Type 2 Ka-Mi mysteries

Hosted by Yasu Mori, the Japanese Modelling discussion group covers questions to Japanese modellers, discussion of Japanese-themed modelling and the opportunity for Japanese modellers to discuss any aspects of AFV modelling in Japanese.

Type 2 Ka-Mi mysteries

June 30th, 2011, 5:32 pm #1

I've gotten in a sample of the Dragon Type 2 Ka-Mi and have been working on the kit for the past several evenings. It is a gorgeous kit that has lots of nice options and goes together very well.

While building the kit, I started doing some research, mainly on markings and colors. One mystery is its initial combat debut. One of the AJ Press books claims Guadalcanal, but I find this hard to believe as no photos have turned up. My assumption is Kwajalein, as there are definitely photos (the APG Ka-Mi came from Kwajalein as the test photos are dated May 1944) One of the Kwajalein mysteries is whether it saw any combat there. I can't find any evidence that they did.

The first confirmed combat use seems to be Saipan. I'm inclined to do my model as a Saipan vehicle as they did not use the pontoons. I have seen a few color photos of the Saipan tanks. They may be in grey, but the photos show tanks that have been burned out, so it is hard to tell.

The Ormoc Bay/Leyte tanks don't seem to have seen much combat, and I have not seen any color photos to give any hints about colors. The switch date for the change from grey to green base color is 1943, but it is a mystery whether any of the Ka-Mi deployed to the Pacific in 1944 were in green. Production was 82 in 1942 and 100 in 1943, so about half the production probably occured before the switch.

July 1st, 2011, 4:38 am #2

The debut of Ka-Mi is on Kwajalein. As you said, there is no record about their combat. Probably, they were destroyed by the bombardment before the American landing.

Early Ka-Mi on Kwajalein or Saipan were painted in grey. But, ones landing on Leyte were painted in green. Ka-Mi deployed on Shimushu were also painted in green.

Taki

July 1st, 2011, 11:40 am #3

I've gotten in a sample of the Dragon Type 2 Ka-Mi and have been working on the kit for the past several evenings. It is a gorgeous kit that has lots of nice options and goes together very well.

While building the kit, I started doing some research, mainly on markings and colors. One mystery is its initial combat debut. One of the AJ Press books claims Guadalcanal, but I find this hard to believe as no photos have turned up. My assumption is Kwajalein, as there are definitely photos (the APG Ka-Mi came from Kwajalein as the test photos are dated May 1944) One of the Kwajalein mysteries is whether it saw any combat there. I can't find any evidence that they did.

The first confirmed combat use seems to be Saipan. I'm inclined to do my model as a Saipan vehicle as they did not use the pontoons. I have seen a few color photos of the Saipan tanks. They may be in grey, but the photos show tanks that have been burned out, so it is hard to tell.

The Ormoc Bay/Leyte tanks don't seem to have seen much combat, and I have not seen any color photos to give any hints about colors. The switch date for the change from grey to green base color is 1943, but it is a mystery whether any of the Ka-Mi deployed to the Pacific in 1944 were in green. Production was 82 in 1942 and 100 in 1943, so about half the production probably occured before the switch.
... to seeing your Ka-Mi in the gallery, Steve!

I received mine as well this week, and I agree that it's a great and very detailed kit!

Does anybody know where I can find some infos/drawings/pics of the interior? I would like to add a bit since I will leave the hatches open.

Cheers,

Peter

July 1st, 2011, 12:23 pm #4

July 1st, 2011, 12:42 pm #5

Great photo...

What's that interior color? Was it originally white?

Cheers,
Peter

July 1st, 2011, 2:28 pm #6

Apparently, it is not white. I think that it is painted in the same color as the outside, i.e. grey.

The interior of Ka-Mi at Kubinka is painted in green. I think that it is original color. So, it is also the same color as the outside. Ka-Mi at Kubinka was captured on Shimushu and it was painted in green.

Taki
Last edited by Takizawa on July 1st, 2011, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 1st, 2011, 4:21 pm #7

I'm also a bit puzzled about the interior colors. The cut-away Ka-Mi at APG back in the late 1940's had a very light colored interior. I don't think it was repainted, as the Japanese (army)tanks that were cut open at the same time, and which I have been able to get inside, were not repainted by the museum. They were mostly white inside, but also had the asbestos insulation panels on many flat surfaces.

At least one of the turret shots I have seen suggests that the hatch interior was painted in a light color. However, other photos suggest it may have been the exterior color.

The interior views I have seen of the turret suggest that the gun assembly was dark (probably the usual artillery khaki/brown color) but some of the interior bits seem white.

July 2nd, 2011, 2:41 am #8

looks like it?

Luke

July 2nd, 2011, 4:58 am #9

I'm also a bit puzzled about the interior colors. The cut-away Ka-Mi at APG back in the late 1940's had a very light colored interior. I don't think it was repainted, as the Japanese (army)tanks that were cut open at the same time, and which I have been able to get inside, were not repainted by the museum. They were mostly white inside, but also had the asbestos insulation panels on many flat surfaces.

At least one of the turret shots I have seen suggests that the hatch interior was painted in a light color. However, other photos suggest it may have been the exterior color.

The interior views I have seen of the turret suggest that the gun assembly was dark (probably the usual artillery khaki/brown color) but some of the interior bits seem white.

The photo of Ka-Mi at APG is strange. The interior of the turret is very light, looks white. But, the engine room is darker than it. And the driver room is the darkest, even than the exterior.

I cannot believe that they were painted in different colors as they look. Isn't it the effect of light-up?

The inside of the commander hatch seems to be painted in white. But, the interior of the turret does not look white. I think that it is the same color as the exterior.

Taki
Last edited by Takizawa on July 2nd, 2011, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 2nd, 2011, 6:20 am #10

Steve, Taki,

thanks a lot for your input.

Even if some photos seem to show a white turret hatch interior, I can't believe this and would think the reason is the sunlight on these surfaces. If the interior of the turret and the hull is the exterior color (grey or green resp.), then it would make no sense to paint the inside of the hatch in a different color.

All those mysteries...

Would it be possible that the interior was covered with some anti-corrosion paint or primer or so? Or what would the reason be to paint the interior like the exterior?

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Rathgeb on July 2nd, 2011, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.