Unique Pz IV discussion.

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Unique Pz IV discussion.

February 13th, 2012, 2:40 am #1

Well now that I've lured you in, wondering if anyone has come across any more Pz chassis vehicles with reworked suspensions like the two that have turned up here recently. The Pz IV J and the Stug IV in Garland that both have mid/ G drivetrains and sprockets. I'm hoping there are more out there?
Also would like to again ask about any info on the Stugs that surrendered to the Russians on the Garland peninsula. John S.

February 13th, 2012, 6:32 am #2

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address

February 13th, 2012, 11:06 am #3

Well now that I've lured you in, wondering if anyone has come across any more Pz chassis vehicles with reworked suspensions like the two that have turned up here recently. The Pz IV J and the Stug IV in Garland that both have mid/ G drivetrains and sprockets. I'm hoping there are more out there?
Also would like to again ask about any info on the Stugs that surrendered to the Russians on the Garland peninsula. John S.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

February 13th, 2012, 2:50 pm #4

Have never noticed that before. I'm finding the mid style wheel covers are very common on late vehicles. John S.

February 13th, 2012, 2:51 pm #5

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address
N/T

February 13th, 2012, 3:31 pm #6

Hi John,

this here is probably the most well known Pz IV late which was refitted with the IV G drives and drive sprocket as it first had the normal late drive sprocket and final drives.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ndy.jpgXXX(remove the XXX at the end)
Earlier photos show this #802 from the 2.Pz.Div. with the normal late drives.

Regards,

Notger

February 13th, 2012, 5:18 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
..its a "standard" Jagdpanzer IV L/48 built in March/April '44.At that time the Jagdpanzer IV had the "normal" Pz.IV H sprockets but used roadwheels with cast hubcaps like the Pz.IV H during its early production phase. In the second photo I'm not sure if its just mud which leads to the interpretation that this is a Pz.IV Ausf. G sprocket.
This photo is well known . It shows a Jagdpanzer IV L/48 from the Panzer-Lehr-Division which was photographed after its capture by the British in Normandy.
Best wishes Markus
Last edited by Markus Tost on February 13th, 2012, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2012, 12:59 am #8

The lower photo of 313 certainly has had its drivetrain and sprockets replaced since the upper photo. Just like the Pz IV Notger posted. Just look at the dark color of the G sprocket. John S.
Note that the tracks are now also reversed. Which also points to suspension repair theory.
Last edited by stevensjs on February 14th, 2012, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.