Upgraded T-54/55 question

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Upgraded T-54/55 question

May 2nd, 2012, 1:05 am #1

From what I've read the T54/55's are the most produced tanks in history, my question is, since there are so many still in service have the Russians, Israelis or anyone else come up with any sort of upgrade kits for these tanks such as new engines, armor and armament to increase their chances of survivability in a modern battlefield?

May 2nd, 2012, 5:33 am #2

Blake - There are hundreds of updates and modified versions of the T54 and 55 variants - as well as hundreds of books and internet sites on the subject. Just about every defence company in the ex Warsaw Pact produces an upgrade 'pack' and nearly all Middle Eastern and African counties who bought them did their own upgrades. A good and simple starting point is to look at Tamiyas recently released 'Enigma' to see an upgrade designed to improve surviveability.

May 3rd, 2012, 2:55 am #3

From what I've read the T54/55's are the most produced tanks in history, my question is, since there are so many still in service have the Russians, Israelis or anyone else come up with any sort of upgrade kits for these tanks such as new engines, armor and armament to increase their chances of survivability in a modern battlefield?
Pick up Issue 74 of Model Military International...it includes a very detailed article on the T-55 and the various upgrades and improvements.

May 4th, 2012, 12:45 am #4

Thanks Ian and Jason