller shield seems to move from side to side as the gun traverses, while the larger shield remains fixed in place. With the single shield, I assume the whole piece traverses with the gun barrel from side to side. What I need to know is, was the double shielded type US 105 howitzer used in WW2?
I know this isn't an armour question, but the gun will be used with armour on a Pacific diorama.
Thanks in advance,
Karl Horvat

Bob Kerr
Bob Kerr

January 24th, 2002, 1:07 am #2

The M2 105mm howitzer remained virtually unchanged from about 1940 when it entered service until the U.S. Army got rid of the last ones in the late 1980s. Yes, it is the same gun you see in pictures from Korea and Vietnam. I believe the double gun shield was introduced as a standard in late 1943.

Bob

George Proulx
George Proulx

January 24th, 2002, 5:23 am #3

Hello all,
Were the US 105s of World War 2 different from those issued post-war, and used in Korea and Vietnam?
I have seen WW2 pictures with a single style gun shield, and others,(presumably post-war) with a double shield style. With the double shield, the smaller shield seems to move from side to side as the gun traverses, while the larger shield remains fixed in place. With the single shield, I assume the whole piece traverses with the gun barrel from side to side. What I need to know is, was the double shielded type US 105 howitzer used in WW2?
I know this isn't an armour question, but the gun will be used with armour on a Pacific diorama.
Thanks in advance,
Karl Horvat
My outfit (11th Marines) used the M2 105's in Vietnam in 1967/68. They of course had the double shields. The differences between them and WWII pieces were hardly noticable (optics, phone box on the trail...) I should mention however that if you intend to depict your howitzer either in or being unloaded from a DUKW, you will need to mount standard truck tires and wheels instead of the usual combat rims and omni-directional tires. 105's would not fit between the DUKW sidewalls with the wider combat rims mounted. regards, George

January 24th, 2002, 10:10 pm #4

...is anyone familiar with any publications (book, web, or otherwise) with photos of these 105's in action on the islands? I am having a rough time finding any documentation.

Thanks for your imput.