Un question de géographie de Paris 1944

Forum Blindés francophone avec Antoine Puzo et Yann Jouault.

Un question de géographie de Paris 1944

May 14th, 2007, 10:23 pm #1

Ici sont deux photos de Paris à partir d'août 1944. Est-ce que n'importe qui connaîtrait l'endroit du photographe ?

Pardon me for my poor French, but I am trying to determine the location of the photographer who took these photos. He was on the south side of Paris looking north. One photo is looking north-west towards Tour Eiffel, and the other towards Montmartre. But I am not sure of the photographer's location. Any ideas?

Xavier Léna
Xavier Léna

May 15th, 2007, 6:47 am #2

Steve,

Google Earth could be a great help trying to locate this point.

I am not from Paris, but I would identify the two domes on the first picture as the Pantheon (on the left) and St Paul Church (on the right), with the July column (place de la Bastille) just on its right. Any Parisian around to confirm or infirm this ?
But in that case the first picture would have been taken in the east of Paris, looking west (towards Eiffel tower) ?

We first need to identify the church on the second picture, that would be of great help.

Pascal INTZOPOULOS
Pascal INTZOPOULOS

May 15th, 2007, 9:57 am #3

Hi all,
The church on the 2nd picture seems to be the Amercian church, avenue georges V, in the near vicinity of the Champs-Elysées.
Regards

Pascal INTZOPOULOS
Pascal INTZOPOULOS

May 15th, 2007, 9:59 am #4

Steve,

I am not from Paris, but I would identify the two domes on the first picture as the Pantheon (on the left) and St Paul Church (on the right), with the July column (place de la Bastille) just on its right. Any Parisian around to confirm or infirm this ?
But in that case the first picture would have been taken in the east of Paris, looking west (towards Eiffel tower) ?

We first need to identify the church on the second picture, that would be of great help.
Steve,
Where did you find those pictures, i have never seen them ?
Regards
pascal

claude Gillono
claude Gillono

May 15th, 2007, 10:00 am #5

Steve,

For the first photo.
Maybe the Colonne Vendôme and not the one on the Place de la Bastille? The statue on top is the clue to my eyes. With the Saint Augustin Church behind.
Could the print have been reversed?
Anyway the sun is to the left so we are probably looking roughly South (do you have an approximate hour when the photo was taken?) .
Tough questions it seems...

Yvan Garnier
Yvan Garnier

May 15th, 2007, 10:02 am #6

Ici sont deux photos de Paris à partir d'août 1944. Est-ce que n'importe qui connaîtrait l'endroit du photographe ?

Pardon me for my poor French, but I am trying to determine the location of the photographer who took these photos. He was on the south side of Paris looking north. One photo is looking north-west towards Tour Eiffel, and the other towards Montmartre. But I am not sure of the photographer's location. Any ideas?

Steve,

I leave near from Paris, and if I believe what I see, here is my proposal for the 1st picture :
it was taken from somewhere around Place de la Nation ( i.e. from SW )

What might be confusing is that Notre Dame is overwhelm by the smoke, but no doubt it must be there
and for sure we also do not see Montmartre on the right side

Last edited by LeXav on May 16th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pascal
pascal

May 15th, 2007, 10:09 am #7

Panthéon ou Invalides ?
Cdt

Yvan Garnier
Yvan Garnier

May 15th, 2007, 10:25 am #8

I would say more probably Pantheon by regarding the place where this picture was "probably" taken, Invalides would have been much more closer to the Tour Eiffel
So maybe again smoke explain that, and Invalides are hidden by the smoke left to the Tour Eiffel
Last edited by LeXav on May 16th, 2007, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xavier Léna
Xavier Léna

May 15th, 2007, 10:33 am #9

Hi all,
The church on the 2nd picture seems to be the Amercian church, avenue georges V, in the near vicinity of the Champs-Elysées.
Regards

Yvan Garnier
Yvan Garnier

May 15th, 2007, 10:33 am #10

For the first photo.
Maybe the Colonne Vendôme and not the one on the Place de la Bastille? The statue on top is the clue to my eyes. With the Saint Augustin Church behind.
Could the print have been reversed?
Anyway the sun is to the left so we are probably looking roughly South (do you have an approximate hour when the photo was taken?) .
Tough questions it seems...
If it is the Colonne Vendôme, then on the left side of the Tour Eiffel it should be the Invalides, and iy would mean the photo was taken from the NW looking toward S
What would be strange it that case is that sun is coming from left ( E ) but it does not seem to be early morning

But who knows ! was someone there in 1944 ? :p
Last edited by LeXav on May 16th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.