Universal Carrier / small update and fig-problem

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Universal Carrier / small update and fig-problem

October 19th, 2009, 7:55 pm #1

Hi Friends,

here is a small update of my carrier. He's nearly finished now, only dirt and dust is missing.
I want to spend him a small vignette. But what is a vignette without a good fig.

AND that's my problem ! I'm not the best fig-painter and hope any of the fig-gurus here give me a helping hand ??
Perhaps, without some tricks a few good sized makro-pics of painted faces would be help ??!!??

Here is the fig:
In my opinion I could go on with the clothes but need more contrast to the face. Didn't do anything at the shoes and socks now.

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik

October 19th, 2009, 9:39 pm #2

model by now, impressive work with the weathering process. Only need a bit of contrast on your figure and that's all.

Congrats amigo.

October 19th, 2009, 10:10 pm #3

Hi Friends,

here is a small update of my carrier. He's nearly finished now, only dirt and dust is missing.
I want to spend him a small vignette. But what is a vignette without a good fig.

AND that's my problem ! I'm not the best fig-painter and hope any of the fig-gurus here give me a helping hand ??
Perhaps, without some tricks a few good sized makro-pics of painted faces would be help ??!!??

Here is the fig:
In my opinion I could go on with the clothes but need more contrast to the face. Didn't do anything at the shoes and socks now.

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik
Hi Erik,

your carrier is lovely.
Too bad that those tracks don't come in the Tamiya box.

About the figure. In relation to the carrier and to its size it has not enough contrast.
For visual help you can search here for posts from Luciano Rodriguez. He matches vehicles and figures extremely well.

Also here is a gallery of some 1/35 figures by master painter Jaume Ortiz:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... &artid=581

Sure they are bigger but show the meaning of strong contrasts well.

Your little man seems to miss the medium and deep shadows on the skin. If you paint with oils you could make a heavy wash with a medium shadow tone. Take off surplus oil colour with a dry brush afterwards.
After that has dried you could add the dark shadows in a kind of pinwashing technique.
The beret could use a big but not too strong highlight on top, by mixing black with a little skin tone.

The fabric areas actually look good to me. Its just about bringing up the rest.

October 20th, 2009, 7:11 am #4

Hi Friends,

Here is the fig:

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik
The UC is, as ever, excellent. I love the grain on the rifle stocks and the other details. the figure probably does need something more to the flesh tones. Try starting with a much darker base coat, easier to add highlights and then some much darker shadows under the bottom lip, sides of the nose etc. My faces always look a little two-dimensional compared to the work of figure painters, and I think it's because we're afraid to add dark shadows. Painters like Juame Ortiz and others add black for their final highlight.
David

October 20th, 2009, 8:09 am #5

Hi Friends,

Here is the fig:

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik
Hello

great build and paint job

I really like it

regards

eric

October 20th, 2009, 8:44 am #6

Hi Friends,

Here is the fig:

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik
hi Erik

the vehicle is impressive, I'll discuss is small but big on details.

Fig.

have if I can help, with enamel or acrylic paint ?
I use acrylics from vallejo,in some days I hope to put photos of some figures and explain better

For paint with acrylics we have to consider several things.
The base colour should not be very thick in order to not cover details and we always have to add a part of Tamiya X 21 Flat base to qualify colours always in the clothes or in everything that in reality is matte, we will not use it in human skin, leather, metals.
If we exceded the amoun of X 21 we notice that the colour have rest of withe from the product.
The rises for the light and the shadows are made with a more diluted colour as the basis have ,we get the brush wet and then dry the excess water on some cloth or paper kitchen, we can practise the correct dissolution by dry the brush in a sheet of paper and view how it paints.

for Flesh.
Base 876 Brown sand
Lights 815 Flesh tone
Shadows 814 Cadm.umber red

for clothes you can use
Base. 977 Desert yellow or 819 Iraqui sand
Lights 845 Sunny skintone
Shadows 921 English uniform

vallejo's web, are a small tutorials English and French http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

Xavier

October 20th, 2009, 5:48 pm #7

thanks for helping words and I'll try to realize them in a fast way. But also, for this fig I'm afraid if didn't get a soon result I add to much layers and will loose the details. In this case I have to accept it as she is and start a next one for next test. But will be follow your instructions.

Looks that we German guys aren't the best in painting figs

And thanks all other for the kindly words to my carrier. More will follow soon.

cheers Erik
Last edited by Erik-Helm on October 20th, 2009, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 20th, 2009, 6:42 pm #8

Quote:"Looks that we German guys aren't the best in painting figs"

Not yet :-D

Du kannst gern an meine emailadresse auf deutsch schreiben wenn Du weitere Fragen haben solltest.
Bemale seit langer Zeit Figuren 1/35 und größer und das auch ganz ordentlich. Hab nur noch nichts fertigbemaltes in 1/48 sonst hätte ich was gezeigt.

Manfred

October 21st, 2009, 1:17 am #9

Hi Friends,

Here is the fig:

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik
good luck with the figure

October 21st, 2009, 11:02 am #10

Hi Friends,

Here is the fig:

Guys, I need support

all best

Erik
Pretty!!

I particulary like the way you have weathered the vertical plates with dust. Close to perfection!