Tying camoflage color together?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Tying camoflage color together?

jan abrahamsson
jan abrahamsson

March 6th, 2003, 8:01 am #1

guys,

Im sure this has been covered before but not sure what to search for.

Im looking for a way to "tone-down" or "lessen" the contrast between the three colors in German AFV cammo.

Is there a good color to use as a "overspray" for the whole vehicle or should one do it differently?

Any hints very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jan

Paul Wright
Paul Wright

March 6th, 2003, 5:20 pm #2

Hi Jan,

With regard to your question, I find that the best way to tone down and blend 3 colour camo is as follows:

Say for example I want to do a standard Dark Yellow base coat with Dark Green and Red soft-edge camo, I spray the base coat and camo, then spray a very fine "mist" of the base coat plus a little Tamiya Buff, diluted to about 70-80% thinners over the entire camo scheme. It's important only to "mist" this coat, you have to hold the brush quite far from the model and be very careful not to build the paint up on any particular area.

I find that this technique gives a nice blended and slightly weathered look to my German armour.

Give it a try!.

Paul

jan abrahamsson
jan abrahamsson

March 6th, 2003, 7:26 pm #3

like a good idea, I guess I just have to try it to see the effect first hand.

Did I understand correctly if you said
1. First a mist of base color, ie dark yellow
2. Second mist of Tamiya Buff ?

So, 2 separate layers of "mist"

Thank you very much,
Jan